If 5 QB's go, we will have a great prospect fall

DFWJC

Reaction score
Agreed, but it scares me that so many of the "experts" have the first few teams in the draft ALL going quarterback. :omg:

How often have the "experts" nailed the first 5 or 6 picks exactly right? Lamb fell to 17, I bet if we checked almost none of the "experts" predicted that. This of course is one time I hope they're right...
True

Only a couple of "experts" had Lamb dropping past the 10-12 range. Kiper had him 13, for example. He was all alone in his own tier at 17,

Unlike this year, where Chase has separated some from the other top WRs, last year there were 3 WRs that were all grouped together. Most thought one of them might be there when Dallas picked, but the thought was it'd be Ruggs.

The only thing almost certain this year is that 3 QBs will go before us.
Could be 3, 4 or 5....but for sure 3.
Chase is also pretty much a certainty.
After that, we'll see.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Let's assume 5 QB's go ahead of us, which is very possible. That leaves 5 non QB positions left in the top 10:

Chase, Pitts, Sewell, Slater, Surtain, Parsons, Horn

At least 1 will be there. If one of the Bama receivers get selected, 2 will be there from this group.

My short list at 10 in no order:

- Sewell
- Slater
- Parsons
- Chase
- Pitts

I think there is a very good chance one will be there, but I don't feel confident the Cowboys will pick one. My gut says they'll go CB instead which is a slight reach IMO.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
My short list at 10 in no order:

- Sewell
- Slater
- Parsons
- Chase
- Pitts

I think there is a very good chance one will be there, but I don't feel confident the Cowboys will pick one. My gut says they'll go CB instead which is a slight reach IMO.
I'm fine with all 5 players and Surtain at 10. Basically, all we need is 4 QB's to go ahead of us. 3 are locks, just need 1 other.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I am making a bold prediction. 6 quarterbacks go in the top 20. The WFT, Patriots and the Bears have to come away with a quarterback early.
6 might be a stretch, but 5 appear to be the case. I've heard the QB class doesn't look great on paper for next yr, so these teams might be more willing to deal now.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
6 might be a stretch, but 5 appear to be the case. I've heard the QB class doesn't look great on paper for next yr, so these teams might be more willing to deal now.
Desperate teams do desperate things. The Cowboys will benefit either way.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Yeah, you're basically hoping someone comes out of nowhere next year. Now that did happen with Burrow and to an extent with Jones and Wilson. But there surely is no guarantee. All the QBs who could plausibly have come out this year did so. The cupboard looks to be bare for 2022. I think there is a lot of pressure on clubs that need someone. Maybe that even forces the Falcons' hand since Ryan is 36.

visionary

Reaction score
I’d rather go the other way and hope that Fields is there at 10 so we can trade down with NE or Chicago

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Let's assume 5 QB's go ahead of us, which is very possible. That leaves 5 non QB positions left in the top 10:

Chase, Pitts, Sewell, Slater, Surtain, Parsons, Horn

At least 1 will be there. If one of the Bama receivers get selected, 2 will be there from this group.
Having alot of needs spread the risk for us we get a player of need. Not such a great concept but it's in play right now.

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
How so? If that happens, there are several teams just below Dallas - Washington, Minnesota, etc. that are in need of a quarterback - but their second rounders are not better than Dallas' 44. No benefit to Dallas to drop a few spots...
Duh, we get their first and that little lower second round. ? If their second round picks were ahead of us , wouldnt they likely be picking ahead of us anyway in round 1?
Trade downs play out that way. A little lower second and a third( wishful) or something next year thrown in is fine.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Duh, we get their first and that little lower second round. ? If their second round picks were ahead of us , wouldnt they likely be picking ahead of us anyway in round 1?
Trade downs play out that way. A little lower second and a third( wishful) or something next year thrown in is fine.

Washington isn't ahead of Dallas, they pick 19th and 51st for their first two picks. I'd rather have 10 and 44 instead of 19 and 51. Getting an extra pick around 75 would be okay, but I doubt Wash would do that. And I don't want a 2022 pick, Cowboys are on borrowed time with T. Smith, LVE, etc. They need more players this year, gives them a year to evaluate the draft picks before T. Smith, etc. might be gone...

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
Washington isn't ahead of Dallas, they pick 19th and 51st for their first two picks. I'd rather have 10 and 44 instead of 19 and 51. Getting an extra pick around 75 would be okay, but I doubt Wash would do that. And I don't want a 2022 pick, Cowboys are on borrowed time with T. Smith, LVE, etc. They need more players this year, gives them a year to evaluate the draft picks before T. Smith, etc. might be gone...

I dont want to deal with Washington and I think Dallas wouldnt be too high on it either. NE is the dance partner I get a feel for

DFWJC

Reaction score
Washington picks 19, 51 and 163 gets them up to 10 .
That's pretty enticing

We'd then have in the top 100

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I get the gut feeling that the pick will be Horn. Surtain will probably be the first defender taken, and I can't see 9 offensive players in a row all going before us. Then if it comes down to Parsons vs Horn, I think Jerry still thinks he can salvage something out of all his capital in Jaylon and LVE, while we have nothing at outside CB. Jerry covets super-athletic splashy guys and Parsons and Horn both fit the bill, but positional need will win out IMO.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Having alot of needs spread the risk for us we get a player of need. Not such a great concept but it's in play right now.
Drafting for need in the top 10 is never good, always take best talent available or trade out.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah, you're basically hoping someone comes out of nowhere next year. Now that did happen with Burrow and to an extent with Jones and Wilson. But there surely is no guarantee. All the QBs who could plausibly have come out this year did so. The cupboard looks to be bare for 2022. I think there is a lot of pressure on clubs that need someone. Maybe that even forces the Falcons' hand since Ryan is 36.
I'm in the minority, but think Atlanta takes Lance and has him develop a yr or two behind Ryan.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
The Cowboys will get a top 2 player at a position no matter what happens because at least 4 quarterbacks go are going in round one. My fear is Waddle/Smith might drop to 10, one of the corners is taken in the top 9 and both tackles are taken in the top 9. Then we get screwed with a trade down to 15 because I don’t think Horne/Surtain would last that long if one goes in the top 10.

Dream scenario, one of the quarterbacks drop to 10 and two corners/Slater are still on the board.
If Dallas wants one of the two CB’s, they’re probably going to have to take them at 10. There is a strong likelihood that Philly takes a corner at 12, I think. If one goes before 10, there really isn’t a chance the other will last to 15, IMO.

Last edited:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If Dallas wants one of the two CB’s, they’re probably going to have to take them at 10. There is a strong likelihood that Philly takes a corner at 12, I think. If one goes before 10, there really isn’t a chance the other will last to 15, IMO.
I have been listening to the talk radio shows in New York, Philadelphia, San Diego and Minnesota. The only team that might take a cornerback is Philadelphia but they seem to want to take a receiver. The Eagles are a wild card so you never know. If Surtain/Horne make to 10 it’s a good chance one might make it to 15.