If Stephen Jones doesnt care why should the fans?

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
I can understand the frustration. If we were just a terrible team talent wise I think people would be more understanding.

The Romo led teams had some talent... this team has talent. It just sucks watching it go to waste. It’s annoying watching new up and coming coaches get further than us in just 1-2 years. Or when the teams in your division have been to and won multiple Super Bowls. While We haven’t even been to a championship game.

When “we fought back and played hard” is the rallying cry I can see why fans will be upset. Is not like it’s been like it is for 2 years. It’s been a while now if the same acceptance.

I don’t expect them to fire Garret at 3-2. However I do if we don’t go further than last year with just as much talent on the roster. In a year we’re we started 3-0 and the division is a bit weaker for once ( on paper). If not he’s gotta finally go.
Hard to disagree with a thing you said.

Well done and without attacking anyone else which seems to be preferred way of posting for many these days.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
There are some legitimate criticisms of Garrett, but this isn't one of them.

I assume you realize the job isn't just on game day, and that it isn't uncommon for head coaches to not be coordinators. Watch Belichick sometime. He isn't running around coaching players either. Some head coaches do, and some don't. There isn't only one way.

During the week leading up to game the head coach instructs the coaches on what he wants the team to work on, schedules practices, watches game film, reviews game plans with the coordinators and generally oversees game week preparation. He is a manager, much like a manager might be in a business setting where he doesn't do all the work himself, but rather hires lower level managers to make sure the work gets done in accordance with his expectations.

All that said, I'm not indicating that Garrett is outstanding at any of this, I'm just informing that coaching is not just about what you see in game day, and that's especially true with a head coach who is not an offensive or defensive coordinator.

That's all well and good, but when his plans are not going well during a game I never see him keelhaul any of his coaches and get in their *** a little. He never gets in a player's face who just screwed up AGAIN. I mean, come on.

Positivity is great, but some brimstone needs to happen sometimes, too.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
There is zero reason to spend money on the Cowboys. Stephen and his comments today make it clear Jason isn't going anywhere.

The boss is publicly fully behind his employee until he's decided to dump him and is greasing the skids for it.

So he's not greasing the skids yet. I wouldn't read much more into that. Stephen has been more direct than Jerry about "needing to take the next step."

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's all well and good, but when his plans are not going well during a game I never see him keelhaul any of his coaches and get in their *** a little. He never gets in a player's face who just screwed up AGAIN. I mean, come on.

Positivity is great, but some brimstone needs to happen sometimes, too.
I don't see Belichick do that either. I think because it stands out when it does happen some may assume it happens often, but it's actually very rare to see a head coach lay into an assistant coach on the sidelines.

In any case, what you are talking about is coaching style, which is not the same as saying he does nothing. Like you, I personally would like to see a little more emotion from Garrett when things aren't going well, although I don't think chewing on coaches on the sideline is the way to go. But some anger along with the positivity I think is a good style.

A coach I liked watching was Bill Cowher. He could blow up and lose it, but he was also very positive and excited when things went right, and I think there was mutual respect and even affection between him and the players and coaches. I like coaches who can walk that line where the players love you, but also respect and defer to you.

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Umm this is completely false about the offense he "Inherited". The offenses he coordinated in 07, 08, and 09 were very good to excellent.

the 2010 numbers were skewed because Romo was injured, barber and jones were banged up and Jon Kitna was awful in a couple of the games he played in...mostly Jax, GB and Ari.

But he did not in any way inherit a bad offense. The line was in need of rebuilding and so were the running backs but it was not a bad offense at all. The 2011 team had injuries at RB and O-line again that cost them some games but it was an outstanding offense. Romo was spectacular except for two games vs the Jets and Lions. After the lions game he was pretty great all year. The final game at NY the offensive line was no match for the Giants defense...just like nobody else was when they one the super bowl a few weeks later.

