If Dak's negotiations sour?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1.If we take Dak's supposed threats of "Holding Out", as a serious Bargaining Chip, to be believed.

2. If Jerry & Dak are unable to come to a Gentleman's agreement by the time of the Draft. (Therefore causing the Cowboys to miss out on 1st wave of Free Agency)

Will this force The Cowboy's to draft a QB ?

And if so, How high of a draft pick would Cowboys be willing to spend?

I believe the answer to be yes.

Dak is playing with fire, if a highly touted QB should be there when we draft in 1st round, I think Jerry pulls the trigger.

Dak's goose may be cooked if he plays hardball.

Could you imagion the irony if Dak forces the Cowboys to draft his own replacement this year

I believe this scenario could play out if these negotiations turn ugly.

I for one would be pleasantly surprissed

Dak had his chance last season to prove he's worth the big payday and fell on his face big time!
8-8 and only being able to beat teams under.500 and padding his stats in Garbage time convinced no one esp the FO no matter what they say in public.
Dak will not hold out as there are no other teams that will be willing to give him the big bucks and doesn't have the talent to hold out.
Hence he will accept and play his last season as a Cowboy under the Tag.
Don't be surprised if the FO makes a move with one of the older experienced FA QB or move up in the draft for one.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I dont see the point in tagging dak unless it's to work out a deal before the season.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
IF they sour? I think they did that after agreeing to a contract then backing out saying he wants more............ THAT's the type of character we're dealing with..........and I would never have thought this before.

LOL.

Link to "agreeing" to a contract? I mean with actual quotes, not "sources."

NumOneQB

Reaction score
He’s getting a deal, length is the sticking point. We’ll see a typical drawn out negotiation through the media and probably a short hold out during camp. Then Jerruh will give in and sign him. Then we’ll all ask why didn’t he do that from the get go to save time and get his QB in here to work with the new HC?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
1.If we take Dak's supposed threats of "Holding Out", as a serious Bargaining Chip, to be believed.

2. If Jerry & Dak are unable to come to a Gentleman's agreement by the time of the Draft. (Therefore causing the Cowboys to miss out on 1st wave of Free Agency)

Will this force The Cowboy's to draft a QB ?

And if so, How high of a draft pick would Cowboys be willing to spend?

I believe the answer to be yes.

Dak is playing with fire, if a highly touted QB should be there when we draft in 1st round, I think Jerry pulls the trigger.

Dak's goose may be cooked if he plays hardball.

Could you imagion the irony if Dak forces the Cowboys to draft his own replacement this year

I believe this scenario could play out if these negotiations turn ugly.

I for one would be pleasantly surprissed

Did not read this whole thread yet, but he beat Romo out for the job...he's bad mutha(shut your mouth). One was drafted, one was an invitation...he wants to get paid what Romo did, however, he has not taken the beating like Romo did, he came to a team that Romo helped build. He is sort of spoiled...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doubtful? Uh, CC I believe that's already happened.
ron, I don't believe the media knows anything about the negotiations, the Cowboys already took a run at signing before this last season and he improved in his contract year. They're going to sign him, even if they have to use that tag to buy more time. His agent knows they didn't hire this HC to come in and groom a rookie or a FA QB.

Now, whether that's a good thing or not we can argue but if anyone cares to take a look at this brain trust's record with picking QB's, they will agree with me. They need luck because they do not possess skill and they've gotten lucky with back to back QB's, they have no choice but to sign him. They could have had Lynch or Cook.

Would I prefer a Tier 1 QB? Sure but they haven't had one of those in over 20 years and I don't like the odds of them picking another without the 1st pick in the draft. And they do not have the draft collateral tp move up for Burrow or Tua and neither of them is a cinch to be even as good as Prescott.

This is a no brainer to me, the guy is good enough to take them to the Big Dance, they're just going to have to be good at putting players around him but they do have a better track record with those players than QB. I trust them a hell of a lot more with the O skill positions and OL.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s getting a deal, length is the sticking point. We’ll see a typical drawn out negotiation through the media and probably a short hold out during camp. Then Jerruh will give in and sign him. Then we’ll all ask why didn’t he do that from the get go to save time and get his QB in here to work with the new HC?
I don't think Booger will do that to his new HC. He will be signed and he will be there for every activity and practice installing the new offense.

