If Dak plays on Franchise Tag he might be leaving soon

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The word was they tried to get the extension done last season to not be where they are now but couldn't come to terms. I do not know what they offered.
I haven’t seen any reports to support such offers last year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I hope he plays on the tag. I like this sort of thing, player betting on himself and one thing for sure, Prescott is not short on confidence. And why should he be, he did it last year and I do not point at him as the reason they went 8-8. He was better than 8-8, the coaching and the team weren't.
I’m ok with him playing on the tag too. But my point is what could the effects of that be. History is it hadn’t played out well for QB who play on the tag and why most are signing extensions. If he does play on the Tag I think it supports your notion that he doesn’t want to stay here.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Prescott worries about the long term. He's as durable a QB as we've seen in the game and he bet on himself last season and is willing to do the same this season. I think he's sending the message that it is time to consider him a one year QB by signing this now instead of waiting until 7/15. I think he and his agent have grown tired of dealing with these clowns. Who knows what lies would be coming out next?
I think this is an accurate assessment. Like everyone on these boards- none of us really know what’s going on here. But the most talkitive front office in pro sports never seems to shy away from an opportunity to spin a negotiation their way or to portray this complex negotiation in short quotes and sound bites.

Anyone who knows anything about pro athletes contracts, there are a lot more nuances to a final deal than just how much money for how many years. But the Jones Cartel loves to portray themselves as always making fair offers at fair prices. But none of us know what exactly has been offered from either side.

I could certainly see this whole process as being distasteful and extremely frustrating for any player who has given his team a 40-24 record in 4 years of QB play, well below market value cost without missing a single start, with a mediocre head coach, and the most intrusive owner in pro sports, finally saying, “Maybe I don’t want to stay here.”

And whatever the anti-Dakers think about moving on from him, the idea that finding a better QB very easily, such as signing a mediocre Andy Dalton, or somehow miraculously getting a guy like Lawrence in the draft is a pipe dream.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think this is an accurate assessment. Like everyone on these boards- none of us really know what’s going on here. But the most talkitive front office in pro sports never seems to shy away from an opportunity to spin a negotiation their way or to portray this complex negotiation in short quotes and sound bites.

Anyone who knows anything about pro athletes contracts, there are a lot more nuances to a final deal than just how much money for how many years. But the Jones Cartel loves to portray themselves as always making fair offers at fair prices. But none of us know what exactly has been offered from either side.

I could certainly see this whole process as being distasteful and extremely frustrating for any player who has given his team a 40-24 record in 4 years of QB play, well below market value cost without missing a single start, with a mediocre head coach, and the most intrusive owner in pro sports, finally saying, “Maybe I don’t want to stay here.”

And whatever the anti-Dakers think about moving on from him, the idea that finding a better QB very easily, such as signing a mediocre Andy Dalton, or somehow miraculously getting a guy like Lawrence in the draft is a pipe dream.
We don’t know exactly what’s been offered but we have received several reputable reports from those beat writers and local media we normally follow for such information.

So, to stay we don’t know anything isn’t quite an accurate portrayal. We have a pretty good idea.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We don’t know exactly what’s been offered but we have received several reputable reports from those beat writers and local media we normally follow for such information.

So, to stay we don’t know anything isn’t quite an accurate portrayal. We have a pretty good idea.
Unless I’m wrong, which is very possible, lol, aren’t the “reputable sources” that reporters are quoting actually Cowboys front office sources? I know Dak’s agent has said a little but not much. Most of what I’ve read as “sources” were within the Cowboys FO. Not saying they are lying, but they may be only giving pieces of The whole story because it would benefit them more.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Unless I’m wrong, which is very possible, lol, aren’t the “reputable sources” that reporters are quoting actually Cowboys front office sources? I know Dak’s agent has said a little but not much. Most of what I’ve read as “sources” were within the Cowboys FO. Not saying they are lying, but they may be only giving pieces of The whole story because it would benefit them more.
So that’s where we’re at. Calling our front office reports as lies?

But no , I was referring to our Dallas paper reports. Sorry, it took me a few extra minutes to find another site since we can’t link our paper in this forum.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...monster-contract-with-105-million-guaranteed/

Here’s another report.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/09/dak-prescott-gets-another-cowboys-offer-after-105-million-proposal/

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So that’s where we’re at. Calling our front office reports as lies?