The Cowboys record for the 3 years prior to Garrett being OC they were 6-10, 9-7, 9-7 and the offense ranked 16th, 15th, and 13th. The 3 1/2 years as the OC the offense did improve the first 3 years having 13-3, 9-7, 11-5 but the defense that was once ranked 3rd had slid down to 16th. The running back Garrett as OC had barber who had not reach 1000 yards in any year. He had Owens as his #1 receiver who like Bryant's last year led the league in drops. The when Garrett became head coach his defense that once was ranked #3 was then at #16. The offensive line was old and no longer a top unit forcing Romo to run for his life on almost every pass play. THE ONLY semblance of a good offense was what Romo provide with his ability to move around. Garrett's first 2 years as head coach he had Murry who also failed to get 1000 yards either year. Most of that was due to that aged O-line that Garrett eventually completely replaced and the rushing numbers went up and the sack numbers went down. Garrett as head coach also started to help the defense by getting two ends that could get pressure and sacks, Ware and Spencer. In short Garrett had to rebuild an older team that took 3 years before showing the fruits of that. Garrett by no means inherited that good offense you seem to think the Cowboys had, if he did and if the defense was still good, Phillips wouldn't have been fired. Yes with Garrett as OC the Cowboys made the playoffs but the was the end of the run for that aged team.

MikeB80

Reaction score
The Cowboys record for the 3 years prior to Garrett being OC they were 6-10, 9-7, 9-7 and the offense ranked 16th, 15th, and 13th. The 3 1/2 years as the OC the offense did improve the first 3 years having 13-3, 9-7, 11-5 but the defense that was once ranked 3rd had slid down to 16th. The running back Garrett as OC had barber who had not reach 1000 yards in any year. He had Owens as his #1 receiver who like Bryant's last year led the league in drops. The when Garrett became head coach his defense that once was ranked #3 was then at #16. The offensive line was old and no longer a top unit forcing Romo to run for his life on almost every pass play. THE ONLY semblance of a good offense was what Romo provide with his ability to move around. Garrett's first 2 years as head coach he had Murry who also failed to get 1000 yards either year. Most of that was due to that aged O-line that Garrett eventually completely replaced and the rushing numbers went up and the sack numbers went down. Garrett as head coach also started to help the defense by getting two ends that could get pressure and sacks, Ware and Spencer. In short Garrett had to rebuild an older team that took 3 years before showing the fruits of that. Garrett by no means inherited that good offense you seem to think the Cowboys had, if he did and if the defense was still good, Phillips wouldn't have been fired. Yes with Garrett as OC the Cowboys made the playoffs but the was the end of the run for that aged team.

Garrett helped the defense by having ware and spencer? If you are going to argue with someone you have to know the basic facts. Also, yes the cowboys had a very good offense in the years prior to garrett being named the head coach and he was the coordinator of it.

also please tell me you didnt use 04 as relevance to anything. You won't fin a bigger Romo guy than me but you are making a very bad case for Romo here and I don't think you really know the history of the team during these years all that well.

have a nice day.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
How do you consider Garrett as more qualified than Campo who had decades of experience.

Campo like Phillips had/has more experience coaching as either position coaches or coordinators but both, even with all that experience proved to be bad head coaches. All that experience didn't make them good head coaches.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Garrett helped the defense by having ware and spencer? If you are going to argue with someone you have to know the basic facts. Also, yes the cowboys had a very good offense in the years prior to garrett being named the head coach and he was the coordinator of it.

also please tell me you didnt use 04 as relevance to anything. You won't fin a bigger Romo guy than me but you are making a very bad case for Romo here and I don't think you really know the history of the team during these years all that well.

have a nice day.

First off talking defense and then saying Garrett was the coordinator is a HUGE mistake. Garrett was the OC not the DC. Second Romo didn't begin to start until 2010 so why would 2004 even come up in the conversation. Lastly I've been a huge Romo fan and to this day there is still a pic of Romo on as my home screen on my personal computer. If anything I was giving Romo credit for what offense the Cowboys had for a big part of his career.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I hear ya. But as Cowboy Junkies we can’t expect the product to improve if we aren’t demanding it and holding those responsible accountable.

