If Dak is 9ers Qb in the 4th, they win

IheartRomo

Reaction score
No but we're losing a big athletic corner that can shut down an opposing teams WR.

You guys overrate a Corners ability to get a interception. I remember when Deangello Hall was all the craze on this forum back in the day even though he used to get beat like a drum.

Their first job is to not let the WR catch passes and run rampant on the defense. Anything after that is a bonus.

The guy doesn't get targeted much either. Jaylon Ramsey doesn't get a ton of INT's .. I wonder why...

For most of us, it's not that we don't think Byron is a good corner - he is. But IMO, it's very hard to justify allocating a huge portion of your cap to a guy who doesn't create turnovers. Elite DL force fumbles and create sacks that often times kill drives.

I'd love to be able to keep Byron but I don't think he brings enough value to justify top 5 corner money. I'd rather allocate resources to building a stronger DL. A strong DL covers up mediocre secondary play very nicely. Good DL play is almost always a part of the formula for SB contenders/winners.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
For most of us, it's not that we don't think Byron is a good corner - he is. But IMO, it's very hard to justify allocating a huge portion of your cap to a guy who doesn't create turnovers. Elite DL force fumbles and create sacks that often times kill drives.

I'd love to be able to keep Byron but I don't think he brings enough value to justify top 5 corner money.

Turnovers are just a small piece and if you haven't noticed none of our DB's in forever have produced a lot of turnovers and we have been playing the same scheme for a long time.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
Turnovers are just a small piece and if you haven't noticed none of our DB's in forever have produced a lot of turnovers and we have been playing the same scheme for a long time.

I don't believe the problem is him alone. As you said, we've struggled for over a decade in forcing turnovers. But Byron hasn't had an interception in 41 games and has 2 career INTs. Gilmore has 18 INTs over that same timeframe while also being great in coverage. I can't justify allocating that much cap space to a corner who doesn't provide your offense with the occasional short field. He's a great player but at top 5 corner price, I'd prefer to let him walk unfortunately.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well.. We're about to lose one of the best corner in football thanks to Dak's contract.. Kind of hard to build what we need with that contract looming.
BS. Some of you act like Dak is the only QB getting paid. He made peanuts the last four years, where are our trophies?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't believe the problem is him alone. As you said, we've struggled for over a decade in forcing turnovers. But Byron hasn't had an interception in 41 games and has 2 career INTs. Gilmore has 18 INTs over that same timeframe while also being great in coverage. I can't justify allocating that much cap space to a corner who doesn't provide your offense with the occasional short field. He's a great player but at top 5 corner price, I'd prefer to let him walk unfortunately.

I mean that is valid.. We're going to have to cut corners somewhere and if Dak is the QB then you almost have to have Amari.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
BS. Some of you act like Dak is the only QB getting paid. He made peanuts the last four years, where are our trophies?

So my question is where are the trophies for QB's that got paid...?

If elite QB's are struggling to win what is Dak going to do once he is made one of the highest paid NFL QB's...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You are correct. We didn't play Carolina this year. However, I did type Season opener *last year*.

I'll pretend like your literate. It's cute. LOL

Aikman as recently as a year ago was hammering Dak for his accuracy, publicly.
But Troy's opinion probably only counts when he's praising Dak, right?
What is your infatuation with last year? How is that relevant for the discussion at hand? Are you one of these guys that still talks about Wentz from 2017?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think you can look at the game and find situations where you say, Jimmy missed or he could have been better but I agree, not on that throw. To be honest, I actually think that Garoppolo outplayed Mahomes, right up until the 4th Qtr. To me, that's on Shannahan but whatever. He lost and that's the bottom line.
He did outplay him the first three quarters but he also was playing a much better defense.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
I mean that is valid.. We're going to have to cut corners somewhere and if Dak is the QB then you almost have to have Amari.

Yup - Dak's contract is an issue as well but the dropoff from Dak to a low paid QB is far greater IMO than the dropoff from Byron to a lower paid corner. Sure you could get lucky and draft another low round QB and hit the lottery again, but it's not likely.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He did outplay him the first three quarters but he also was playing a much better defense.

I don't know. I think both those teams are pretty decent defensively. I think this was on Coaching, more so then Jimmy G. Garoppolo is what he is. He gave them the lead, and a significant lead into the 4th quarter. The 49ers should have controlled the clock with the running game IMO. They didn't do that. To me, I just think the game was not really managed very well.

That's just my opinion.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
Garrapachoke was horrid, a lot of dinks and dunks and an occasional nice throw.

I’m still perplexed how Emmanuel Sanders got passed the Chiefs secondary. Garrapachoke really blew that gift with a huge overthrow. With the money Garrapachoke making, It’s a throw he has to make even if it’s short a yard.
Dak has missed that same type of throw many times.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yup - Dak's contract is an issue as well but the dropoff from Dak to a low paid QB is far greater IMO than the dropoff from Byron to a lower paid corner. Sure you could get lucky and draft another low round QB and hit the lottery again, but it's not likely.

But the problem is.. We need defense to win. We're just going to constantly be chasing our tail paying the wrong players.

Defense, coaching, and cheap QB's win championships. You better have at least 2 of the 3. Maybe we have 1. Maybe.