Idea for new helmet...

ultra5

Reaction score
Me and a fellow cowboy friend were watching the USC game tonight and got talkin about different NFL uni's...

So many teams have really brought their uni's into the future - with mostly positive effects.

We both love the Cowboys classic look, but agreed we might be due for a slight update in 09 when the new stadium opens in Arlington.

This may seem a bit odd, but i always thought the Vikings had ugly uniforms until i saw us play them in pre-season on HI-DEF tv... Their purple metallic helmets literally glistened on the screen, and thought - WOW - they don't look bad after all!!!

I was thinking about how it would be cool if we had a deep metallic navy blue helmet (think: candy apple navy with a hint of silver metallic to it) with a silver star outlined in white. I'm no good at photoshop, but i'd like to see what it could look like, cuz i think it could be cool and bold.

I'm not sure what color jersey we could wear with it, but maybe white or silver/grey with navy numbers outlined in white? (i definitely don't like the blue jerseys, either!!!)...

The only alternate jersey i've ever liked is our "double star" jersey circa 1994. (I believe we wore them in 1994?)

I mainly wonder what a navy helmet would look like with the "silver star"... i think it might be kind of "bold" looking... as an alternative to what surely has become a classic over the years.

Am i crazy? Am i committing sacrilege by thinking this way?.... :laugh2:

Thoughts???

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
IMO the only team that needed new unis was Tampa. All the others need to go back to the classics.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ultra5 said:
Me and a fellow cowboy friend were watching the USC game tonight and got talkin about different NFL uni's...

So many teams have really brought their uni's into the future - with mostly positive effects.

We both love the Cowboys classic look, but agreed we might be due for a slight update in 09 when the new stadium opens in Arlington.

This may seem a bit odd, but i always thought the Vikings had ugly uniforms until i saw us play them in pre-season on HI-DEF tv... Their purple metallic helmets literally glistened on the screen, and thought - WOW - they don't look bad after all!!!

I was thinking about how it would be cool if we had a deep metallic navy blue helmet (think: candy apple navy with a hint of silver metallic to it) with a silver star outlined in white. I'm no good at photoshop, but i'd like to see what it could look like, cuz i think it could be cool and bold.

I'm not sure what color jersey we could wear with it, but maybe white or silver/grey with navy numbers outlined in white? (i definitely don't like the blue jerseys, either!!!)...

The only alternate jersey i've ever liked is our "double star" jersey circa 1994. (I believe we wore them in 1994?)

I mainly wonder what a navy helmet would look like with the "silver star"... i think it might be kind of "bold" looking... as an alternative to what surely has become a classic over the years.

Am i crazy? Am i committing sacrilege by thinking this way?.... :laugh2:

Thoughts???
I totally and completely disagree with that. On the college and the pro level the uniform changes of recent years are beyond ugly and the designers should be lambasted for them.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
I'd have to get an idea with a photoshop of your idea. But I dont want to mess with our logo. make a messed up star or sumthing. wut I would do is make the blue on our home unis' darker. (to match our star in the helmet)

other than that i'm ok with. btw, from all the new logo changes etc. I really liked the Falcons logo. good upgrade. :D

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
ultra5 said:
Thoughts???

What exactly is candy apple navy ? I have seen seen candy apple red (makes sense), but navy blue ? mmmmm...not so much.

My guess is you and your friend have been drinking too much.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
What exactly is candy apple navy ? I have seen seen candy apple red (makes sense), but navy blue ? mmmmm...not so much.

My guess is you and your friend have been drinking too much.
Candy apple is a color line in automotive paint. It isn't just a red.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
i don't mind a startling departure as a novelty to be used on rare occasions (like the throwback royal-blue-on-white) but i'm generally against messing with the metallic-blue format of the helmets and uni pants. i guess i'm a codger like that.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Hostile said:

Bull.

Have you ever seen a "BLUE" candy apple ?

Maybe in the paint industry its a new term.
But realistically, I have never seen a Blue candy apple.

In my day that color was called "Electric Blue".

Same thing.

In the paint industry they throw a pearl coat behind it and name it something different.

My Dad builds Hot Rods as a hobby. He used to have a truck painted "antelope gold". I would call it gold with a pink tint.

Gibbs II

Reaction score
Im sorry but try making

"think: candy apple navy with a hint of silver metallic to it"

sound straight.:laugh2:

I dont think you guys need a new uni, stick to the classic. Besides the iggles, all the teams in the NFCE have the same kind of unis.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Gibbs II said:
Im sorry but try making

"think: candy apple navy with a hint of silver metallic to it"

sound straight.:laugh2:

I dont think you guys need a new uni, stick to the classic. Besides the iggles, all the teams in the NFCE have the same kind of unis.

Not really.

The Giants, and Commanders have changed to metallic helmets over the past few years.

ultra5

Reaction score
ha ha...

:laugh2:

i have been drinkin a little whiskey tonight - among other things...

first thing is, i'm just talking here ... i don't even know if it would look good b/c i suck at photo-shop.

but seriously, i got my cadillac in "blue chip" b/c i love navy blue... (probably has somethin to do with my Cowboys?)

has anyone ever seen a new caddy in that navy metallic blue they call "blue chip"??? it's a pretty sweet color...

and NO - i ain't talkin about some flashy "bright blue" color for our helmets that DONT go with our uni's... I'm just talkin about a deep navy metallic blue.

i think that might look sharp with a silver star on it...

on 2nd thought... since i got a tough crowd here... maybe i'll get back to my beer.... :laugh2:

on 3rd thought... if Jerrah hired YOU to come up with an updated helmet - how would you do it?... i mean it's hard to improve perfection i know - but if you HAD to and were PAID to do it for the team you love?

HighTechDave

7 Years of College Down the Drain
Reaction score
"bass boats"

good one Tom

quit tricking up the iniforms, and leave it alone. tell the marketing department I'm not buying into anything new/tricked up stuff, just to buy new stuff.

hell all i want is a old Tom Landry Pe-Season training camp hat. basic, nothing crazy.

oh, a Dallas Cowboys Chearleaders Blow Up Doll might look good on the couch when da boyz come over, lol.

hmmmmmmm (they never thought about that one, lol)

go for it, make some bucks Jerry.....

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
HighTechDave said:
hell all i want is a old Tom Landry Pe-Season training camp hat. basic, nothing crazy.

oh, a Dallas Cowboys Chearleaders Blow Up Doll might look good on the couch when da boyz come over, lol.

And I thought Hos and I were drunk.

:lmao2:

ultra5

Reaction score
HighTechDave said:
"bass boats"

good one Tom

quit tricking up the iniforms, and leave it alone. tell the marketing department I'm not buying into anything new/tricked up stuff, just to buy new stuff.

i love bass fishing... so i know exactly what you are referring to - and I AIN'T talkin about NOTHING too glittery or funky like that... I'm not talkin about those HEINOUS Blue Giants helmets either - they are way too bright for my taste... I'm talking about something way more subtle... but just a deep navy with a hint of silver metallic in it that you could only see on a closeup on high def!!!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
And I thought Hos and I were drunk.

:lmao2:
I don't drink, so it isn't that. Don't think I went to the dentist today. Must have hit my head.

HighTechDave

7 Years of College Down the Drain
Reaction score
Get Ranger or Skeeter to make a Cowboys Anniversary Edition, and Randy White plus a few others here would be all over it.

now back helmets

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Hostile said:

I only know of two colors of apples and none of them are blue.

And I've never heard of candy apple green.