If Sewell & Pitts fall who do you take?

reddyuta

Reaction score
Lawrence is the best player in the draft, and it's not close.

I swear, how do you guys get this wrong so consistently?

There is very little distance between Pitts/Parsons/Sewell/Chase/Surtain. Might want to get a different info source, yours is misleading you!!!!!!!!

I dont believe this.I have more doubts about Lawrence than Pitts.I think PItts can be a HOfer if he plays upto his potential.

kskboys

Reaction score
I dont believe this.I have more doubts about Lawrence than Pitts.I think PItts can be a HOfer if he plays upto his potential.
Then you're not reading the right scouting reports. Lawrence is being considered by most as a generational talent.

Far as that goes, so is Sewell, who is the 2nd highest rated player in this draft.

Parsons is rated around the same as Pitts. Has some questions because he didn't play last season and some sort of hazing incident in college which is the only reason he's rated lower. Parsons is a lock to be a starting LB, and looks like a future HOFer.

Now, I don't really understand why we're talking about whether a player is a HOFer or not. At this point, it's more about whether they can play, at what level, and what their floor and ceiling is.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Then you're not reading the right scouting reports. Lawrence is being considered by most as a generational talent.

Far as that goes, so is Sewell, who is the 2nd highest rated player in this draft.

Parsons is rated around the same as Pitts. Has some questions because he didn't play last season and some sort of hazing incident in college which is the only reason he's rated lower. Parsons is a lock to be a starting LB, and looks like a future HOFer.

Now, I don't really understand why we're talking about whether a player is a HOFer or not. At this point, it's more about whether they can play, at what level, and what their floor and ceiling is.

I am not talking about scouting reports.I have seen both players a lot and honestly i think Pitts has more potential.Lawrence is one of the best QB prospect in recent years but Pitts might be the best TE prospect i have seen in a long time.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Lawrence can bust like they all can but he is in that rarefied air with Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning as almost can't miss QB's. And that's the vast majority of QB analysts. And Wilson is not that far behind him.

Sewell and Slater are the safest picks because they're OL and fewer 1st round OL bust than any other position and then it is usually injury.

Parsons is a freak in that body, his only question is his mind.

Pitts is a freak as well but he is not a complete TE and will need a team to use him as Gonzalez was used. As great as Gonzalez was, he didn't win a playoff game until his last season. Gates didn't get there enough and we know about Witten. The TE position just isn't the key to it. Gronkowski and Sharpe were exceptions, not the rule.

Adreme

Reaction score
Or, tyron goes down, sewell goes in and dominats and you admit it was a great pick. Sewell could just as easily turn out to be the more valuable pick, I know you can see that. Lots of guys dominate college and never live up to the hype, it's a gamble period.

Its not really a gamble. Generational talents do not outright bust. It does not happen. For them a floor is they were only in a few Pro Bowls. There is a reason 1st round pick tend to do better than 7th round picks and that is because it is not purely gambling.

Also, "if the starter goes down maybe our 10th pick can get playing time otherwise he is warming the bench for 2 years" is not a good recipe for success. That still makes it a bad pick. Trevor Lawrence could get hit by a car the day after getting drafted and never play in the NFL and it would not have been wrong to make that pick. You plan around what your team is, not what they could be. The very thinking that the lower-tier starters on the team could completely become Pro Bowl level players, despite that they have not in the years they have been in the league so far, is exactly how you end up having such poor drafts and free agency periods because "we like our guys".

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
First off, my first post in this thread said this entire exercise was a waste of time as both players will be gone by 10.

Second off, my projection of the TEs is based purely on their production and their production has not been great. Every team in the NFL has a Blake Jarwin and by that I mean that player that fans are absolutely convinced could have a breakout if he just got an opportunity. However, there is a reason nobody else can name them because they have not done anything and they rarely ever do. As it stands the Cowboys have low-end starters at TE and are both easily replaceable. That is not an agenda, that is simply what their production has shown them to be.

Finally, when you look at the Tackles for Cowboys you see a player who has made Pro Bowls and 2x first team all pro, and another player who has also elevated himself and just signed a fairly sizable extension that makes him uncuttable for the next 2 seasons. Again that is what their production has shown them to be. This means your 10th pick will not play at his natural position unless an injury occurs. You are spending the 10th pick on a backup T/starting G (who probably will not be great at G just because of his skillset being far more favorable to T). This is not an agenda. They have actual accolades. I am not looking at what current NFL players "could" be, I am looking at what they are.

I'm delighted to see you're so convinced that this thread is a waste of time. I'd never guess it by your final response, though! :muttley:

Adreme

Reaction score
I'm delighted to see you're so convinced that this thread is a waste of time. I'd never guess it by your final response, though! :muttley:

I mean if you wanted to engage in a purely hypothetical debate then I will oblige. Plus it took shape and highlighted this problem that many fans have, which Jerry Jones also has, of overestimating the lesser players on the roster.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I mean if you wanted to engage in a purely hypothetical debate then I will oblige. Plus it took shape and highlighted this problem that many fans have, which Jerry Jones also has, of overestimating the lesser players on the roster.

The only problem that I can see is with you to decide whether this conversation is actually a waste of time or not. :rolleyes: :D I'm done.

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Trade down is the correct answer, but if you must pick then Sewell over Pitts if no other defensive player is close.

ondaedg

Reaction score
If they both fall, you open up bidding for the pick. I think you can net two firsts and a second for that if not more.

rambo2

Reaction score
Lawrence is the best player in the draft, and it's not close.

I swear, how do you guys get this wrong so consistently?

There is very little distance between Pitts/Parsons/Sewell/Chase/Surtain. Might want to get a different info source, yours is misleading you!!!!!!!!
According to nfl.com. It is close.

jrumann59

Reaction score
What stat line would people be happy with on Pitts if taken at 10. This is #10 overall draft pick. What is a good rookie season, i am interested in seeing how delusional people are.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Smith can't stay healthy any more with his lower back issues, you better protect your franchise QB's blindside, Sewell is the choice and it isn't a hard choice
And until Tyron gets healthy, let Sewell play our weak spot: LG.

Tyron-Sewell-Biadasz-Zack-Collins

yes please.