If it was a 2nd, would you like the Cooper trade?

Would you like the Cooper trade if it was a 2nd?

• Total voters

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, I am not fuming about this trade. I don't think we would've been in range to grab N'Keal Harry, and we likely would've been picking between 14-20 and grabbed a WR to develop.

Cooper is an immediate add who due to the synergies from him being on the field, will open up the field for more plays from Swaim and Beezy, as a result it will allow Gallup to develop quicker and play against weaker WRs, in combination, this will allow Dak and Zeke to run the ball more effectively.

I think this board is fuming largely because of the stigma around a 1st round pick. If this was a 2nd, I'd say great move.

But its not a second and their is a big difference between a first and a second. If you project out that 3-4 record, a 7-9, 6-10 record is a pretty dam valuable 1st round pick. Then consider this is a generational type draft on the DL and grabbing a top WR and that team friendly contract isn't so undoable.

There is no reason to make this move unless some moron in the FO thinks this team has a chance.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
But its not a second and their is a big difference between a first and a second. If you project out that 3-4 record, a 7-9, 6-10 record is a pretty dam valuable 1st round pick. Then consider this is a generational type draft on the DL and grabbing a top WR and that team friendly contract isn't so undoable.
But the thing is if there is any position group we don't need an upgrade at, it is DL. WR has N'Keal Harry and a huge drop-off. We likely wouldn't have been in range to grab Harry.

RS12

Reaction score
Other than the fact he drops too many, is coming off a concussion, and doesnt love the game? The answer is NO. The guy was worth a 4th tops. Todays move was for a team like Philly who may be a piece or two away. This team isnt and in the spring there will be a whole lot of rueing come draft day.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Other than the fact he drops too many, is coming off a concussion, and doesnt love the game? The answer is NO. The guy was worth a 4th tops. Todays move was for a team like Philly who may be a piece or two away. This team isnt and in the spring there will be a whole lot of rueing come draft day.
The guy was worth a 4th tops :facepalm:

stiletto

Reaction score
His age (only 6 months older than Ridley) drove the price up and made the first easier I think...

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
I rather have the 5 year rookie deal. Whether it's a safety or DT or a QB. I just don't think Cooper outweighs what they gave up for him. A 2nd would've been much better. Everyone seems to be under the impression that they HAVE to go WR in the 1st. Just seems ridiculous. They painted themselves into a corner.

Last edited:

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Voted no, but I wouldn't be as upset by it. I would be skeptical but able to be convinced.

For a third or even a third plus I'd be happy with it.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Would have no complaints with a 2nd rounder and would feel the Cowboys got the better deal. I guess the uncertainties surrounding where the 1st rounder will be worries me most. That along with the idea if we needed a QB it completely goes out the window.

What makes me feel better is thinking about the other positions we likely would have drafted... TE, WR, S, OL all seem like the most realistic targets.

TE- Would feel like a waste so rather have Cooper
WR- Cooper feels like a better bet than other rookie WRs than reaching in the fist round
OL- I can't justify spending another high pick here
S- Really interesting if a player like Derwin James was available where we pick. Likely the only position of the ones listed where I rather have my first round pick. 60/40 in favor of the safety.

I guess unless we were seriously thinking about trading up for a QB there's probably not a ton of rookies in the 15 to 22 range that make you think about the opportunity lost here.

Thoughts?

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You don't give up a 1st unless you are getting an upper echelon player at the position you are trading for. He is nowhere near that level of player.

He has 260 yards and 2 TDs in 6 games. Take name recognition out of it...do YOU think that level of production is worth a 2nd round pick? I wouldn't have traded a 2nd for him. His last 2 years of productivity don't warrant it. This was as stupid a trade as I have ever seen. Leave it to us to keep the streak of terrible trades for WRs alive.

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
You don't give up a 1st unless you are getting an upper echelon player at that position. He is nowhere near that level of player.

He has 260 yards and 2 TDs in 6 games. Take name recognition out of it...do YOU think that level of production is worth a 2nd round pick? I wouldn't have traded a 2nd for him. His last 2 years of productivity don't warrant it. This was as stupid a trade as I have ever seen. Leave it to us to keep the streak of terrible trades for WRs alive.

He's certainly not in the top tier discussion at WR.