If Dak's negotiations sour?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Wasn't my intent to determine any of that, but if that's what you found, great!

I’m trying to figure out what you were determining. Your post was saying that wanting to keep Dak is the scared thing to do. And you listed quarterbacks that have been drafted. Without listing any of the bad ones.

So I am curious what the list you posted was supposed to get across.

a lot of young QB’s in the league? I think that just proves that there’s high turnover for QB in the league, precisely because it’s hard to find a good one.

garyo1954

Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out what you were determining. Your post was saying that wanting to keep Dak is the scared thing to do. And you listed quarterbacks that have been drafted. Without listing any of the bad ones.

So I am curious what the list you posted was supposed to get across.

a lot of young QB’s in the league? I think that just proves that there’s high turnover for QB in the league, precisely because it’s hard to find a good one.

Maybe I'll do a post about it. Some days I end up crunching numbers and end up using it in other posts. Then the original post is not worth doing. As long as the data matches the topic of the thread it really doesn't matter to me.

But read this and see what you come up with:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ad-zero-nfl-playoff-success-over-past-decade/

HungryLion

Reaction score
Maybe I'll do a post about it. Some days I end up crunching numbers and end up using it in other posts. Then the original post is not worth doing. As long as the data matches the topic of the thread it really doesn't matter to me.

But read this and see what you come up with:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ad-zero-nfl-playoff-success-over-past-decade/

I agree that having a massive cap hit is detrimental
To the team. But I also think it’s fair to point out that

1. A new Dak deal wouldn’t be guaranteed to have the highest cap hit.

2. Typically the cap hit gate higher as the contract gets higher. Russell Wilson signed the “biggest QB contract ever” this past off season and his cap hit was 26 million. Less than a large number of other QB’s.

some of the same QB’s listed in that article have had playoff success during the lengths of their big contracts. Just not during the year their cap hit was the highest.

Mcnabb made the NFC title game under the same
Contract. Sanchez made the afc title game
Under the same contract. Eli won a Super Bowl under the same contract. Peyton won a Super Bowl under the same contract. Garrapolo just made a Super Bowl under the same contract.

that article just proves that they don’t accomplish anything in the highest cap number season under the deal. Not that they don’t have playoff success while under a long term agreement. Actually, the opposite is true for most of those QB’s.

Flamma

Reaction score
Seems to me these are the Dak-less routes:

1) Sign Brady or Andrew Luck.
2) Sign Johnny Manziel (maybe Kaepernick), as a backup, but maybe not a backup.
3) Draft a qb.
4) Suck this year and go for Lawrence next year.
5) Take the risk on Jameis Winston

1) One is retired and the other probably wants to play for a team that has a shot at winning a championship.
2) One isn't good enough to start for an XFL team and Jerry wouldn't even consider the other.
3) That's the only option from these 5.
4) Suck this year? Or do you mean suck more than we did last year? Since 2016 the Cowboys haven't been a real threat to anyone that was any good.
5) What risk? What are the Cowboys risking? All of our great seasons? Risk not going 8-8? Jameis is garbage and Tampa won 1 less game than the Cowboys. What are the Cowboys risking?

Brax

Reaction score
I don’t know. I think if they did draft a first round guy. The QB would be expected to start from the jump. For better or worse I think the days of letting rookie QB’s sit for a couple years and develop from the bench are just about over. For the most part. With a few exceptions of course, like Mahomes.
Don’t disagree I was looking at the draft capital to move up, if they went to the draft because some one fell to them the guy has to start day 1 you are correct. I do not think it will come to that but who knows.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
What we know QBs drafted since 2016:

You left out an important one - Paxton Lynch. Had the Cowboys succeeded in their efforts to trade up and draft him, Dak wouldn't even be a Cowboy.

These are the people you trust to draft a better QB? The only two good ones they've had since Aikman were accidents. :muttley:

starfan1

Reaction score
I think we draft a QB either way. Jerry got caught with his pants down on this one.
He's definitely learned the need for a proven backup through this mess.
Really? I don’t think so my guess is first 3 rounds defense with possible exception of a WR.

you thinking after that? By that time you might as well just hang on to rush . They could use a LB , TE and a another O line. I even think a punter but you can probably get that undrafted . I could be wrong but I’m not thinking qb is in the picture unless they do something during FA

garyo1954

Reaction score
Really? I don’t think so my guess is first 3 rounds defense with possible exception of a WR.

you thinking after that? By that time you might as well just hang on to rush . They could use a LB , TE and a another O line. I even think a punter but you can probably get that undrafted . I could be wrong but I’m not thinking qb is in the picture unless they do something during FA

Haven't put a number on it. But you could be right and they bring in a free agent. McCarthy is a QB (and offense) guy. He's going to want to see production from that position. This "I got us in field goal range, coach" will not make him happy.

