If Stephen Jones doesnt care why should the fans?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Then what are you referring to when you say fans have to hold Jones accountable?
Financially . Like not showing up to the games or buying merchandise.

I guess you forgot how fans forced their will in late 80’s with half empty stadiums and black out broadcast with the Cowboys losing millions ?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

I guess you forgot how fans forced their will in late 80’s with half empty stadiums and black out broadcast with the Cowboys losing millions ?

You are so funny!!! The games with a half full stadium and then of course blacked out happened in 1987. Oh by the way that was also the year that the players went on strike and teams used replacement players and ALL TEAMS suffered with attendance then. As far as merchandise goes, the NFL and all teams factor in a possible 5% drop due to a myriad of problems and situations and again that strike was expected to lose more. Now the Cowboys did have another half empty stadium the first game in 1990 after the 1989 1 - 15 season. So your claim that a few disgruntled fans can have any real direct impact on what Jones does is BS.

MikeB80

Reaction score

this can't happen anymore though. The owners all have PSL's which guarantees the tickets are sold. That is the trick they pulled on everyone all over the league with these new stadiums. once someone buys a psl that seat will be sold forever. For example, if you bought a seat at the new stadium in 2009 then you had to buy a PSL, if you decided in 2013 I hate this team and don't want to go anymore you have to sell the PSL to someone first. Until it is sold you are going to be billed for the tickets to the next season, when it sells the new owner of the PSL will be billed for the tickets.

There is zero chance of empty stadiums because of PSL's. Now there are a lot of stadiums this year I keep seeing with tons of empty seats but those must not have PSL's or the ticket holders literally dont care about the money and don't go...I believe the tickets were still paid for though in april.

Buying merchandise is viable though but with this organization they are so involved in different companies it is virtually impossible to affect them financially.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
this can't happen anymore though. The owners all have PSL's which guarantees the tickets are sold. That is the trick they pulled on everyone all over the league with these new stadiums. once someone buys a psl that seat will be sold forever. For example, if you bought a seat at the new stadium in 2009 then you had to buy a PSL, if you decided in 2013 I hate this team and don't want to go anymore you have to sell the PSL to someone first. Until it is sold you are going to be billed for the tickets to the next season, when it sells the new owner of the PSL will be billed for the tickets.

There is zero chance of empty stadiums because of PSL's. Now there are a lot of stadiums this year I keep seeing with tons of empty seats but those must not have PSL's or the ticket holders literally dont care about the money and don't go...I believe the tickets were still paid for though in april.

Buying merchandise is viable though but with this organization they are so involved in different companies it is virtually impossible to affect them financially.
I know how PSL work and why I gave up season tickets after 37 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You are so funny!!! The games with a half full stadium and then of course blacked out happened in 1987. Oh by the way that was also the year that the players went on strike and teams used replacement players and ALL TEAMS suffered with attendance then. As far as merchandise goes, the NFL and all teams factor in a possible 5% drop due to a myriad of problems and situations and again that strike was expected to lose more. Now the Cowboys did have another half empty stadium the first game in 1990 after the 1989 1 - 15 season. So your claim that a few disgruntled fans can have any real direct impact on what Jones does is BS.
It was not only 1987. I was there . I know. It was in 88 and 89 too.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Didn’t say I did. I was a 37 year holder of season tickets at Texas and was with a group that protested the PSL and didn’t make the move. But is why I understand totally what they are.

Yep. The psl's are completely unfair to fans but they were just forced through because the rich always get richer.

The stadium here I believe would have attendance issues without the psl's. A lot of the seats that get dumped each week by the corporate owners and ticket brokers would end up unsold in this market.

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
Hes not giving up on the season and hes not going to belittle his coach while we sit at 3-2 and in first place. This post is at least 12 weeks too early bro.
Exactly. On what alternate universe does the owner undermine his coach while in first place and with 3/4 of the season to go? Plenty of time for that later.

Reactions: CWR

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep. The psl's are completely unfair to fans but they were just forced through because the rich always get richer.

The stadium here I believe would have attendance issues without the psl's. A lot of the seats that get dumped each week by the corporate owners and ticket brokers would end up unsold in this market.
Yep

Unfortunately they all can’t organize to take a hit for a few games not brokering them out to send a message. I would !

Big_D

Reaction score
Stephen could use that same ridiculous spiel this week

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No, I never bought them. I gave up my Rights after 37 years at Texas Stadium along with tens of thousands of others.

Ya and guess what, AT&T stadium still sells out even without your "thousands" that either couldn't afford to pay the PSL or chose not to so your BIG idea that Jones makes any decisions based on what "fans" do doesn't hold water. Every year there are people that sell their tickets mostly because of economic reasons and there is always other fans ready to buy them up. I've said many times that the NFL is quickly turning into a wealthy man's club to go to the games. The average Joe Blow has to skimp and save for a while to afford all the expenses of going to just a single game. I know someone that says he saves and plans to attend a game and take his 2 boys every other season because that is all he can afford. He even tells the boys that when they go it's both boy's birthday and Christmas presents for that year.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It was not only 1987. I was there . I know. It was in 88 and 89 too.

Funny that when someone looks up the non-sellout games for the Cowboys since they started to televise home games if sold out that the1987 strike season and the 1st game of 1990 are the only ones that are listed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Funny that when someone looks up the non-sellout games for the Cowboys since they started to televise home games if sold out that the1987 strike season and the 1st game of 1990 are the only ones that are listed.
Since Dec 1990 the Cowboys have had consecutive sell outs.

As far as the rest , like I said I was there . I was a season ticket holder from 1971-2008. Mandated black outs didn’t begin until 1973 which required selling out 72 hours in advance. Before 1973 all home games were blackout locally.

Cowboys had blackouts even during heyday in the 70’s. Not many and usually a small amount like a couple thousand. And there were times when local tv affiliates bought the remaining tickets to broadcast.

But the late 80’s were more drastic with some games even after the strike in 87 having less than 50,000 in attendance. Too many tickets for local affiliates to purchase. Cowboys revenue begin to be effected and by 1989 Cowboys were losing about a million a month which 30 years ago was a significant amount.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Since Dec 1990 the Cowboys have had consecutive sell outs.

As far as the rest , like I said I was there . I was a season ticket holder from 1971-2008. Mandated black outs didn’t begin until 1973 which required selling out 72 hours in advance. Before 1973 all home games were blackout locally.

Cowboys had blackouts even during heyday in the 70’s. Not many and usually a small amount like a couple thousand. And there were times when local tv affiliates bought the remaining tickets to broadcast.

But the late 80’s were more drastic with some games even after the strike in 87 having less than 50,000 in attendance. Too many tickets for local affiliates to purchase. Cowboys revenue begin to be effected and by 1989 Cowboys were losing about a million a month which 30 years ago was a significant amount.

First off it wasn't the local affiliates that bought up those tickets, it was Jones himself and then he donated them to local charities and service clubs to distribute. The first time he did that he was going to donate them to the police and fire departments but was told that they could not accept them so instead he donated them to charities and service clubs.

I find it VERY hard to believe that during the 70's when the Cowboys went to FOUR Super Bowls that they weren't selling out. Again both articles I found state that the Cowboys after local affiliates could air games if sold out they listed the 87 strike year and the 1st game in 90. You're trying to paint the Cowboys like the Browns who at one time went a decade of blackouts.