CFZ If I cared as much as I used to, I would have an ulcer

J_Allen

Reaction score
i was a rabid fan and then the NFL woke era shook it out of me......

I used to be a huge fan, just like 90% here. I could name the whole roster, how old they were, where they went to school. Could also name the practice squad. I would read every piece written about the cowboys that I could every single day. I loved when Parcells showed up because I knew he was going to fix things.

Then Jerry hired Wade Phillips and I knew exactly where this was headed again. That killed a lot of enthusiasm. And then Garrett was hired and that killed even more enthusiasm.

I'm basically at a point where I don't care anymore. I can't name over 60% of the team. I have no idea where everybody went to school. I don't know who we signed recently to churn the bottom of the roster. I know we signed Ty Hilton. Don't care. It's always the same result. They quit in December and they get knocked out of the playoffs, if they even make it.

raven55

Reaction score
the only thing i can say ( DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY, JUST LIKE THE OLD SONG)

starfan1

Reaction score
Finally a thread I can relate to. Love my cowboys always have always will from the 70s to the present but my days of getting too worked up over these boys are gone

I root hard on game day usually watch every second but whether they win or lose I can let it go rather quickly many more things important in life.

I think my last straw was when I lived in Illinois I drove down here to Texas 12 hours for a Monday night game only to watch my wife’s favorite team the bears destroy Romo led cowboys

she enjoyed the ride back more than I. Now we live 40 minutes from AT&T and haven’t bothered to attend
Screw Jerry ! But still love my boys

rambo2

Reaction score
In the 70s, we lived and died Dallas Cowboys; they were the air in our lungs. The Hail Mary gave us sheer joy, and the Super Bowl losses to Pittsburgh were sheer agony.

If I cared that much today, I would be institutionalized somewhere, wearing a straight jacket and singing nursery rhymes. They do enough to build a team that I start to get excited about, and then they make STUPID and ASININE mistakes that you wouldn't expect from an amateur. There were multiple things like that in the Jags game, but the one where I tossed my cookies was when the defense bailed them out by forcing a fumble. Cool, we pig up all the time and we win! Then it's third and whatever (about 8?) and they have one timeout left. A running play forces them to use their final timeout, and we punt, giving them very little time and no timeouts. Or we complete a high percentage safe pass, and it's the same thing if we don't get the first, or the game is iced if we make it.

What do we do? A low-percentage bomb down the field for a ton of yards that we don't even need. It's incomplete, giving them three gifts:

Stopped clock
They keep their timeout
Get the ball back with more time

It drives me bonkers! Most of us watching would have known better than to do that, and we're not pros! Some of us here have played at the high school or maybe even the college level, but we're not a bunch of ex NFL players and coaches.

If our amateur judgement is obviously better than our coaches, what does that say about these coaches?

I mean SHEESH! That was pretty basic stuff. Am I right? Or is there some reason why throwing a bomb down the field was a great idea?

Anyway, I'm not going to live or die Cowboys like I did when I was a kid. No way can I do that. I don't want to end up in a rubber room.
You should be happy now. Things might end in a good way for them going forward. It will be fun to watch regardless.

bigE79

Reaction score
..you know what I do, to disengage myself from bad losses or bad season.

I tell myself, "those are grown men making millions playing the game". "Its there problem to fix, not mine"

Regardless, what happens. I'm still life long cowboy fan. One day, will get back to winning championships again.
A lot of us will be gone by the time that happens, unfortunately.

Dakota

Reaction score
Yep. Really hate to lose. Tough when you have just one game a week and you really look forward to it. Then Monday rolls around and you realize your actual life didn't change one iota.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I nearly got into fist fights with other kids giving me a hard time after a Cowboys loss back in the day. I'd go to jail if I still had that level of care these days.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
In the 70s, we lived and died Dallas Cowboys; they were the air in our lungs. The Hail Mary gave us sheer joy, and the Super Bowl losses to Pittsburgh were sheer agony.

