If Jaylon is really back

Rayman70

Reaction score
We need to sign Hankins to protect the linebackers. Jaylon and Lee will get injured otherwise.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Let’s not forget that Jaylon Smith was about the worst football player in the league at some point last year. I mean he was terrible.

He was overrunning plays, missing tackles, getting pushed twenty yards up the field....

He got better at the end but he was a complete and utter liability who would have been benched had he not been a high second rounder
Some people....LOL!

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I’m sorry but I don’t know how you can make this statement. As of this moment he IS NOT our most talented player and he HASN’T dominated anything or anyone. Where he was at in his college career and where he is at today are two totally separate places.

But with that said, I sure hope he turns into what you described.

Talent and production are 2 different things. Athletically speaking Smith if 100% is by far one of the most if not the most talented player on D. He was a consensus top 5 pick before the injury, and you’re not that if you’re not talented.

Now for a variety of reasons he was not very good or productive as everyone had hoped last year, and I think we put our expectations a little high for the kid just coming back from that injury.

I expect we will see a closer to ND Jaylon than 2017 Jaylon this year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he is by far our most talented football player.

Jaylon 22 year old 245 LB who play can any LB spot in and system and dominate, and cover slot WRs. I'd point out the overall play speed of Smith is what sets him apart.

Something I think we should expect is Rod figuring ways to get Lee, Van, and, Jaylon on the field at the same time. If the idea is get you best players on the field ... moving Jaylon to SAM, don't mean you have to take him off the field on some passing downs ... don't think Rod won't go 4-3 or 3-3 at times

BTW, Van is every bit as good as Smith at MLB, and Lee's better than both except in straight line speed.

I don't know if he'll ever be back to what he was in college.

Even without the brace and even if Doctors say his leg is fully functional, he might never regain the elite speed and athletic ability that he had before.

Hopefully he does get it all back; however, I would not count on it.

He did show at the end of last season that he can be a functional NFL LB.

jday

Reaction score

Jaylon 22 year old 245 LB who play can any LB spot in and system and dominate, and cover slot WRs. I'd point out the overall play speed of Smith is what sets him apart.

Something I think we should expect is Rod figuring ways to get Lee, Van, and, Jaylon on the field at the same time. If the idea is get you best players on the field ... moving Jaylon to SAM, don't mean you have to take him off the field on some passing downs ... don't think Rod won't go 4-3 or 3-3 at times

BTW, Van is every bit as good as Smith at MLB, and Lee's better than both except in straight line speed.
Right now the following players are better football players than Jaylon Smith:

Sean Lee
Chidobe Awuzie
Xavier Woods
Byron Jones
Ezekiel Elliott
Tyron Smith
Travis Frederick
La'el Collins
Zack Martin
Demarcus Lawrence
David Irving
Tyrone Crawford

Now, if you are saying he's a better athlete, that's a...

Horse_Smaller.jpg

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score

News flash bro. Jaylon is really back. :thumbup::flagwave::yourock:

blueblood70

Reaction score

well he will be up there but hes not even our best LB LEE is..yes when both are healthy/..than Zeke is next in talent freak skills hell if you look at Conner Williams coming in ..I get your point but you are a tad off in the overall statement..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Jaylon is gonna a be a STUD and all the haters will be sniffing his jock!
noones hating but reality is we have tons of talent on this team who are also freakishly athletic.. so he is a bit behind some of those even if hes back

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Jaylon will not be 100 percent this year. Had he not been injured in college he would be going into his third year totally focusing on getting stronger mentally and physically, he would likely emerge as a stud in his third year. Jaylon has been spending his last two years rehabbing an injury and trying to get his confidence back.

Someday he may reach his former potential but as of right now he is behind the curve. I think he will be a much improved player from last season but I think it will be next year before he starts to truly shine, or at least be close to his potential..

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
I doubt this very much that he was the worse. And yes he missed tackles, over ran plays, took wrong angles...but what player hasn't. Come on now, and getting pushed 20 yards up field. Tells me you just don't like him. As you certainly did not watch him every second on every snap. Not with that type of comment.
And being a 2nd rounder had nothing to do with it.
It was more they went all in on him before they should have. And that is because Hitchens was injured. They didn't address depth well enough so had to play him more than they wanted to at first.

At some point last year- yes, he was terrible for a large portion of the year. Those are facts. He did not play well.

I like the guy- seems like a great person. Has a great story. I like his brother too.

But he was bad last year.