If Schultz holds out mini-camp and gets fined, do we gain cap relief?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If Schultz holds out mini-camp (and potentially games) and gets fined , do we gain CAP relief, or is the CAP worked out purely on the original contract?

John813

Reaction score
Pretty sure they are just fines that impact the players bottom line.
Suspensions result in teams getting cap credit back- or used to under older CBA.

Flamma

Reaction score
Players can't really hold out anymore. The new CBA makes them actually pay the fines. But I think post #2 actually answers the question in the OP.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Dumbest thing he can do is hand Ferguson a golden opportunity to get up to speed quickly or even take the job from him with increased reps.

Then he can't get his inflated dump off stats and a big contract.

And Flamma is right about increased fines.

He will be in camp.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Schultz holds out mini-camp (and potentially games) and gets fined , do we gain CAP relief, or is the CAP worked out purely on the original contract?

They do not get paid for mini camps or TC as part of there contract, other than a base amount possibly and expenses, but this does does effect the cap. Last I knew of anyway.
It is probably a NFL deal. I read something years ago, players get like $1K a week for TC. But I could be wrong and that was for something else. Maybe it was when the PS, used to be called Development Squads, first started.
Now if he were to hold out and miss regular season games, they do get cap relief per game of his pay, that is not paid.
As if they pay fines, I don't think that is a cap issue thing. It just comes out of the players pockets.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Only if Schultz signs his one-year contract which will be worth about $11 million. Jerry & Schultz have until July 15 to come to terms on a longer contract that would have less of a salary cap hit as Dallas looks for relief.

Kind of a catch 22 for Jerry. He has plenty of young TE's chomping at the bit that would be dirt cheap for the long run. But if he signs Schultz to a long term, he'll save on a big cap hit.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Under the current CBA, fine forgiveness or reduction is only allowed for players on rookie contracts.
These financial penalties don't apply to unsigned draft picks and players with restricted free agent, franchise or transition tenders who aren't under contract that miss training camp. Their attendance isn't required because of the absence of a signed contract. Contractually obligated services or performance isn't being withheld in these cases.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Under the current CBA, fine forgiveness or reduction is only allowed for players on rookie contracts.
These financial penalties don't apply to unsigned draft picks and players with restricted free agent, franchise or transition tenders who aren't under contract that miss training camp. Their attendance isn't required because of the absence of a signed contract. Contractually obligated services or performance isn't being withheld in these cases.

But Schultz, signed his contract under the tag, so is under contract for the year. It is not like he does not have a deal at all.

blueblood70

Reaction score
who cares LMAO

"WE" you got Daltons bank info and paying his salary from your account. Why do fans care about this :facepalm::huh:

secondly hes not holding out these are voluntary and i doubt once required practices start he will come..its not hold out its risk reward choice. He decided the first few weeks of OTAS were enough and now no need to risk and injury for these types of practices which are really more for the young bucks..

if he holds out lets talk until then jeez give the overactions rest especially about contracts and cap stuff..

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
But Schultz, signed his contract under the tag, so is under contract for the year. It is not like he does not have a deal at all.
Also another piece of interesting language.
One thing that shouldn't happen, regardless of service time, is walking out after reporting. It can lead to some drastic consequences. When this occurs, a team can send a player a letter warning him that he can be put on the reserve/left squad list after five days if he hasn't returned, which would prevent him from playing for the rest of the season. The player's contract would also toll where it would be frozen and resume the next year.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Also another piece of interesting language.
One thing that shouldn't happen, regardless of service time, is walking out after reporting. It can lead to some drastic consequences. When this occurs, a team can send a player a letter warning him that he can be put on the reserve/left squad list after five days if he hasn't returned, which would prevent him from playing for the rest of the season. The player's contract would also toll where it would be frozen and resume the next year.

Wow, I did not know that.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Players can't really hold out anymore. The new CBA makes them actually pay the fines. But I think post #2 actually answers the question in the OP.
thats what I was gonna ask... so players used to hold out all the time, teams would fine them daily, then when the player signed the deal, the team would throw those fines in the trash and the player never actually lost any money. BUT, that isnt the case anymore, correct? The team no longer has an option to waive those fines. So if a player racks up 1 million dollars in fines from holding out, that actually will be paid by the player now, once they end the hold out.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Dumbest thing he can do is hand Ferguson a golden opportunity to get up to speed quickly or even take the job from him with increased reps.

Then he can't get his inflated dump off stats and a big contract.

And Flamma is right about increased fines.

He will be in camp.
inflated dump off stats???? thats what it is... just garbage dump off stats. You must not be watching the same games I watch.