If Garrett were fired before the season ends, who becomes the interim HC?

Best choice for interim HC?

• Scott Linehan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stiletto

Reaction score
I would 100% be OK with Marinelli finishing out the year and giving way to Richard at the end of the season. I could also live with Kellen Moore calling plays if it means we can FINALLY get rid of Garrett and Linnehan. I would actually not gripe the rest of the season even if we lose worse. The long term misery will be over anyways at that point.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Evidence please...
What evidence is there that he is qualified/capable of taking on a HC position? Why was he available as a position coach? I think he is a good coach and a strong candidate for DC, but HC? Not yet.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For me, I would love to see “Coach Jones” finally leave the owners box, put on a headset and a ball cap, and become the next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

Why not? He’s already said publicly that “100 guys could coach this team.” He already hires all the assistant coaches, meddles in areas that normal NFL GMs would never do, makes personnel decisions, decides what kind of hot dogs are served at the stayjum, etc, etc.

OK Coach Jones- show us the rest of your “football genius”. Take over this floundering team and put your billions where your mouth has been for nearly 30 years. If you are as good as you’ve implied for decades, take us to another super bowl. Mr. Hall of Famer- show us the way, lol.

stiletto

Reaction score
What evidence is there that he is qualified/capable of taking on a HC position? Why was he available as a position coach? I think he is a good coach and a strong candidate for DC, but HC? Not yet.

Same stupid things were said about Mike Tomlin. Here's some proof. Small as it is, it is far and above one Jason Garrett.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Same stupid things were said about Mike Tomlin. Here's some proof. Small as it is, it is far and above one Jason Garrett.

That's convincing. You have him as the new Mike Tomlin based on what? What color clown shoes you wearing?

stiletto

Reaction score
That's convincing. You have him as the new Mike Tomlin based on what? What color clown shoes you wearing?

Where do you think Mike Tomlin came from you dope? The EXACT same positions Richard came from. So he wasn't qualified either at the time Pittsburgh hired him? So what's your point? Don't be a tool...

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Where do you think Mike Tomlin came from you dope? The EXACT same positions Richard came from. So he wasn't qualified either at the time Pittsburgh hired him? So what's your point? Don't be a tool...
You still haven't made a convincing argument. Completely irrational to base a HC hiring on what some other guy did. The best point you have may well be on top of your head. I still would like to see your clown shoes, though.

khiladi

Reaction score
this team has quit. the last time i felt like this is when mcfatty phillips was coaching against greenbay when the team quit.

The team didn’t quit on Wade. According to guys like Crayton and Holley, who were players on offense they actually quit on Garrett, but they knew he had Jerry’s backing and were resigned to it.

Garrett used to report directly to Jerry during those days and these players stressed how divided it was in that situation.

https://thelandryhat.com/2014/03/10...ett-sabotaged-wade-phillips-tricked-everyone/

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
We could go coachless the rest of the year and I’d have a big smile on my face every Sunday.

stiletto

Reaction score
You still haven't made a convincing argument. Completely irrational to base a HC hiring on what some other guy did. The best point you have may well be on top of your head. I still would like to see your clown shoes, though.

Well aren't you a regular Richard Cranium?? I think most people can see/agree that Richard is a good coach from the results on the field of the players he is coaching THIS year and not to mention his work in Seattle when they were pretty dominant for many of his years there. Seems that is not bad qualification, not to mention his players love him and take coaching well from him. Something to be said for that. By all accounts I've read Carroll letting Richard go was the dumbest move he has made, even Mike Holmgren said so... He'll be a HC someday from what I've seen very briefly and if you let me when he does I'll come and put a nice Clown Shoe footprint on your arse.....

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Well aren't you a regular Richard Cranium?? I think most people can see/agree that Richard is a good coach from the results on the field of the players he is coaching THIS year and not to mention his work in Seattle when they were pretty dominant for many of his years there. Seems that is not bad qualification, not to mention his players love him and take coaching well from him. Something to be said for that. By all accounts I've read Carroll letting Richard go was the dumbest move he has made, even Mike Holmgren said so... He'll be a HC someday from what I've seen very briefly and if you let me when he does I'll come and put a nice Clown Shoe footprint on your arse.....
Never said he wasn't a good coach. Just not sold on him as a HC yet. LMAO at your internet tough guy posture. Pull your pants up somone's coming down the bsmt stairs. .

jrumann59

Reaction score
The team didn’t quit on Wade. According to guys like Crayton and Holley, who were players on offense they actually quit on Garrett, but they knew he had Jerry’s backing and were resigned to it.

