If Dak is signed I will back him

Cowfan75

Reaction score
I don't dislike the kid, and I think he's an outstanding athlete.
But he has issues. Saying so does not represent an insult. Part of those issues came from being coddled by Jones and Garrett- who never made him earn his spot in the preseason.
Any competition- Kellen Moore included- were never allowed to play behind the first string linemen, and Dak was never forced to play behind second string linemen.
This is why he never improved. He was made a team captain in his second year, which showed the immaturity of the Cowboys.
Dak chokes under pressure, but he can possibly get past that with adequate coaching.
He needs to mature. He needs to quit believing the hype of his diehard fans.
He needs to improve.
He needs to be the "guy" if the Cowboys hope to succeed next season.
But the fact is that a guy like Case Keenum is better than him right now.

Dak plays some of his best football under pressure, when it's all on the line. He needs to mature? No, he needs to play under a real head coach. Contract talk aside, we won't know what he truly is until that happens.

leeblair

Reaction score
when Garrett was signed did you back him? I didn't, I knew he was in over his head.
No, I knew he was a disaster from the time he flew to Dallas from Miami and was hired for "a position to be named later".
The way he backstabbed Phillips and tanked the 2009 playoff game vs the Vikings and then the 2010 season to ensure that Phillips didn't win a Super Bowl - which would mean Garrett would likely never be head coach in Dallas- I could no longer support him in any way.
Dak Prescott, unfortunately, does follow the example set by Garrett. He was never made to earn his spot.
Dak was the happiest guy in Dallas to see Kellen Moore be made a quarterback coach because he knew that Moore was better than him.
I don't like how Dak was picked. Cody Kessler outplayed Dak in the Senior Bowl, but Garrett was all in on Dak.
But the guy is an outstanding athlete.
However, if you watch his game film from college, you will see exactly what you have seen from him in Dallas;
He played great vs weaker teams, but became erratic when the pressure was on.
Jerry doesn't seem to see this, so I hope that McCarthy can make him better.
I'm just relieved that Garrett is finally gone and the stench of how he got his job is no longer in Dallas.

Aven8

Reaction score
I see you’re still mad Lucy pulled the football away.....

shabazz

Reaction score
But he has issues. Saying so does not represent an insult. Part of those issues came from being coddled by Jones and Garrett- who never made him earn his spot in the preseason.
Any competition- Kellen Moore included- were never allowed to play behind the first string linemen, and Dak was never forced to play behind second string linemen.
This is why he never improved. He was made a team captain in his second year, which showed the immaturity of the Cowboys.
Dak chokes under pressure, but he can possibly get past that with adequate coaching.
He needs to improve.

Nobody in this forum dislikes any player on personal level and Dakota is not an exceptional athlete. Even old man Rodgers can out scramble him.

Disagree with him having to mature. He has shown that by his work ethic and keeping his nose clean off the field. I just think hes not Elite talent and merely servicable

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He needs to improve.
Your memory is off. The reason Dak didn't have to earn his spot in preseason is that there was nobody to compete with him for the spot. Romo and Moore were both ahead of him on the depth chart, but both got hurt and Dak was the only QB standing.

As for Dak choking under pressure, for the most part that is actually when he has done well. The problem has been slow starts more than playing well with his back to the wall.

JBS

Reaction score
"The only stat that matters is wins and losses"

CloSe the thread right now...op is clueless

This is how you know he's having a go...he has no clue how the only stat he cares about matches up w the rest of the competition

Beyond that..just about everything else written in his post is stupid too

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Coach Mike McCarthy said Dak is a great QB. ;)
Bruce Arians said Jameis Winston is the QB of the future and now they're contemplating resigning him. The new HC coming in and saying, "We will assess that later" is practically saying he doesn't want to keep Dak. He said that to keep himself in the clear as he settles in Dallas.

Also, before you say: Jerry and Stephen will pay Dak. They've been saying that since last offseason and have yet to do so. Kinda strange. They're so high on Dak, but have yet to give him the contract he wants...they must not be 100% sold or they'd take the deal Dak's agent offered.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
He needs to improve.
Dak doesn't choke under pressure. That's BS. The only time he hasn't been successful in coming from behind is this year and this year only running a team with a sub-standard and dysfunctional coaching staff.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Daks stats are very misleading.
They don't show the games he cost the Cowboys with his poor throws, interceptions, choking, and quitting on the team.
Like most quarterbacks who throw for big stats he lost a lot.
The only stat that matters is Wins vs Losses.
Dak isn't doing too well in that category.
In 2017 the Cowboys were really 8-8. The only reason they got the ninth win was because Philadelphia rested their starters in the last game of the season.
So that's two 8-8 seasons and a 10-6 season in the weakest division in the NFL.
And the one 13-3 season was NOT because of Dak. It was because he was behind the strongest line in the NFL in the weakest division and had Ezekiel Elliott drawing the attention of opposing defenses.
Don't throw out stats to support your arguments; they aren't on his side.