But no , I was referring to our Dallas paper reports. Sorry, it took me a few extra minutes to find another site since we can’t link our paper in this forum.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...monster-contract-with-105-million-guaranteed/
Greg...I did NOT say front office lies. Here is my exact quote: “Not saying they are lying, but they may be only giving pieces of The whole story” Please don’t quote me as saying something I didn’t say.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Greg...I did NOT say front office lies. Here is my exact quote: “Not saying they are lying, but they may be only giving pieces of The whole story” Please don’t quote me as saying something I didn’t say.
You were inferring they could be lying. Dance around it all you want.

And are you also suggesting the DMN could also be lying?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You were inferring they could be lying. Dance around it all you want.

And are you also suggesting the DMN could also be lying?
No YOU were inferring that. Greg I find your misquoting like this very disappointing.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
10 years ago. And you only get Andy for 1 season at that price. Then what?

Then you draft his replacement and offer him a deal at 30m per season for 3 years with 60m guaranteed, i bet at 32 years of age he jumps at that deal....unless if course he were to take us to a SB then you pay market value, but in the meantime at 3m this season you can go and get alot of other talent to fill the roster while paying him nothing

Proof

Reaction score
Then you draft his replacement and offer him a deal at 30m per season for 3 years with 60m guaranteed, i bet at 32 years of age he jumps at that deal....unless if course he were to take us to a SB then you pay market value, but in the meantime at 3m this season you can go and get alot of other talent to fill the roster while paying him nothing

lol. Paying Andy Dalton 30 mil a yr over paying Dak 35 is completely asinine. And there’s just not “a lot of other talent” out there right now. It’s Griffin and Clowney and that’s it.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
lol. Paying Andy Dalton 30 mil a yr over paying Dak 35 is completely asinine. And there’s just not “a lot of other talent” out there right now. It’s Griffin and Clowney and that’s it.

Really? Not near the guarantee you are offering Dak plus you can get out after 2 years..all the while drafting his replacement, in the meanwhile all the talent you aquired this year and were able to pay because you only payed Dalton 3m helps the team in the future. And even if Dalton played the full 3 years at 90m you actually had him as your starter for 4 years for 93m or a palty 23.25m average...far below the 35m average you want to pay Dak

johneric8

Reaction score
Not what I’m saying at all. I’m not a Dak hater at all. I enjoy playing devils advocate presenting perceptions for both sides of the argument.

The point in this thread was while I think most would agree that Jerry will cave by the July 15th deadline, if we don’t resign him and let Dak play out the franchise tag it doesn’t bode as well for long term.

If your not interested in that discussion then don’t bother.
I wasn't referring to you personally as a Dak hater, but what I was eluding to is the fact that there has been an excessive, I mean excessive amount of threads and topics discussing the whole Dak thing, when all the while, most civilized cowboy fans have understood he will eventually sign.

Just seems a little Helter shelter to now be assuming that Jerry won't get the deal done seeing as that he is willing to pay him high rolling tag money. I get that this is a place for discussion and free speech, but does anyone really think this deal won't get done?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you think it would come to this?

Who do you blame more? Dak or the Cowboys front office for not getting a deal done creating this Drama?

I blame this....

9-7 ............2017
10-6........... 2018
8-8 ...........2019

It's not personal its business.....

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I blame this....

9-7 ............2017
10-6........... 2018
8-8 ...........2019

It's not personal its business.....
13-3 .......... 2016

Why do you ignore this? Romo got hurt and the season should have been a loss but Dak stepped in to save the season. Not just anyone can do that. 2015 should have taught you that if you were paying attention but instead you want to ignore that and pretend the lessons to be learned did not start until 2017. You are terrible at looking at the evidence in front of your own face and diagnosing the real problem. 2017 Zeke was suspended 6 games, injuries plagued the team... Dak was not the problem. 2018 Cowboys won their division, beat the Seahawks in the wildcard round of the playoffs, and lost to the Rams in the divisional round because the defense could not contain the Rams offense... Dak was not the problem. 2019 Despite being terrible on ST and defense, you choose to blame the offense (which was ranked #1)and more specifically Dak (who was ranked the most accurate QB and threw for almost 5000 yards) No, Dak was not the problem.

If "it's not personal it's business" as you say then stop making it personal with Dak. He is not the problem. Fix the defense, fix the ST, fix the coaching, stop blaming the one bright spot on the team. The coaching has been fixed(we hope). The defense and ST seem to be on the mend. Dak is signed for the 2020 season. Why aren't you on board for this?