If Roy Williams comes to Dallas...

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Listening to Ticket 760 Talking Cowboys show today, Nate, Bill Jones and Nick Eatman talked about this, and said they thought Jerry was looking into it, and would inquire about Houshmenzadaa, (sp) and Roy. Whoever takes the first rounder Jerry is offering is the one coming to Dallas.

They seem to think that the only competition is SF.

They also talked about TO not saying it publically, but that the real problems in the offense is the recievers opposite him. They don't scare the other teams and have done nothing to make them change that. A big time reciever would change that and clear a path to the championship.

BTW, they all prefer TJ first then Roy and maybe Anquan if he becomes available. They would be willing to throw in a 2nd if necessary to make it happen for TJ or Roy.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2319572 said:
Listening to Ticket 760 Talking Cowboys show today, Nate, Bill Jones and Nick Eatman talked about this, and said they thought Jerry was looking into it, and would inquire about Houshmenzadaa, (sp) and Roy. Whoever takes the first rounder Jerry is offering is the one coming to Dallas.

They seem to think that the only competition is SF.

They also talked about TO not saying it publically, but that the real problems in the offense is the recievers opposite him. They don't scare the other teams and have done nothing to make them change that. A big time reciever would change that and clear a path to the championship.

BTW, they all prefer TJ first then Roy and maybe Anquan if he becomes available. They would be willing to throw in a 2nd if necessary to make it happen for TJ or Roy.
I can't believe we'd give a 1st and 2nd for a pure possession receiver in TJ.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Double Trouble;2319575 said:
I can't believe we'd give a 1st and 2nd for a pure possession receiver in TJ.

He is better than any thing we have............

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2319578 said:
He is better than any thing we have............

not everybody sees it that way...his numbers (catches) are better, but again thats easy to see why that would be. He's thrown to a TON in that offense.

He doesnt make big plays and he doesnt make yds after catch. I honestly dont see him as being THAT much better for our offense than what we already have.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
dbair1967;2319591 said:
not everybody sees it that way...his numbers (catches) are better, but again thats easy to see why that would be. He's thrown to a TON in that offense.

He doesnt make big plays and he doesnt make yds after catch. I honestly dont see him as being THAT much better for our offense than what we already have.

That's what they were talking about today on the show...........

Spectre

Reaction score
I don't care what it would do to/for T.O.'s ego.
I do care that it would help us win games, add security to the future of the position, immediately upgrade the offense and fortify the position against injury woes.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I think we are offering a 3rd and 5th or 6th to Detroit for Roy. They want a 1st last I heard.

I'd be kind of shocked if Jerry gives a 1st for any WR, but I can see him going a 2nd and a later pick.

Nexx

Reaction score
he would get more catches than he has been in the last 2 weeks. witten would get less touches and crayton.... yeah crayton whatever.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Nexx;2319765 said:
he would get more catches than he has been in the last 2 weeks. witten would get less touches and crayton.... yeah crayton whatever.

send Crayton to Cinci for Houshmanzedah and I bet Crayton gets 70-80 catches a yr too, easily

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;2319857 said:
send Crayton to Cinci for Houshmanzedah and I bet Crayton gets 70-80 catches a yr too, easily
I doubt that. Chris Henry might.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
This actually reminds me of the Howard talks.

Makes zero sense to do this deal, why there is at best a 20% chance Jerry might do it. This all ends in a week.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors;2319900 said:
This actually reminds me of the Howard talks.

Makes zero sense to do this deal, why there is at best a 20% chance Jerry might do it. This all ends in a week.
Thank you Nors. I just won 50 bucks. I bet you'd bring up Darren Howard in a Roy Williams thread.

You are so predictable.

Aven8

Reaction score
Hostile;2319601 said:
I think we are offering a 3rd and 5th or 6th to Detroit for Roy. They want a 1st last I heard.

I'd be kind of shocked if Jerry gives a 1st for any WR, but I can see him going a 2nd and a later pick.

Ok Hos....time to come clean......where do you get all of this info??? Are you romanticly involved with Jerry's secretary????? lol

Seriously......how?

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Aven8;2319565 said:
That's another thing Goose said....don't ever believe anything coming out of Jerry's mouth. He said the same thing in the offseason about Pacman!