You are not fooling anyone, you are trying to disguise a support post by really throwing out "you do not like him / he is not good" posts.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He needs to improve.

I will back him. I like Dak, and I think McC will do well with him.

Swagger

Reaction score
Interesting thought here and it's neither for or against Prescott.

Given that we are half way through January, I do not think Prescott will be signed to a long term contract before the 2020 draft.

I concede that he might be signed on a franchise tag beforehand.

The reason being - imagine if Tua or Herbert drop to #17?

There must be a fair chance that we would take him.

Reason being...potential top draw QB on a rookie contract.

People will claim that we have other needs that need addressing with greater priority but it would gives the Cowboys loads of leverage at the QB position.

It would mean that Prescott would have a prove it or lose it season, the rookie would not be rushed in to the fold as Prescott would be playing.

If Prescott plays lights out then we can simply trade the rookie QB as there will always be a taker for a QB like Tua or Herbert.

If Prescott struggles and continues to regress then we can ship him out and bring in the rookie QB for the 2020/21 season.

If he plays ok then we can offer him a mid term deal and if he rejects then see you later.

This makes pragmatic and commercial sense to me and it's neither loving or hating on Prescott.

It simply forces his hand to either step up or get out.

Further, the last time Prescott had a quality QB on his shoulder (Romo) it brought out the best in him.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Interesting thought here and it's neither for or against Prescott.

Given that we are half way through January, I do not think Prescott will be signed to a long term contract before the 2020 draft.

I concede that he might be signed on a franchise tag beforehand.

The reason being - imagine if Tua or Herbert drop to #17?

There must be a fair chance that we would take him.

Reason being...potential top draw QB on a rookie contract.

People will claim that we have other needs that need addressing with greater priority but it would gives the Cowboys loads of leverage at the QB position.

It would mean that Prescott would have a prove it or lose it season, the rookie would not be rushed in to the fold as Prescott would be playing.

If Prescott plays lights out then we can simply trade the rookie QB as there will always be a taker for a QB like Tua or Herbert.

If Prescott struggles and continues to regress then we can ship him out and bring in the rookie QB for the 2020/21 season.

If he plays ok then we can offer him a mid term deal and if he rejects then see you later.

This makes pragmatic and commercial sense to me and it's neither loving or hating on Prescott.

It simply forces his hand to either step up or get out.

Further, the last time Prescott had a quality QB on his shoulder (Romo) it brought out the best in him.

This is a perfect plan. It's actually what I propose we do with Dak.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Bruce Arians said Jameis Winston is the QB of the future and now they're contemplating resigning him. The new HC coming in and saying, "We will assess that later" is practically saying he doesn't want to keep Dak. He said that to keep himself in the clear as he settles in Dallas.

Also, before you say: Jerry and Stephen will pay Dak. They've been saying that since last offseason and have yet to do so. Kinda strange. They're so high on Dak, but have yet to give him the contract he wants...they must not be 100% sold or they'd take the deal Dak's agent offered.
You're seriously badly mistaken as usual. Just wait and see.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Daks stats are very misleading.
They don't show the games he cost the Cowboys with his poor throws, interceptions, choking, and quitting on the team.
Like most quarterbacks who throw for big stats he lost a lot.
The only stat that matters is Wins vs Losses.
Dak isn't doing too well in that category.
In 2017 the Cowboys were really 8-8. The only reason they got the ninth win was because Philadelphia rested their starters in the last game of the season.
So that's two 8-8 seasons and a 10-6 season in the weakest division in the NFL.
And the one 13-3 season was NOT because of Dak. It was because he was behind the strongest line in the NFL in the weakest division and had Ezekiel Elliott drawing the attention of opposing defenses.
Don't throw out stats to support your arguments; they aren't on his side.
You can spout anything you want to but "quitting the team" isn't one of them. jmho

Dude plays until the gun sounds.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Rewind 365 days ago, and all we heard is that...
  • Wins are not a QB stat
  • The team wins, not the QB
  • The team wins despite the QB
  • Dak is incapable of throwing for 4,000 yards, and that's why we can't win big games
  • Dak is incapable of throwing for 25+ TDs, which is impossible to win with in a Passing League
So all we hear post-2019 is its all Dak's fault the team did not produce a winning record FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HIS CAREER. Nothing else, just Dak.

Defense can't cause a turnover = Dak's fault
The Special Team was "short bus" special = Dak's fault
The Offense had the 3rd worst average starting field position in the league = Dak's fault
Having a clapping, I only know corporate mottos and nothing about leading a football team coach = Dak's fault

I'm not saying Dak is perfect, no QB is.

But let's stick to something guys. All this "moving the goal post" crap and doing 180 degree changes of what makes a QB good or not to fit agendas is just moronic.

Of course, JMHO.
Great post and it will be ignored by “them”. They have no problem repeatedly changing the argument.