CFZ If Cooper Rush Has to Be Our Starter

Flamma

Reaction score
The only problem I have with Rush is his arm strength. It's not that he doesn't have a good arm, he has a noticeably weak arm. It's as if he's shooting a basketball with his passes. Even a 10-15 yard out has noticeable arc.

If his arm strength was just normal, he might be a pretty good QB.

75boyz

Reaction score
I guess you'd hafta ask yourself will the dee be dominant enough to carry a bus driver QB?
Like the first part of last year.
And then you follow it up by asking is the team better by playing TOP, tough dee and field position type ball or are they better in the stay aggressive mentality like the way they played after the starter returned last year.

Supposedly, this is why this Super Bowl winning play caller head coach took it all upon himself to tailor the offense to his way this year.
In the hopes of improving upon post season success.

We shall see.

Aven8

Reaction score
Let's hope not.

But does anyone else think this team is not only built for Dak, but also without him, and almost especially for Cooper Rush? I think it's pretty awesome.

I actually have confident in Rush, and more so now that weapons like Cooks pan out, and even more. If weapons like Schoon end up hitting, Oh my..I suspect Cooper is throwing harder this season. If he worked on anything it was probably agility and arm-strength. That would have been my offseason advice to Rush. He could be a good player. I still think that. Just needs to study guys like Testaverde, Warner, Flutie, day I say, George, even Dilfer, and Romo as a backup.

He's got a lot of those different sorts of traits as a player. That's seems to be the approach Chris Vaughn has taken with Deuce: matching players to study or emulate that match the ability, at least as far as the things you really can do, and I would say really focus on Kurt Warner.. Because of the limited arm thing. But you can actually work on strength. I know a guy who went from playing baseball at Concordia to being one of the best set up players in baseball. But that would be my advise to Cooper Rush.. just study, and be like the great ones, study what they do, but at the end of the day you're still you. Just upgrade your weapons, so-to-speak.

I think Deuece is a good example of why you should listen to the experts advising you. And think he'll be a good inspiration for teammates to see, hey, if Deuece can do it.. I'm going to do it, too. I think our bottom of the roster players were feeling down at when their time came around, and that's tough when you're playing an extension philosophy defense, where players are knowing what the others are doing and playing their role rather than gang tackling.

Anyway, cheers to those guys. That's what the preseason is about.
What I like about Rush is he hits that back foot and releases the ball. He runs the play. That’s why he was successful.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
One thing that would help Rush that is going to help Prescott too is that there will be lots of underneath options. Sure, we are going to take shots downfield if we get a matchup we like, but the West Coast offense is built around the short passing game.
Intelligent reply.

Yeah, because Rush only saved the season last year.
How about you get real?
I think he's still underrated.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Cooper Rush showed leadership that Dak doesn't understand.
He played well, and the Cowboys were better with him than Dak.
Rush would have won vs San Francisco; Dak laid an egg.
Say what you want about Dak’s performance but if you are questioning his leadership I’m wondering if you follow this team closely or listen to anything any of the others players say About Dak

kskboys

Reaction score
The only problem I have with Rush is his arm strength. It's not that he doesn't have a good arm, he has a noticeably weak arm. It's as if he's shooting a basketball with his passes. Even a 10-15 yard out has noticeable arc.

If his arm strength was just normal, he might be a pretty good QB.
No, it is that he doesn't have a good arm.

If his arm strength were average, he'd be top 5. Dude knows how to play, loaded w/ the IT factor. Simply lacks the physical ability.

kskboys

Reaction score
If Rush is our starter, then we have a shot at Drake Maye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

plasticman

Reaction score
Probably one of the best short term QB's in the league. Basically, he's good at not losing the game and letting the other squads step up.

However, he would be a liability against the really good teams late in the season.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Let's hope not.

But does anyone else think this team is not only built for Dak, but also without him, and almost especially for Cooper Rush? I think it's pretty awesome.

I actually have confident in Rush, and more so now that weapons like Cooks pan out, and even more. If weapons like Schoon end up hitting, Oh my..I suspect Cooper is throwing harder this season. If he worked on anything it was probably agility and arm-strength. That would have been my offseason advice to Rush. He could be a good player. I still think that. Just needs to study guys like Testaverde, Warner, Flutie, day I say, George, even Dilfer, and Romo as a backup.

He's got a lot of those different sorts of traits as a player. That's seems to be the approach Chris Vaughn has taken with Deuce: matching players to study or emulate that match the ability, at least as far as the things you really can do, and I would say really focus on Kurt Warner.. Because of the limited arm thing. But you can actually work on strength. I know a guy who went from playing baseball at Concordia to being one of the best set up players in baseball. But that would be my advise to Cooper Rush.. just study, and be like the great ones, study what they do, but at the end of the day you're still you. Just upgrade your weapons, so-to-speak.

I think Deuece is a good example of why you should listen to the experts advising you. And think he'll be a good inspiration for teammates to see, hey, if Deuece can do it.. I'm going to do it, too. I think our bottom of the roster players were feeling down at when their time came around, and that's tough when you're playing an extension philosophy defense, where players are knowing what the others are doing and playing their role rather than gang tackling.

Anyway, cheers to those guys. That's what the preseason is about.
did you say cooper rush? built for cooper rush you said!? the same guy that we cut. went to giants. got cut. came back. got cut and not one team, not a single one wanted him even as a back up. so you think team is built for him.

I have next to zero confidence in rush. why? he led the offense to 22nd ranking and below in every offensive statistical category. for comparisons any team that ranked 20th and below didn't make the playoffs.
now, I am sure people will point to the wins. right? but forget to mention that in the wins the defense average 13.5 against per game. I could lead the team to a couple of victories with that kind of defense.
the one game defense gave up more than 20, we lost. and he got extremley, extremley lucky in Rams game. passing for less than 100. everyone wants to brush over that, but if Dak did that, then people want to tear him a new one. in fact people do when he has less than 300 yards.

if he was going to have strength. he would have already had it in his 5th year. noodle arm can only get so much better.

I have next to zero confidence in Cooper Rush.

Duece btw, is nothing but a gadget player at this point. if Duece is yoru primary back for more than 2 games, you are in deep doo doo.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If Dak goes down long-term you're better off trying to trade for someone (Trey Lance, maybe) with a better arm who can make big plays and just hope to catch lightning in a bottle.

Rush can manage a few games, but you have no ceiling with him long term.
he can manage a few games, if the defense helps him. without the defense, we would be helpless.

GMO415

Reaction score
If Dak goes down long-term you're better off trying to trade for someone (Trey Lance, maybe) with a better arm who can make big plays and just hope to catch lightning in a bottle.

Rush can manage a few games, but you have no ceiling with him long term.
I'd take Zach Wilson, because he ran the WCO at BYU and they are running one now at NY Jets.