If I cared that much today, I would be institutionalized somewhere, wearing a straight jacket and singing nursery rhymes. They do enough to build a team that I start to get excited about, and then they make STUPID and ASININE mistakes that you wouldn't expect from an amateur. There were multiple things like that in the Jags game, but the one where I tossed my cookies was when the defense bailed them out by forcing a fumble. Cool, we pig up all the time and we win! Then it's third and whatever (about 8?) and they have one timeout left. A running play forces them to use their final timeout, and we punt, giving them very little time and no timeouts. Or we complete a high percentage safe pass, and it's the same thing if we don't get the first, or the game is iced if we make it.

What do we do? A low-percentage bomb down the field for a ton of yards that we don't even need. It's incomplete, giving them three gifts:

Stopped clock
They keep their timeout

It drives me bonkers! Most of us watching would have known better than to do that, and we're not pros! Some of us here have played at the high school or maybe even the college level, but we're not a bunch of ex NFL players and coaches.

If our amateur judgement is obviously better than our coaches, what does that say about these coaches?

I mean SHEESH! That was pretty basic stuff. Am I right? Or is there some reason why throwing a bomb down the field was a great idea?

Anyway, I'm not going to live or die Cowboys like I did when I was a kid. No way can I do that. I don't want to end up in a rubber room.
I’ll admit I’m stupid and have gotten sucked in again. That Jax loss has really bothered me. :(

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The last Cowboys game that took any of my peace from me occurred in the 1981 NFC championship game. I highly recommend keeping some perspective in relationship to health, family, etc. In the grand scheme of things, the Cowboys are a fun diversion.

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
Im just to the point where regular season means nothing to me anymore, dont get too high with 40-3 wins over Minnesota. Dont get too low with almost losing to Houston (it was their SB after all), or actually losing to Jax........Half the time I dont even watch a game start to finish anymore, Its alot less stressful to just follow someone live tweeting the game, like Patrik "No C" Walker......Playoffs is another story however, im very stoked we're in back to back....but Im also just expecting another 1 and done or at best not getting past the Divisional.....But as they say, the more times you're in, the better chance you have of catching fire at the right time, so who knows.....

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The last Cowboys game that took any of my peace from me occurred in the 1981 NFC championship game. I highly recommend keeping some perspective in relationship to health, family, etc. In the grand scheme of things, the Cowboys are a fun diversion.

OMG, that game destroyed me. I was in high school in Honolulu. All my friends were Cowboy fans, and there was this one goony kid who loved the 49ers. He was the same maggot who had ripped me off for some money. Of course, he had to be a turd about it. He wouldn't shut up.

Then I went to college in Northern California, and had to hear about the Commie Niners all the time and that same time when the Cowboys were declining. It was torture. I still can't watch that obnoxious "Catch" play. If that comes on TV, I avoid watching it, if possible.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I still want to see this team win and just as passionate about winning. Losing hurts but it supposed to hurt and winning still gives me a great feeling but in the end it is still a game. I make no money off of it, I get no ring or award for a great season. I'm a fan, I back and support the team good times and bad. In the end I know it is my choice there is no law saying you must be a Cowboys fan.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Stopped clock
They keep their timeout

I’m jealous I wasn’t young enough to enjoy the 90s. I was a pre teen that didn’t even care about football yet.

Fast forward 25 + years and I’ve finally come to the realization that as long as Jerry and co are in charge this team will not make a Super Bowl run.

Having realistic expectations has helped me not overreact. I hope we make the playoffs every year and winning a game or 2 would be icing on the cake.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
i was a rabid fan and then the NFL woke era shook it out of me......

Not sure what that even means but Jerry shook it out of me.

I wonder what younger fans think when they read threads like this. Do they really understand how a rabid fan (like they are now) could just disengage from their life long passion?

I mean if they are now what some of us used to be like without even a playoff run to show for it I gotta give it up to them.

GMO415

Reaction score
I used to get upset over losses and yes it would effect a few days in the week. Once I got older and started a family, and noticed the entitled behavior of the Cowboys locker, I put that nonsense behind me. Jerry and now Steven only care about revenue. Titles don't interest this administration anymore.

raven55

Reaction score
don't ever get up set because this team will win some and lose a lot so mentally get ready for that and when there up there hands on hips after philly blows them out at there stadium and they will and then jerry crawls back in his bottle and hides till he finds some bs statement on 105 then just take this whole season with a grain of salt and get ready for the draft