Booger isn't just an optimist because he wants to be, that's how he has to be. He's not letting this season start off with his QB not at work. Nor should he, everybody knows what you wrote, there's no way he's not going to have Prescott as his QB.

Maybe the time he and his idiot son spend on this will remind them of what they did with Lawrence and Elliott, two of the reasons they are wrestling with Prescott's deal.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
ron, I don't believe the media knows anything about the negotiations, the Cowboys already took a run at signing before this last season and he improved in his contract year. They're going to sign him, even if they have to use that tag to buy more time. His agent knows they didn't hire this HC to come in and groom a rookie or a FA QB.

Now, whether that's a good thing or not we can argue but if anyone cares to take a look at this brain trust's record with picking QB's, they will agree with me. They need luck because they do not possess skill and they've gotten lucky with back to back QB's, they have no choice but to sign him. They could have had Lynch or Cook.

Would I prefer a Tier 1 QB? Sure but they haven't had one of those in over 20 years and I don't like the odds of them picking another without the 1st pick in the draft. And they do not have the draft collateral tp move up for Burrow or Tua and neither of them is a cinch to be even as good as Prescott.

This is a no brainer to me, the guy is good enough to take them to the Big Dance, they're just going to have to be good at putting players around him but they do have a better track record with those players than QB. I trust them a hell of a lot more with the O skill positions and OL.

Dak does not seen to care about that stuff, his team...he wants his frogs first, he wants to eat. Let the FO worry about his other teammates. Cool leader, bro....

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Hard to believe he's won the 2nd most games of any QB since he entered the league isn't it???

And he did it with Garrett as head coach also!

He did...now he has a different coach...but he needs money first.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Anybody saying, "No we can't make a change" is a Jason Garrett fan!
You're playing conservative. Fourth and inches and you won't go for it.

What we know QBs drafted since 2016:
Kansas City Chiefs – Patrick Mahomes (2017) * SB
Baltimore Ravens – Lamar Jackson (2018) *
Houston Texans – Deshaun Watson (2018) *
Philadelphia Eagles – Carson Wentz (2016) * SB
Arizona Cardinals – Kyler Murray (2019)
Los Angeles Rams – Jared Goff (2016) SB
Cleveland Browns – Baker Mayfield (2018)
New York Jets – Sam Darnold (2018)
Buffalo Bills – Josh Allen (2018) *
New York Giants – Daniel Jones (2019)
Dallas Cowboys – Dak Prescott (2016)
Denver Broncos – Drew Lock (2019)
Chicago Bears – Mitchell Trubisky (2017)
Indianapolis Colts – Jacoby Brissett (2016)
What we think we know:
Cincinnati Bengals – Joe Burrow (2020)
Miami Dolphins – Tua Tagovailoa (2020)

QBs drafted prior to 2016:
Minnesota Vikings – Kirk Cousins (2012) *
San Francisco 49ers – Jimmy Garoppolo (2014) * SB
Atlanta Falcons – Matt Ryan (2008)
Detroit Lions – Matthew Stafford (2009)
Green Bay Packers – Aaron Rodgers (2005) *
Seattle Seahawks – Russell Wilson (2012) *
New Orleans Saints – Drew Brees (2001) *
Carolina Panthers – Cam Newton (2011)
Tennessee Titans – Ryan Tannehill (2012) *
Jacksonville Jaguars – Nick Foles (2012)/Gardiner Minshew (2019)
Pittsburgh Steelers – Ben Roethlisberger (2004)
New England Patriots - Tom Brady (2001) * (3)SB

9 of the QBs who made the play-offs this year have been drafted, this decade, later than 2012, and 5 of those were drafted in the last 4 years. Three of those went to a Super Bowl (4 drafted since 2014 have been to a Super Bowl).

