If Rod Leaves I want Ken Norton Jr.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Seattle would have to agree to let him go. Doubt that they will and he couldn't go anywhere as long as Seattle keeps playing (which may be for another month).

Not if he's moving up to D-Coordinator.

YR

Reactions: JPM

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
You would think that the GM would bring an OC and/or DC who would be head coach material, in the event that a new head coach might be needed.

You know, the logic....uh, common sense, ......er, wisdom.......oh, hell, what am i thinking.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I would want to see what Ken Norton, Jr. really is as a coach. If he's just a linebacker coach, then that doesn't mean he will make a good D-Coordinator. I'm not against it, I just think blindly picking him because he played here and is the Seattle LB coach is just not looking at the entire picture.

Personally, I want Ray Horton. He's been a success as a D-Coordinator and he's a guy that will not want 'cover corners' that can't tackle. As he said, they took Mike Jenkins off the draft board because he just couldn't tackle. He knows the 4-3 and the 3-4 and I think he'll bring plenty of intensity to the team.

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
You would think that the GM would bring an OC and/or DC who would be head coach material, in the event that a new head coach might be needed.

You know, the logic....uh, common sense, ......er, wisdom.......oh, hell, what am i thinking.

Not necessarily. The Eagles brought in Jim Johnson to be their D-C and had no plans of making him the head coach. The same with Ernie Stautner here in Dallas. And ironically, Monte Kiffin in Tampa and Wade Phillips in Houston.

YR

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Not necessarily. The Eagles brought in Jim Johnson to be their D-C and had no plans of making him the head coach. The same with Ernie Stautner here in Dallas. And ironically, Monte Kiffin in Tampa and Wade Phillips in Houston.

YR

Yeah, but I was referring to our not-so-successful current HC, whose job has just been saved (apparently) for 1 more year.

Would be fairly good strategy to bring in the uber-successful assistant, with year's audition for the HC job.

IF JG ever leaves.......just dreamin.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Yeah, but I was referring to our not-so-successful current HC, whose job has just been saved (apparently) for 1 more year.

Would be fairly good strategy to bring in the uber-successful assistant, with year's audition for the HC job.

IF JG ever leaves.......just dreamin.

I can understand that. I would rather have a good D-C than somebody that I think is a potential head coach. Mike McCarthey wasn't the greatest O-C, but turned out to be a great Head Coach. It would be great to have a good HC in the end, but I think it's a lot to bank on. For me, I prefer with coordinators either new guys with good ideas or 'gurus' of sorts (i.e. Wade Phillips, Jim Johnson, Monte Kiffin, etc). I'm a bit skeptical of a lot of former head coaches taking a step down to Coordinator.

Either way, this team needs to figure out these injuries as much as anything. Particularly the hamstring injuries. There's just no excuse for 2 years in a row of this crap. At least if the team is reasonably healthy and it fails, one can go to sleep at night that there were no excuses for Garrett's failure.

YR

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly on the hammys.

Never in my 50 years of watching football have I seen so many of this particular injury on one team. And with the medical knowledge of the anatomical structure and forces which challenge that, my suspicion is that the training staff has them squatting too much weight. Strength may be overcoming flexibility, resulting in torn connective tissue which is very difficult to repair and heal, especially if the stressors are unchanged.

Overzealous workouts can often result in injury, and loss of flexibility also leads to injury.

A 6 ft. player doesn't really need 30 inch quads.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I have an idea for the vacancy at defensive coordinator (assuming Kiffin leaves.) I want someone with swagger. Someone with attitude. I want current Seattle Linebacker coach Ken Norton Jr.

Thoughts?

New blood. I wouldn't mind. Plus, he started out a Cowboy!