If Jerry really wanted to win why not buy all tickets

JustChip

Reaction score
Actually it was the local TV affiliates who bought up the remaining tickets to avoid the local blackouts.

In 2009, the year AT&T opened, Jethro helped bring in new rules regarding local blackouts which included reducing the time from 72 hours to 24 while also allowing franchises to buy up remaining seats and brokering off tickets themselves.
There was a time when games were blacked out locally, regardless of game being a sellout or not. Antennas put up high enough to pick up Tyler or Waco stations.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes, back in the day to thwart a potential "black-out" in the DFW market the local CBS affiliate would purchase the remaining tickets. This was probably in the late 70's.
And in the 80’s.

Dec 1990 was the last official non sellout at Texas Stadium.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Jerry is a business man, just like you.....it's about making money......I don't see anything wrong with that.
I agree with you 99%. However the 1% is that many fans (before Jerry) have a vested interest in this team with time, $$ and the love and joy of a local winning football team. At first Jerry and his $$ bought that (winning) into his scheme which was great.
Then the cap rules changed and Jerry's $$ had much less control and had to play on a level playing field. For many years Jerry's ego refused to promote football minds and instead chose to hire family and himself to fulfill the role he obviously can't be successful with. IMO owning a football team (esp. with a winning history and massive "fanmenship") takes on a secondary responsibility to it's fans to upkeep the tradition. It's obviously not a law but just a moral and ethical code to the fans.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There was a time when games were blacked out locally, regardless of game being a sellout or not. Antennas put up high enough to pick up Tyler or Waco stations.
Yes . I made several trips to Waco in 60’s and early 70’s.

What some fans may not recall is before the Black Out rule ( 75 mile radius) was implemented in 1973 all home games were blacked out locally in NFL. And why we bought season tickets.

DripTooHard

Reaction score
Do a Shad Khan move and offer free Miller Lite and BBQ for Cowboys fans that show up at the game.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I’m not a fan of putting any restrictions on visiting fans…I have seen Dallas in Detroit and get tickets on the secondary market…often someone’s season tickets. I’d hate for the lions to put restrictions in place to make it more difficult for some of us…

sunalsorises

Reaction score

What some fans may not recall is before the Black Out rule ( 75 mile radius) was implemented in 1973 all home games were blacked out locally in NFL. And why we bought season tickets.

This is why I am a cowboys fan. I grew up near Philly and way back when I was young their games were blacked out. Dallas was always on though, so for me they were the home team. It also helped that my father did not want to go to the Vet for Eagles games.

blueblood70

Reaction score
And then either give away or sell to cowboys fans at face value. When you’re a billionaire you can do whatever. Instead he wants talk a good game. Don’t complain when is 30% plus niners fans today.
i doubt thats legal .might be cause in his NFL contract that prevents owners from doing that,,

now what he could do is confiscate all 49er fans jerseys and anything they bring in and make them feel uninvited LOL maybe turn them away say they broke stadium rules and eject them from the game LOL

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
And then either give away or sell to cowboys fans at face value. When you’re a billionaire you can do whatever. Instead he wants talk a good game. Don’t complain when is 30% plus niners fans today.
So silly, if that were true, he would never lose a coach he wanted to retain.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Having opposing fans in the stadium is all part of the greatness of the NFL and games. No different then inviting your buddy over the is a SF fan so you can watch the game together.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Having opposing fans in the stadium is all part of the greatness of the NFL and games. No different then inviting your buddy over the is a SF fan so you can watch the game together.
Thats a cool theory, but never works out the way its intended.
I did that with a Bills fan back in 92, and he never recovered, he is still different since that party.

LittleD

Reaction score

You must be kidding or living in a dream world. The Cowboys are a business to Jerry. Jerry loves him some money and most of you suckers keep giving it to him. Jerry loves the Cowboys but, he loves business and making the
quan more.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is why I am a cowboys fan. I grew up near Philly and way back when I was young their games were blacked out. Dallas was always on though, so for me they were the home team. It also helped that my father did not want to go to the Vet for Eagles games.
I can’t blame him for not going to Vet. I attended one time and I’ll never set foot in Philly again. I’d rather go to a third world country.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Because Jerry Jones’ definition of “winning” is very different from Cowboys fans.
He can't take it with him Bob. He has a team in the tournament. You and I both know it's hard a hell to get there.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get what your saying. But the best way to ensure Cowboys fans don't sell their tickets is to put a winning product on the field in January.

But most of the out of towners that come to games buy their tickets from brokers. Jerry can't control any of that unless he stops selling to them.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
I can’t blame him for not going to Vet. I attended one time and I’ll never set foot in Philly again. I’d rather go to a third world country.

I totally agree. We went to a lot of Phillies games and I will say the jail and judge were in the Vet for Eagles games. The Spectrum could get dicey unless you were there for the circus or Grateful Dead and then it was just dicey in a different way.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
He didn’t become a billionaire doing stupid stuff like that.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
See the post about Jerry's Legend Hospitality and you will understand why it would not be in his best interest.

JustChip

Reaction score

These young whipper-snappers today don’t know how good they have it.:)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I totally agree. We went to a lot of Phillies games and I will say the jail and judge were in the Vet for Eagles games. The Spectrum could get dicey unless you were there for the circus or Grateful Dead and then it was just dicey in a different way.
We sent several people to jail from our visit to the Vet.