Are you actually thinking that Jerry or Stephen sits and reads all of the Cowboys boards to see what fans are saying. Do you really think they take time out all of the actual football stuff they do to sit and read fans or people that claim to be fans are saying about the Cowboys. If you do I have some swampland I know you're just itching to buy.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
There is zero reason to spend money on the Cowboys. Stephen and his comments today make it clear Jason isn't going anywhere. We are basically the Detroit Lions or Washington Commanders. Its Jerry and Stephens toy and there is no reason for them to change. Its been 25 years of crap. If Jason isn't gone I'm getting to the point where I'm almost done with this team.
His comments today were a slap in the face to any fan who has been with this team.

Nothing is going to change. This thing can go from good to bad quickly. Look at the number of FAs they have. Look at how far some of these contracts are. The future is murky at best.

MikeB80

Reaction score
First off talking defense and then saying Garrett was the coordinator is a HUGE mistake. Garrett was the OC not the DC. Second Romo didn't begin to start until 2010 so why would 2004 even come up in the conversation. Lastly I've been a huge Romo fan and to this day there is still a pic of Romo on as my home screen on my personal computer. If anything I was giving Romo credit for what offense the Cowboys had for a big part of his career.

okay well.

You said three years before and added the 6-10..that was the 04 season.

Romo started in october of 2006 after halftime vs the giants.
I never said garrett was the defensive coordinator, I was pointing out that you attributed ware and spencer to garrett when ware was drafted by parcells in 05 and spencer was drafted in 07 by wade.

Big_D

Reaction score
Stephen and Jerry are both clowns. It's just become pathetic at this point.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I'll wait till mid season or season end before I start screaming about the Joneses. But it wouldn't surprise me if Garrett goes 8-8 and they give him another year or extension. Thus the team management we are dealing with....Someone described them as clowns but I think that's a smack in the face to every clown that has ever lived...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Are you actually thinking that Jerry or Stephen sits and reads all of the Cowboys boards to see what fans are saying. Do you really think they take time out all of the actual football stuff they do to sit and read fans or people that claim to be fans are saying about the Cowboys. If you do I have some swampland I know you're just itching to buy.
That’s not what I mean by holding them accountable.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Campo like Phillips had/has more experience coaching as either position coaches or coordinators but both, even with all that experience proved to be bad head coaches. All that experience didn't make them good head coaches.
True but that wasn’t the argument. And Phillips wasn’t part of it. It was who had more experience and more qualified coming in to be HC. Campo or Garrett

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
True but that wasn’t the argument. And Phillips wasn’t part of it. It was who had more experience and more qualified coming in to be HC. Campo or Garrett

Again all you're doing is asking who had more years experience at some other type of coaching before becoming head coach and AGAIN the list is a mile long of coaches with many years as position coaches or coordinators that made terrible head coaches so you're question of who had more PRIOR coaching experience before becoming head coach means little, Campo proved that.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
okay well.

You said three years before and added the 6-10..that was the 04 season.

Romo started in october of 2006 after halftime vs the giants.
I never said garrett was the defensive coordinator, I was pointing out that you attributed ware and spencer to garrett when ware was drafted by parcells in 05 and spencer was drafted in 07 by wade.

You're right Romo started in 2006 and I knew that and don't know why I put 2010. All I was doing was saying Romo in 2004 wasn't a thought because he was still sitting on the bench his 2nd year.

Also that 6-10 was 2010 and that was a combination of Phillips and Garret and Garrett was the interim head coach. I said the 3 years prior to and meaning permanent head coach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Again all you're doing is asking who had more years experience at some other type of coaching before becoming head coach and AGAIN the list is a mile long of coaches with many years as position coaches or coordinators that made terrible head coaches so you're question of who had more PRIOR coaching experience before becoming head coach means little, Campo proved that.
Of course it had meaning. Your just discounting it because of the results.