If Garrett is gone, Do you trust JJ's ability to hire a better replacement?

John813

Reaction score
If Garrett is fired I wonder if the new HC could have any say on if they could replace Moore.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Jerry seems to prefer Head coaches that are more of the 'Yes Men' variety, Coaches like Parcells and Johnson that push back get pushed out, my hope is that Steven wasn't a factor before Garretts hire and could talk some sense into him, my prediction is that Garrett gets canned and Jones makes an offer to Payton like Gruden got, say 10 years 10 million a year but New Orleans matches and Payton chooses to stay in N.O..... we hire a college coach in one of these states Texas-Oklahoma-Arkansas-Nebraska or Kansas, Your thoughts?

Jerry can't make an offer to Sean Payton. Payton just agreed to a 5 year extension with the Saints. New Orleans doesn't have to match a contract offer for Payton because Dallas can't even extend an offer to Payton. The only way Dallas could get Payton would be to approach the Saints and offer draft picks for him. The Saints would most likely tell Jerry to get lost.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Jerry seems to prefer Head coaches that are more of the 'Yes Men' variety, Coaches like Parcells and Johnson that push back get pushed out, my hope is that Steven wasn't a factor before Garretts hire and could talk some sense into him, my prediction is that Garrett gets canned and Jones makes an offer to Payton like Gruden got, say 10 years 10 million a year but New Orleans matches and Payton chooses to stay in N.O..... we hire a college coach in one of these states Texas-Oklahoma-Arkansas-Nebraska or Kansas, Your thoughts?

No, but anyone is better than Garrett.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who has he hired when he needed something? He needed to get out of the red when he bought the team and he needed cred when he wanted the new stadium.
When has he been the most unhappy and out of the spotlight? Hint, see above.

What does he need now enough to at least share the spotlight? He needs nothing and if anyone here thinks he needs to win a ring, enough to back off on his oversized ego and celebrity status, think about that again.

When the offense was a problem and he needed a new OC, what did he do?

Is there anything that you've seen that would lead you to believe he is not going to remain in charge and front and center?

Ace-is-high

Reaction score
whatever we do, we must deign signing a former coaching retread. their numbers are many. the best new coaches seem to be offensive minded and good at developing qb's. see shanahan, mcvay, and Pederson. I also don't think dallas is the coaching pariah it once was. most can see jerry's letting Stephen control far more now and he's been doing a good job of it.
Jerry can't make an offer to Sean Payton. Payton just agreed to a 5 year extension with the Saints. New Orleans doesn't have to match a contract offer for Payton because Dallas can't even extend an offer to Payton. The only way Dallas could get Payton would be to approach the Saints and offer draft picks for him. The Saints would most likely tell Jerry to get lost.
my bad, Thought Paytons contract was up after this season... didn't know he was resigned, that sucks

RS12

Reaction score
I am sure he has Dave Campo's number in his rolodex.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, but anyone is better than Garrett.
Are there? Take a good look around coaching at the college and NFL level. There are another 6-8 HC's that are going to get fired between now and the day after the regular season ends. We could always do worse......and have.

I want to see another HC in there too but the question posed by the OP is the critical one because the requirements for the HC of the Dallas Cowboys are different that with any other team. They need to be OK with not being their own man, running their own ship, they need to be OK being Booger's Boy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
my bad, Thought Paytons contract was up after this season... didn't know he was resigned, that sucks
I don't know what ever made anyone think he wanted the DC HC gig. He might be friends with Booger but that ain't working for him. Ever see anyone else make Payton's who's in/who's out announcements? Ever see anyone else do his job?

glimmerman

Reaction score
SJ will need to take over this team before we get a HC that can bring in his own staff.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He'd probably go for some guy like Riley, a completely overrated HC, he's an OC at best. His success is because of recruiting, most of which was set up by Stoops. He's had three transfer QB's in three years, in the NFL, they can't leave if they're unhappy and go play for someone else.

Besides that, he's a married to the QB coach. Think he'd want to be married to Prescott? If he'd been the HC at MIss St, he would have tried to get another QB.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SJ will need to take over this team before we get a HC that can bring in his own staff.
You are assuming it will not be like father, like son. It looks more like that all the time.

This is the same situation like the Bidwells, Browns and Davises, sons of more hands on fathers. Mara and Rooney were smart and know their limitations and hired professionals to handle the football part. The dumbest people on the planet are the ones that think they're smart.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
My biggest issue with firing Garrett is his replacement. Jerry has shown he will only hire a legit HC when he needs the fans and local business support.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
No, not in the slightest.

Unfortunately it seems we need to clean house, top to bottom..and I don't foresee that happening.

Then again, who knows, I also didn't think they'd kick Wade to the curb mid season either..so I'd be mostly surprised.

If Dallas come out and drops a goose egg against the Jets though..I could honestly see a scapegoat firing.

It's early, I know..but if we keep getting torched on the Defense and Jerry feels the need to "feed the crowd" we might chop someone on defense.

Coming back full circle though, I don't trust the Joneses to make any proper decisions on coaching staff.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It would be someone Jerry has familiarity with, which probably means a Todd Bowles, a Dan Campbell, maybe even a Colombo.

But I'd take any of them over Garrett.

Probably our best hope would be for the Vikes to get spoiled and get rid of Zimmer. I think Zimmer is a heck of a coach, and he at least has a set on him. He'd stand up to Jerry without a doubt.

But I think this is all moot. Jerry loves this setup. It's what he's dreamed of for almost 20 years. He won't fire Garrett unless things get worse than anyone can imagine, like 5-11 or 6-10 with a very healthy team. And this team has too much talent for that to happen.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
While the "Jerry being too hands on" narrative was certainly warranted up until even a couple of years ago, I think he's gotten to the point that his desire to win has outgrown his desire to get the credit for be a football minded genius, which would explain his hiring of Moore as OC. He wanted some fresh ideas, and some ingenuity in the play calling that he wasn't getting from "his" guys. That would seem to indicate and admittance of ineptitude, of sorts, and a realization that changing with the times is necessary. We've heard that he even went so far as to tell Moore that if Garrett tried to hold him back, to "Come see me."

I think it may be possible for the right HC to have more control over the way the team is run than ever before.