16 of the starting QBs in 2020 have been drafted since 2016. That HALF the league!

Anybody who thinks we shouldn't roll the dice just go ahead and wear them scaredy pants. But don't be complaining next time we're facing 4th and inches and we don't go for it. Just be like your idol Jason Garrett and say, "It's a long 4th and inches."
You're kind of awesome.

Brax

Reaction score
It’s possible.

If the cowboys FO did decide to move on from Dak. I would much rather they draft a first round QB than look to pick up a cast off QB

Drafting a QB comes with risks thought. People need to recognize that. Everyone pulling for the cowboys to draft a QB. That’s all well and good, but There’s a FAR greater chance that a QB they draft ends up being worse than Dak, than the QB being the next Mahomes.

that’s just the reality.

If the cowboys choose to take that risk. That’s fine. But it’s a risk.
Don't see them drafting any great one this year so a fill the gap guy would be needed, but it is not going to happen like it or not at some point Dak will get a contract from Jones I believe, it is what it is.

HungryLion

Reaction score
A whole 4! The list was made for a different purpose, so those 4 were separate from the others. But here you go.....

Chargers - Phillip Rivers (2005)
Raiders - Derek Carr (2014)
Buccaneers - Jameis Winston (2015)
Commanders - Dwayne Haskins (2019)

Doesn't change who made the play-offs or the SB, but it does change the count on how many have been drafted this decade and in the last 4 years.

Would not have bothered me one bit had you taken the initiative to add them yourself. Feel free to do that in the future. Thanks!

In the past I’ve already compiled a list of all first round QB’s for the past decade from 2016 to 2006.

About 45% of the QB’s drafted were flat out busts who never amounted to anything.

another 30% played about as good as Dak.

And only about 25% played better than Dak.

of those, most were taken in the top 3 picks in the draft. The only ones taken after the top 3 picks who have amount to much have been Mahomes and Watson.

Of course, the hypothesis of your post that people are “scared to go for it” relies on believing that it’s a scared move to keep Dak.

For those who look at Dak’s level of play and think the team can win a championship with him, it’s not really being scared. It’s just them playing the odds.

KB1122

Reaction score
Seems to me these are the Dak-less routes:

1) Sign Brady or Andrew Luck.
2) Sign Johnny Manziel (maybe Kaepernick), as a backup, but maybe not a backup.
3) Draft a qb.
4) Suck this year and go for Lawrence next year.
5) Take the risk on Jameis Winston

HungryLion

Reaction score
Don't see them drafting any great one this year so a fill the gap guy would be needed, but it is not going to happen like it or not at some point Dak will get a contract from Jones I believe, it is what it is.

I don’t know. I think if they did draft a first round guy. The QB would be expected to start from the jump. For better or worse I think the days of letting rookie QB’s sit for a couple years and develop from the bench are just about over. For the most part. With a few exceptions of course, like Mahomes.

KB1122

Reaction score
Just to make points .... I don't like this draft class of quarterbacks. Burrow maybe. But the other first rounders are not very interesting. I'd rather wait a year.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Seems to me these are the Dak-less routes:

1) Sign Brady or Andrew Luck.
2) Sign Johnny Manziel (maybe Kaepernick), as a backup, but maybe not a backup.
3) Draft a qb.
4) Suck this year and go for Lawrence next year.
5) Take the risk on Jameis Winston

Jameis’ physical ability and the passes he is capable of making is certainly intriguing. But it’s hard to bank on a coach being able to alter his brain and get him to stop making poor and risky decisions so often. He had Bruce Arians who is a great coach last year and it didn’t help yet.

garyo1954

Reaction score
In the past I’ve already compiled a list of all first round QB’s for the past decade from 2016 to 2006.

About 45% of the QB’s drafted were flat out busts who never amounted to anything.

another 30% played about as good as Dak.

And only about 25% played better than Dak.

of those, most were taken in the top 3 picks in the draft. The only ones taken after the top 3 picks who have amount to much have been Mahomes and Watson.

Wasn't my intent to determine any of that, but if that's what you found, great!