Garrett used to report directly to Jerry during those days and these players stressed how divided it was in that situation.

https://thelandryhat.com/2014/03/10...ett-sabotaged-wade-phillips-tricked-everyone/
Maybe but that defense quit also, it was sieve. It was not like they were losing 21-14, 27-24. That defense was giving up 24.6 per game before wade was fired and was giving up 25.4 per game after his firing. IIRC that incident in the article refers to the sloppy practice incident where the team was mailing it home on a play and Jason wanted them to re-run the play but Wade wanted to end the practice.

Not a JG fan but context is important. Wasn't Wade the HC so he had no knowledge of what the offensive game plan was.

khiladi

Reaction score
Maybe but that defense quit also, it was sieve. It was not like they were losing 21-14, 27-24. That defense was giving up 24.6 per game before wade was fired and was giving up 25.4 per game after his firing. IIRC that incident in the article refers to the sloppy practice incident where the team was mailing it home on a play and Jason wanted them to re-run the play but Wade wanted to end the practice.

Not a JG fan but context is important. Wasn't Wade the HC so he had no knowledge of what the offensive game plan was.

Well that’s because Garrett’s offense turned the Ball over 19 times in 8 games. The defense was holding down the fort for games, but Garrett kept callling plays like a pass to Choice to close the half that resulted in a fumble and a score by the Commanders. Garrett called that play with over 80 yards to go and with the safety valve of Choice on a dump off. The most inept playcaller this team has ever had. He didn’t show his face to the media until Wednesday and Wade took the blame, despite Wade not having any say in the offense. Garrett cost the team the game despite the fact the defense held the Commanders to only six points and the offense only scored two FGs.

And actually Wade really didn’t, because he wasn’t even in the offensive practices. He tried getting in Dan Reeves as a consultant to baby-sit Jason, but that was ultimately squashed by Jerry under a time card excuse. If a consultant was needed, then they could have gotten another consultant.

Ironically, Jerry is now all about consultants, with guys like Kiffen.

stiletto

Reaction score
Never said he wasn't a good coach. Just not sold on him as a HC yet. LMAO at your internet tough guy posture. Pull your pants up somone's coming down the bsmt stairs. .

LOL yeah right. I work in Law Enforcement, just having some fun. I'll be OK......

jrumann59

Reaction score
Well that’s because Garrett’s offense turned the Ball over 19 times in 8 games. The defense was holding down the fort for games, but Garrett kept callling plays like a pass to Choice to close the half that resulted in a fumble and a score by the Commanders. Garrett called that play with over 80 yards to go and with the safety valve of Choice on a dump off. The most inept playcaller this team has ever had. He didn’t show his face to the media until Wednesday and Wade took the blame, despite Wade not having any say in the offense. Garrett cost the team the game despite the fact the defense held the Commanders to only six points and the offense only scored two FGs.

And actually Wade really didn’t, because he wasn’t even in the offensive practices. He tried getting in Dan Reeves as a consultant to baby-sit Jason, but that was ultimately squashed by Jerry under a time card excuse. If a consultant was needed, then they could have gotten another consultant.

Ironically, Jerry is now all about consultants, with guys like Kiffen.

Really so its Jason's fault that Choice fumbled the ball. I get he called a conservative play but to blame him for the turnovers really. So Romo had 7 INT in the 7 games so there were 12 other turnovers Kitna took over in the 7th game so without looking I will give Kitna 3 Ints and 1 fumble so that means the offense turned the ball over 8 other times being tackled. I do not know how you hang that on a coach as sabotage since the players wanted Wade to stay.

khiladi

Reaction score
Really so its Jason's fault that Choice fumbled the ball. I get he called a conservative play but to blame him for the turnovers really. So Romo had 7 INT in the 7 games so there were 12 other turnovers Kitna took over in the 7th game so without looking I will give Kitna 3 Ints and 1 fumble so that means the offense turned the ball over 8 other times being tackled. I do not know how you hang that on a coach as sabotage since the players wanted Wade to stay.