Now Jerry's ability to BS does sit in the back of my head and I do remember him saying this was 1 of the priorities of the offseason and it didn't come to fruition but Jerry isn't BSing on this one. I hope I do eat crow on this statement nonetheless.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Hostile;2319532 said:
The 80/20 thing is pure me. That is where it is coming from. I think the only thing that will kill it is if Detroit continues to hold out for a #1 draft pick. Jerry isn't going to pay that. So at this point he is telling the truth. He is not going to do it. Message sent. If Detroit comes to their senses he still could. He's being smart, they are not.

I'll take a lot of heat from people if this deal doesn't happen, but at no time have I said it is 100% going to happen. No one will pay attention to that. Everything I have predicted about interest by both teams has been reported so if people want to pretend I made it all up they are delusional.

I'll vouch for you on this, for whatever it's worth. I remember us all talking about it and your point of view on RW was not ill advised at all from my perspective. I felt it was 60/40 2 weeks ago myself and all your info expressed was very relevant as I usually find out of your posts. Bottom line is that RW coming here is not at all unreasonable thinking and there was a lot of fuel to create the fire anyways.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Aven8;2319941 said:
Ok Hos....time to come clean......where do you get all of this info??? Are you romanticly involved with Jerry's secretary????? lol

Seriously......how?
I have one source inside VR, but I have not used that source on this story except one time when I was told Detroit called Dallas to offer Roy, not we called them to ask.

On this story a lifelong friend of Roy's has kept me up to date. He has been right on every scoop. He's more positive than anyone that Roy is coming to Dallas if Detroit is realistic on asking price.

Here's the scoop for the Lions game this week. Last week I said they would showcase him more than they have to try and drive up his worth. They did. You started to see Roy being frustrated for the first time when throws were off. However, he has not publicly asked to be traded. He's said the right things and done the right things.

Fans in Detroit last week chanted "trade Roy." This week's game is in Minnesota so the Lions staff won't have that pressure this week. So, for the first time Roy may apply the pressure by demanding a trade. He doesn't want to be a distraction for them, but he will do it to try and force them to make a trade.

If it gets to that point.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
AKATheRake;2320006 said:
I'll vouch for you on this, for whatever it's worth. I remember us all talking about it and your point of view on RW was not ill advised at all from my perspective. I felt it was 60/40 2 weeks ago myself and all your info expressed was very relevant as I usually find out of your posts. Bottom line is that RW coming here is not at all unreasonable thinking and there was a lot of fuel to create the fire anyways.
Thank you.

I wish I could say I have figured all of this out on my own and been :holmes: But that isn't the case at all. No creative deductions got me to this point.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
I'll go a 1st rd pk for Roy Williams. Then turn around and give him a 6 year 60 mil deal with a 15 mil SB that kicks in in 2009, so we have him for 7 years.

His deal could look something like this:
2008...........................................2009..2010..2011..2012...2013..2014
Current Sal + 2.15 Pro-rated SB....6.00...8.00...9.00..10.00..12.00.13.00

I don't believe we get him cheap. He is a very very good player. If Detroit doesn't trade or sign him prior to the start of 2009 FA, they can't afford not to franchise him and ultimately sign him long term and or get fair trade value for him. Now I know there is this theory out their that Detroit can't afford him and C. Johnson. UNTRUE! How can they not afford to pay both or get fair trade value for Williams.
Just think about this from Detroit's perspective. Pretend you're their GM and working in their best interest. Now you have 2009 FA starting and have a choice to make on Williams. So you look at your roster and see how many pro-bowl/difference makers do I truely have? 2, 3, maybe 4.

I'll repeat the question. How can you not afford to pay one of you few star players or get fair trade value for him?

Understand, I'm on board with this trade. We can be a lot better with him. We just ain't getting him cheap.

StarHead69

Reaction score
I would gladly give up a 1st for Roy Williams, assuming that he signs an extension. Worst case scenario, the best #2 wr in the league and an above average #1 ... for what looks like one of the last 4 or 5 picks in the draft? Tell you what, I give the first and throw in Stanback and our Roy Williams as well.

I can hear the NFCE defensive coordinators shlarting now...:)