Ideal secondary?

Revel and Porter on the outside
Bland in the slot
Downs and Thompson at safety?
I'd take Durant over Revel, but this is what I would do.

Allows Bland to play much more to his skillset in the slot and gives Downs/Thompson more freedom to play off of each other.

I do think Hooker is a good player, and should see the field though.
 
Revel? Watching this team you put Revel over Durant? Not I. Not even close IMO. Maybe at some point, but not yet
To be clear, I don't think Durant is all that good either, just serviceable. Between Bland and Durant as horrible as Bland has been, it's a tough call.
Can we trade all 3 of Bland, Durant and Revel for what's behind door #2?
 
Scheme issue. Teams have obviously figured out how to beat Parker's scheme. As you said, they are wide open. That's not a player issue, that's scheme. It's time for the great Parker to adjust.
This is where my optimism with the JPJ trade comes in. I’m hopeful CP uses this opportunity to run a wider variety of coverages.

My fear is that we have more of a detail issue that a larger scheme issue though. These DBs seem to be consistently playing with poor positioning and leverage. We’ve also gone to man or match coverage in some head scratching moments.
 
When everyone is healthy Downs in the nickel is playing CPs hybrid "Nickel CB" position which includes a decent amount of slot corner, a decent amount of free and a decent amount of in the box robber/rover. That's the one thing we know, so we may not see 3 CBs on the field all that much unless it's more a dime set. So I'm not sure all of these alignments everyone is posting with Bland in the slot and two other outside CBs are going to match what the team does too often
 
Here's the deal. If Parker really bases his entire scheme on coverage, that means you have to have 7 guys who can all cover at a high level. Never seen that work like ever.

Base it on pressure, and you need 2 guys who create pressure at a high level and only decent cover guys.
 
I was off the Revel bandwagon when I saw him
Get routed up by a TE
I'm getting off it for health reasons. Takes him two full years to come back from an ACL, and has to wear a brace forever because of his head. Then last week he acts like he's going to lose his leg, but it was a mild enough injury that he's able to practice and play the next week.

Plus he's had some Diggs-like moments when it comes to tackling. He might just not be very tough.
 
Maybe. Ill admit that players have a shorter leash from me and its unfair.

But Ansley, Muschamp, and Parker have their work cut out.
Revel has the physical ability, but he was extremely raw coming, not to mention coming off a major injury. And then add in that he's a small school guy(East Carolina), and the odds are against him. There are only so many DWare's and Charvarius Ward's in the draft, and taking them consistently will result in a ton of draft busts. Just hope Revel is one of the rare ones.
 
It would be “ideal” for Revel to pan out for sure. But right now I’d say Durant has that spot. Also, isn’t Devin Moore returning soon? How has Speed been playing?
 
It would be “ideal” for Revel to pan out for sure. But right now I’d say Durant has that spot. Also, isn’t Devin Moore returning soon? How has Speed been playing?
Moore has been an injury waiting to happen for 3-4 years now. I wish we'd stop taking those guys.
 
This is where my optimism with the JPJ trade comes in. I’m hopeful CP uses this opportunity to run a wider variety of coverages.

My fear is that we have more of a detail issue that a larger scheme issue though. These DBs seem to be consistently playing with poor positioning and leverage. We’ve also gone to man or match coverage in some head scratching moments.
There's not too much variety to run when you have one functional corner and no passrush.

I do think Porter can have a bit of a ripple effect on the defense though, if he can just cover the backside WR in man. It changes the math in the rest of the secondary.
 
Revel is 6'1 200.... could he play FS in the nickel? Our safeties are so slow and cant seem to cover the field.
 
There's not too much variety to run when you have one functional corner and no passrush.

I do think Porter can have a bit of a ripple effect on the defense though, if he can just cover the backside WR in man. It changes the math in the rest of the secondary.
And the pass rush is what’s going to be key, you’re spot on.

JPJ is Good enough to let you change the math and play more split field coverages and cover 6 variants to help your #2 corner, but I think most would agree that JPJ is the in very good category not the elite category and will look very ordinary if asked to constantly cover for 4+ seconds.

It’ll also be interesting to see if CP elects to mostly change the coverage math or the pressure math. I have no idea what the actual numbers from the Houston game look like (so im probably off) but it felt like the blitz rate was hire than it had been through 3 games.
 

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
476,140
Messages
14,669,445
Members
24,227
Latest member
Nathaniel
Back
Top