So it’s Wade’s fault for the pathetic offense?

Of course it’s the coaches fault for calling a play that maximizes the risk of a TO in your own territory when you have 70 yards to go and pretty much no chance to score, because not even John Elway can throw the ball that far. That’s not conservative, that’s the exact opposite of conservative. Romo threw 47 times that game. Garrett just sucked.

Of course it’s the coaches fault for creating a culture of TOs by your offense, because your coach can’t construct an offense to block free running defenders and your playing high risk football all the time. Of course it’s your coaches fault when he can’t coach a team to play disciplined football.

What part of 19 TOs by an offense in 8 games do you not understand and 4 TOs a game by the offense in Wade’s last two games coaching do you not understand? The offense turned the ball over EIGHT TIMES in two games, right before Wade was fired. How is any defense supposed to hold up to that? Garrett was a joke. They ran 11 times in Wade’s last game. Kitna threw thirty times and got sacked 4 times and tossed two picks and had one fumble.

When Rob Ryan was fired Garrett used the excuse that the lack of TOs didn’t give his offense more chances to score. The whole irony is his offense kept giving chances to the opposing offense to score in Wade’s last season so even Red Ginger understands the pressure it puts on defenses.

And Romo had 7 INTs in 6 games starting. And Kitna has 12 interceptions. The offense had a total of 30 TOs total when all was said and done.

What are you even on and trying to defend?

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
Just clean house after the season. A brand new coaching staff should be the first order of business next year.

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
A perfect opportunity is coming to salvage something out of this season. There are 4 games between now and the bye week. Unless there is an incredible turnaround, 3-1 or 4-0 in those games, Jerry could fire Garrett after the Washington game and put KR in as interim HC. That would leave the rest of the season to evaluate KR & sift through possibilities. I would probably let Linehan go at the same time if there is a someone on the offensive staff to run that show. Maybe keep Marinelli for the rest of the year. It's not uncommon that shakeups like that have a positive effect, if even for the short term. If things go badly in these next 4 games I think that is a viable avenue.

jrumann59

Reaction score
So it’s Wade’s fault for the pathetic offense?

Of course it’s the coaches fault for calling a play that maximizes the risk of a TO in your own territory when you have 70 yards to go and pretty much no chance to score, because not even John Elway can throw the ball that far. That’s not conservative, that’s the exact opposite of conservative. Romo threw 47 times that game. Garrett just sucked.

Of course it’s the coaches fault for creating a culture of TOs by your offense, because your coach can’t construct an offense to block free running defenders and your playing high risk football all the time. Of course it’s your coaches fault when he can’t coach a team to play disciplined football.

What part of 19 TOs by an offense in 8 games do you not understand and 4 TOs a game by the offense in Wade’s last two games coaching do you not understand? The offense turned the ball over EIGHT TIMES in two games, right before Wade was fired. How is any defense supposed to hold up to that? Garrett was a joke. They ran 11 times in Wade’s last game. Kitna threw thirty times and got sacked 4 times and tossed two picks and had one fumble.

When Rob Ryan was fired Garrett used the excuse that the lack of TOs didn’t give his offense more chances to score. The whole irony is his offense kept giving chances to the opposing offense to score in Wade’s last season so even Red Ginger understands the pressure it puts on defenses.

And Romo had 7 INTs in 6 games starting. And Kitna has 12 interceptions. The offense had a total of 30 TOs total when all was said and done.

What are you even on and trying to defend?

That defense was beyond bad even when wade was there they gave up over 24 per game prior to his firing and gave up 25 per game after. Maybe JG called conservative game but again that was the season of the really flukey TO also, the Witten interception off his heel, again how is coach supposed to stop a guy from fumbling a ball. The play was called it was executed and in the process of being tackled the guy puts it on the ground. Weren't you also one of the ones calling wade camp cupcake back then also. I get it you do not like Garrett I do not like garret either but this big conspiracy seems little far fetched when some people here also think crayton and holley have no credibility because of the T.O. thing.