If Bledsoe wins a SB, where does he go in the Cowboys QB Pantheon?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
If Bledsoe wins a Super Bowl this year or next, where do you put him in the Pantheon of great Cowboys QBs?

I'm gonna assume Staubach and Aikman are still at the top. Someone will need multiple rings and probably a lifelong career on the Cowboys before replacing them, but maybe you view it differently.

Compared to Don Meredith, Danny White, Craig Morton and Quincy Carter (<-- just checking to see if you're reading :p: ) where would Bledsoe fit if he wins a Super Bowl? 3rd best ever? Or does Dandy Don go higher than him regardless?

If Bledsoe can help Dallas win the SB he will be the 3rd Dallas QB to do so as for where would he rank I would just say he would rank with the top QB's to play on this team. As for Meredith he will all represent the beginning of respectability of the Dallas Cowboys from an expansion team to a true contender

DallasDomination

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Bledsoe ahead of Meredith? Oh man you must be kidding me. Did you even see one game Meredith played in?

No I never seen Meridth Play. Bottom Line Meridith is important to us COWBOYs but You cant be serious thinking that old timer has more talent than Bledsoe....But hey I get your point He's a COWBOY gotta respect him yadi yadi yadi. All I'm saying is if Bledsoe wins a SB with the COWBOys IMO he's up there with Aikman and Staubach, no offense to Danny and Meridith.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
If Bledsoe wins a Super Bowl this year or next, where do you put him in the Pantheon of great Cowboys QBs?

I'm gonna assume Staubach and Aikman are still at the top. Someone will need multiple rings and probably a lifelong career on the Cowboys before replacing them, but maybe you view it differently.

Compared to Don Meredith, Danny White, Craig Morton and Quincy Carter (<-- just checking to see if you're reading :p: ) where would Bledsoe fit if he wins a Super Bowl? 3rd best ever? Or does Dandy Don go higher than him regardless?

What do Pantheon mean...

Eddie

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
once you put on the uniform, you're a real Cowboy

Sorry, not that easy. The Star on the helmet is earned ... not given out.

Anthony Thomas wore the uniform, but will NEVER be a Cowboy.

That lame azzed QB who got kicked out of camp the season Quincy was brought on board wore the uniform, and will NEVER NEVER be a Cowboy.

It's harder to be a Cowboy than it is to be a Marine. To be a Cowboy, you have to earn the Star through blood, sweat, and tears. Nothing else.

Wearing the jersey for a year or two does NOT make you a Cowboy.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
There's a simple answer to this question he will rank in accordance to how many SB he wins. If it's one he's right behind Staubach. More than three and he's right above Aikman. Like it or not. This crap about a real Cowboy is non-sense. If you're ever a Cowboy you're a real Cowboy (at the very least for the time you're here). You win a championship in Dallas and you're cast into the Legends of Lore.

SS

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
skinsscalper said:
There's a simple answer to this question he will rank in accordance to how many SB he wins. If it's one he's right behind Staubach. More than three and he's right above Aikman. Like it or not. This crap about a real Cowboy is non-sense. If you're ever a Cowboy you're a real Cowboy (at the very least for the time you're here). You win a championship in Dallas and you're cast into the Legends of Lore.

SS

Maybe, Maybe not.

I think it probably depends on how many years and how many Superbowls.

If he is one and done and we move on, maybe not.

If he is starting for multiple ones then I would say so.

People will always call Jay Novacek a Cowboy even though he was not drafted by the boys, People will always think of Haley as a cowboy even though he was brought in.

Not sure about other players who may have only came in for a year or so but did not do too much. How many people would consider Chris Warren a cowboy .

gbrittain

Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
He don't need a ring to guarantee his spot in Canton, assuming he plays for at least 2 more seasons and produces the same type of numbers he did last year, he will finish with over 50,000 career yards......no way that is going to be ignored, especially if Warren Moon got in on his first try.

He has had a great career and if Drew were to hang it up right now he would still get in, just not likely on the 1st ballot......

We have our differences concerning Drew Bledsoe, so dont take this the wrong way.

I was listening on the radio to an actual HOF voter who voted for Warren Moon, but when the host of the show brought up DB the guy said no way he votes for DB.

I think among many, Warren and DB are viewed differently despite the statistics.

Kind of like the way I view DB (Better) and Vinny T (Worse) differently. Not saying they are right or wrong at this point just pointing out what I heard by an actual HOF voter.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
gbrittain said:
We have our differences concerning Drew Bledsoe, so dont take this the wrong way.