If you remember when Favre retired, they announced Aaron would start, then Favre wanted to unretire, and Big Mc told him you can come back and be QB2. Naturally he didn't have the meddling old fool to upstage him.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Just checking in to see if Dak's negotiations are still sour.
Yup, still are ---------> runs

Chuck 54

Reaction score
There are only two QBs truly worthy of the first round, along with one who is clearly a project and another guy who wasn’t a team leader in college. After the first two, the rest are crap shoots. We may draft a QB this year no matter what Dak does, but not till day 3.

starfan1

Reaction score
Haven't put a number on it. But you could be right and they bring in a free agent. McCarthy is a QB (and offense) guy. He's going to want to see production from that position. This "I got us in field goal range, coach" will not make him happy.

If you remember when Favre retired, they announced Aaron would start, then Favre wanted to unretire, and Big Mc told him you can come back and be QB2. Naturally he didn't have the meddling old fool to upstage him.

I misunderstood you I thought you were talking bout a back up.

garyo1954

Reaction score
I misunderstood you I thought you were talking bout a back up.

Either, or. Mike will want to bring in players who can help him win. He'll bring in QBs who are smart and can be taught. If they can start all the better. If we had someone like that now, we wouldn't be in this mess. It would be like the Favre/Rodgers drama. Although coaches are much more cautious of what they say these days, decades past it wouldn't be a problem. The whole front office is putting on a front (maybe that's why they call it a font office) when they praise the dedication, work ethic, and desire of players while in the backroom they're talking possible trades.

Cooper Rush is ranked 97 of 118 QBs, and with $0 cap hit, and expiring/expired contract, no better time than now to upgrade that position.

edit to add a link:

https://overthecap.com/player/cooper-rush/6234/

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don't doubt that. You have to think that the structure has been agreed to but the final dollars will be set once they see if any new deals hit this offseason that increase the overall dollars.

IMO it will be a copy of the situation with Dez Bryant. They tagged him to buy time and then matched exactly the comparable contract to Demaryius Thomas.
Kind of what I am thinking. The reporters are gonna make drama out of it. I believe that the FO realizes they aren’t getting him to sign a 7 year deal.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yup I'll second that. We are being held up by length of contract. Dak wants a shorter deal so he can cash in a second time. Hes got a ton of self confidence, you have to give him that. I would think the smart play would be to take the most guaranteed money period. Dak thinks hes good enough to get paid even more next time around.
And I hope he is that good to get paid again. That means success for our team. Lol

Reactions: CWR

glimmerman

Reaction score
1000%.......I honestly think actual money is either done are very close. Hell, just look at the deals behind and ahead of his projected value. The separation is only what $2-4M give or take? As you said, this thing is down to guarantee and structure. In fact, I'm willing a bet a red penny, Stephen could close this in less than 24 hours IF HE WANTED TO.
Your right SJ could have this done. Money is known to be around 35. If it’s 4 years and 140 then they are likely trying to get as much guaranteed and signing bonus as they can which I am assuming the signing bonus could be huge. They likely tried 33 for 7 years and failed.

morat1959

Reaction score
Either, or. Mike will want to bring in players who can help him win. He'll bring in QBs who are smart and can be taught. If they can start all the better. If we had someone like that now, we wouldn't be in this mess. It would be like the Favre/Rodgers drama. Although coaches are much more cautious of what they say these days, decades past it wouldn't be a problem. The whole front office is putting on a front (maybe that's why they call it a font office) when they praise the dedication, work ethic, and desire of players while in the backroom they're talking possible trades.

Cooper Rush is ranked 97 of 118 QBs, and with $0 cap hit, and expiring/expired contract, no better time than now to upgrade that position.

edit to add a link:

https://overthecap.com/player/cooper-rush/6234/
I hope your theory is right. We need and have needed upgrades at starter and backup for a long time. I know a lot of those who bash Dak do it because they thought Romo hung the moon. I was never a big Romo fan. That being said, he was a lot better QB than Dak.

I could live with Dak being a backup although he’ll never accept that role here. He’d be a great backup on a team with a legit shot at winning a SB. We’ve had backups for years that shouldn’t be on a NFL roster. Dak’s good for a short game stretch if a NFL caliber starting QB goes down with an injury.....see Teddy Bridgewater.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Give him a shorter deal if he’s successful let him cash in if not send him packing this time
It actually gives us flexibility by giving him the shorter deal. But I think the FO is sold on him long term. The shorter deal will make the haters happy. But they will complain about the amount he is going to get.