If Gregory isnt reinstated then I definitely cut Crawford and sign a Griffin

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I'm honestly surprised that we are sitting here, this many years later, still waiting/hoping for the chance that Gregory can play. When does the FO's patience run out on this player?

Believe it, look how long the previous coach was here and letting JH play safety without trying to upgrade that position. See the same for Crawford, trying to make that round peg go into that square peg.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on this forum that wouldn't take Griffen at his asking price vs Crawford at his current salary. But I can honestly say, Gregory being re-instated or not doesn't make me feel any more or less strong towards bringing in Griffen.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could be wrong but I'm guessing Griffin not being here is 100% MM call. He's played against him twice and his former defensive coor is on staff. I have to believe if MM wanted him here, he would here already. But the fact he's still w/o is odd. Hell, I haven't seen anything even linking him to a team. Maybe there's something the guy known in league circles we don't know about.
We know he has talent........maybe some locker room issues or something between his ears.

At least we've heard the FO having SOME interest in Clowney but he's too expensive. Not so with Griffin......

I think Griffen is "more expensive" than the league thinks he should be. And just like with Clowney, that's why he's still available.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact they haven't even ask Crawford to take a pay cut ( although he's volunteered ) should tell you he's not going anywhere.

It tells me that there are still some stupid people inside the Star.

But my last vestige of hope comes from the fact that they may be waiting until he passes a team physical to give him the pay cut or get cut ultimatum, or just release him free and clear outright. Current conditions may be the reason why this has not happened already. I prefer that scenario to people in the building being deaf, blind, and dumb regarding this player, his value, and the salary cap.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I think Griffen is "more expensive" than the league thinks he should be. And just like with Clowney, that's why he's still available.

Yea, this is definitely the case, but we're paying $8 million to Crawford in salary this year and he counts $9.1 million against the cap and he'd count a mere $1.1 million if cut. I don't know how much Griffen is seeking, but I don't see how he wouldn't be a better value.

Not saying you disagree...more along the lines of I can't figure it out

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, this is definitely the case, but we're paying $8 million to Crawford in salary this year and he counts $9.1 million against the cap and he'd count a mere $1.1 million if cut. I don't know how much Griffen is seeking, but I don't see how he wouldn't be a better value.

Not saying you disagree...more along the lines of I can't figure it out

Oh, I'm at the front of the line on cutting Crawford anyway. If it means they sign Griffen to replace him, that's two wins.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep. Crawford, Smith, Gregory........ they want to prove they are soooooooo much smarter than everyone else.

This team has struggled to find defensive ends for decades now. Even going back to the Johnson regime when Jerry first got here, they had to trade for Charles Haley to solve their problems. And how many draft picks at that position have they missed on since?

Lawrence has been the closest thing to a hit that they've had.

Even when presented with a fantastic opportunity, they willingly chose Taco Charlton over TJ Watt. And Randy Gregory over Danielle Hunter a few years earlier. And do we need to talk about selling their souls for Greg Hardy a few years ago?

They have no idea of what a good defensive end looks like. And they haven't for decades now.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That ship has sailed. The book has been written. The verdict is in. That contract was a huge mistake. There's no scenario where they will ever be 'right' about it.
Yeah I was gonna say.....maybe you can say that about Gregory or Aldon Smith but with Crawford its too late to try and change the narrative on that contract. Hell the contract is almost over now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I was gonna say.....maybe you can say that about Gregory or Aldon Smith but with Crawford its too late to try and change the narrative on that contract. Hell the contract is almost over now.

And should have been over last year! All the signs were there and all the reasons to cut him then. Instead, the team ended up with a $10 million cap hit for nothing in 2019. They got what they deserved for willfully being dumb. And so far, they're on course to do exactly the same.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think they flat out actually LIKE Crawford and think he is better than Griffen at same money, and a better value than Clowney would we at say, 1/15.

I truly believe they still think he is an impact player.

fivetwos

Reaction score
This defense is very meh as it is now.

Adding Clowney certainly makes me more comfortable as far as winning games in 2020.

They won't do it though.

Ita realistically going to get to where Prescott is going to be killing our cap when they finally sign him and we will not only not be able to add players, but we will begin to lose some.

At some point you have to make a call if you want to win now, and they just never seem to be there.

Not good enough to win, not bad enough to draft a top QB.

I'm not sure if they want to be sure to be in contention every year (although not good enough to win), or they just dont have a clue as far as a plan, and it's a series of individual reactions to events.