I was listening on the radio to an actual HOF voter who voted for Warren Moon, but when the host of the show brought up DB the guy said no way he votes for DB.

I think among many, Warren and DB are viewed differently despite the statistics.

Kind of like the way I view DB (Better) and Vinny T (Worse) differently. Not saying they are right or wrong at this point just pointing out what I heard by an actual HOF voter.

I'm willing to be he will be singing another tune after this season......;)

gbrittain

Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
I'm willing to be he will be singing another tune after this season......;)

No question that a Superbowl wins changes everything. Here is to Drew Bledsoe winning a Superbowl next year!

ravidubey

Reaction score
Eddie said:
If he wins a Super Bowl, he'll be considered a great hired gun.

To be a true Cowboys QB, he needs to play in a Cowboys uniform for at least 5-6 seasons.

Anything less is just a hired gun, and NOT a real Cowboy.

We my feel that way now, but should this great event happen Drew skyrockets in status. After Roger and Troy but in the mix with White and Merideth.

The Superbowl is what it is all about, and I can't see Drew retiring if after that game he still can play, the team is competitive, and he has an opportunity to start. So overall we're talking about 3-4 years with Bledsoe if (and it's a big if) he wins that game.

He has the pedigree, the arm, talent, and toughness to wear the helmet with pride, so he should be considered a Cowboy great if he wins that game.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Eddie said:
Sorry, not that easy. The Star on the helmet is earned ... not given out.

going out to play for the boys, and getting knocked around wearing a star is definitely earning the right be called a Dallas Cowboy

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Staubach...Aikman...Henson...Bledsoe in that order if he wins one.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
Staubach...Aikman...Henson...Bledsoe in that order if he wins one.
henson? give me a break.

steve pelluer's done more for the cowboys than henson. gary hogeboom's more significant to date. glenn caranno, too.

how 'bout he does something - anything - before we group him with the great or even very good....

today henson is zero. tomorrow? ...we'll see.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Aikman for me is #1, thats debatable though, but he was the QB of my era.

I would put Bledsoe up there at #3 behind Aikman and Staubach if he wins a SB for one simple reason, he won a SB.

Meredith, White, they had good careers, but the Super Bowl is all that ultimately matters, especially around these parts. White was close to getting us there, but he DID NOT, so IF Bledsoe wins one while in Dallas, he gets #3 IMO.

Another question, if he wins the big one, where does that leave Bledsoe amongst all-time QB's in general? I would say he's gotta move up the list with that accomplishment already. His numbers are quite gaudy, and if he had a ring (or at least a ring that he won as a full time starter), that has to hold some weight.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Here's my list of starters based ONLY on their career with the Cowboys:

#1 Roger Staubach
#2 Troy Aikman
#3 Don Meredith
#4 Danny White
#5 Craig Morton
#6 Drew Bledsoe
#7 Eddie LeBaron
#8 Quincy Carter
#9 Steve Pelleur
#10 Vinny Testaverde
#11 Gary Hogeboom

If we were going with entire careers, and considering backups, Testaverde and Bledsoe would be higher and I'd also have to consider guys like Steve Beuerlein and Bernie Kosar.

I agree with this post

Cowchips

Reaction score
Still, with Bledsoe's stats, if he adds 1 or 2 superbowls to that he had a better career than any former Dallas QB. He may not have done it with a star on his helmet but his NFL career will still have been better.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Cowchips said:
Still, with Bledsoe's stats, if he adds 1 or 2 superbowls to that he had a better career than any former Dallas QB. He may not have done it with a star on his helmet but his NFL career will still have been better.

Better? Depends on the definition. Career totals are very good, but there are many ways to evaluate QBs. You can include QB ratings into the evaluation. It is not the only thing, but just an added tool. So is Superbowl wins. Not only the wins, but how the QB performed to get the team there and in the game. Roethlisberger did nothing to help the Steelers in the SB. Consider the eras that the QBs played in as well. QBs in the early eras of the NFL tend to have lower ratings and totals due to the different rules. The rules have really changed to open up the passing game and make it easier for QBs to be more efficient. Here are some QB ratings of some notable QBs:

96.8 Steve Young
93.5 Peyton Manning
92.3 Joe Montana
91.4 Duante Culpepper
88.5 Tom Brady
86.9 Brett Favre
86.4 Dan Marino
84.1 Donovan McNabb
83.4 Roger Staubach
81.7 Danny White
81.6 Troy Aikman
81.5 Dave Krieg