CFZ If Cooper Rush Has to Be Our Starter

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Let's hope not.

But does anyone else think this team is not only built for Dak, but also without him, and almost especially for Cooper Rush? I think it's pretty awesome.

I actually have confident in Rush, and more so now that weapons like Cooks pan out, and even more. If weapons like Schoon end up hitting, Oh my..I suspect Cooper is throwing harder this season. If he worked on anything it was probably agility and arm-strength. That would have been my offseason advice to Rush. He could be a good player. I still think that. Just needs to study guys like Testaverde, Warner, Flutie, day I say, George, even Dilfer, and Romo as a backup.

He's got a lot of those different sorts of traits as a player. That's seems to be the approach Chris Vaughn has taken with Deuce: matching players to study or emulate that match the ability, at least as far as the things you really can do, and I would say really focus on Kurt Warner.. Because of the limited arm thing. But you can actually work on strength. I know a guy who went from playing baseball at Concordia to being one of the best set up players in baseball. But that would be my advise to Cooper Rush.. just study, and be like the great ones, study what they do, but at the end of the day you're still you. Just upgrade your weapons, so-to-speak.

I think Deuece is a good example of why you should listen to the experts advising you. And think he'll be a good inspiration for teammates to see, hey, if Deuece can do it.. I'm going to do it, too. I think our bottom of the roster players were feeling down at when their time came around, and that's tough when you're playing an extension philosophy defense, where players are knowing what the others are doing and playing their role rather than gang tackling.

Anyway, cheers to those guys. That's what the preseason is about.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
One thing that would help Rush that is going to help Prescott too is that there will be lots of underneath options. Sure, we are going to take shots downfield if we get a matchup we like, but the West Coast offense is built around the short passing game.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper Rush had multiple opportunities to impress Jerry Jones. He would have continued spitting out soundbites of how well Cooper Rush has performed well after Rush had been regulated back to the sidelines if a sizable impression had been made.

Rush will be the starter if Dak Prescott sustains an injury that sidelines him. Otherwise, Rush will be holding a clipboard.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
If Dak goes down long-term you're better off trying to trade for someone (Trey Lance, maybe) with a better arm who can make big plays and just hope to catch lightning in a bottle.

Rush can manage a few games, but you have no ceiling with him long term.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Let's hope not.

But does anyone else think this team is not only built for Dak, but also without him, and almost especially for Cooper Rush? I think it's pretty awesome.

I actually have confident in Rush, and more so now that weapons like Cooks pan out, and even more. If weapons like Schoon end up hitting, Oh my..I suspect Cooper is throwing harder this season. If he worked on anything it was probably agility and arm-strength. That would have been my offseason advice to Rush. He could be a good player. I still think that. Just needs to study guys like Testaverde, Warner, Flutie, day I say, George, even Dilfer, and Romo as a backup.

He's got a lot of those different sorts of traits as a player. That's seems to be the approach Chris Vaughn has taken with Deuce: matching players to study or emulate that match the ability, at least as far as the things you really can do, and I would say really focus on Kurt Warner.. Because of the limited arm thing. But you can actually work on strength. I know a guy who went from playing baseball at Concordia to being one of the best set up players in baseball. But that would be my advise to Cooper Rush.. just study, and be like the great ones, study what they do, but at the end of the day you're still you. Just upgrade your weapons, so-to-speak.

I think Deuece is a good example of why you should listen to the experts advising you. And think he'll be a good inspiration for teammates to see, hey, if Deuece can do it.. I'm going to do it, too. I think our bottom of the roster players were feeling down at when their time came around, and that's tough when you're playing an extension philosophy defense, where players are knowing what the others are doing and playing their role rather than gang tackling.

Anyway, cheers to those guys. That's what the preseason is about.
What?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
All you have to do is look at the crappy qbs the 49ers have had in their wco and how they seem to do well enough with them.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We won games with Cooper Rush last season due to a solid running game, great defense and a consistent kicker. We had very little passing game with Rush, but our defense was giving up 17 or fewer points. Once our running game started to disappear and our vaunted pass rush faded, the losses would’ve started piling up with Rush. There’s some concerns about our offense and kicker entering this season. Not sure how our running game is going to pan out or if we’re going to be stuck looking for a new kicker every few weeks. We can’t just put it on our defense to win games every week. With the schedule the Cowboys have it’s going to be much tougher to stay afloat if they lose Dak for an extended period.

Jarntt

Reaction score
IMO we were lucky last year and won in spite of Cooper not because of him. I think he did some things well enough in a couple of the games, but just isn't very good. So, I think if Dak goes down we are in trouble. But, I do think we are better suited to win this year without Dak than we were last year, so who knows. Maybe lightning strikes twice.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Cooper Rush had multiple opportunities to impress Jerry Jones. He would have continued spitting out soundbites of how well Cooper Rush has performed well after Rush had been regulated back to the sidelines if a sizable impression had been made.

Rush will be the starter if Dak Prescott sustains an injury that sidelines him. Otherwise, Rush will be holding a clipboard.
Cooper Rush wins football games. 8)

leeblair

Reaction score
IMO we were lucky last year and won in spite of Cooper not because of him. I think he did some things well enough in a couple of the games, but just isn't very good. So, I think if Dak goes down we are in trouble. But, I do think we are better suited to win this year without Dak than we were last year, so who knows. Maybe lightning strikes twice.
Cooper Rush showed leadership that Dak doesn't understand.
He played well, and the Cowboys were better with him than Dak.
Rush would have won vs San Francisco; Dak laid an egg.

leeblair

Reaction score
We won games with Cooper Rush last season due to a solid running game, great defense and a consistent kicker. We had very little passing game with Rush, but our defense was giving up 17 or fewer points. Once our running game started to disappear and our vaunted pass rush faded, the losses would’ve started piling up with Rush. There’s some concerns about our offense and kicker entering this season. Not sure how our running game is going to pan out or if we’re going to be stuck looking for a new kicker every few weeks. We can’t just put it on our defense to win games every week. With the schedule the Cowboys have it’s going to be much tougher to stay afloat if they lose Dak for an extended period.
The defense struggled when Dak came back and the offense became inept.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The defense struggled when Dak came back and the offense became inept.
The defense began to struggle when Dak came back, but the offense (passing game) began to flourish. The Cowboys became the highest scoring offense in the league when Dak returned. We had very little passing game under Cooper Rush and we weren’t scoring many points. However, our running game fizzled out when Dak returned.