If Tannehill can do it, why not Dalton

blueblood70

Reaction score
just had to look up the ages and they are the same age, have had a similar career path ie numbers are very close etc

knowing that Tannehill was all but labeled a JAG, close to bust, never going to be a winner or star and yet the Tians go insert him change the game plan to more run oriented smart football with great defense and hes all of a sudden resurrected his career..

Why Not Dalton, i know maybe not here but if somehow it happened where he plays above average here and we somehow salvage this season and big maybe on Daks status and future given the injury and contract up in the air,

he has a few good years left and could bridge the Cowboys to the next young QB, maybe Nooch..who knows..

just watching RT go to a afccg after his first stop was a failure and now has his team 4-0 , why not Dalton?

its not that big of stretch and i know the entire volume of responses is we dont have that kind of defense, not yet is the answer.. lets just focus on our offense because thats all he can control..

wonder what MM is truly thinking these if AD has a very high grade to end this season..

lots of options are at our disposal because you tag Dak with Non franchise and take offers on trade if AD is deemed good enough to lead for few years while preparing the next guy..

If you dont get the offers you like and Dak and his agent finally see hes not getting better offers maybe deal is struck and this becomes MOOT..

just spit balling over coffee.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Different situations can make guys better and make some guys worse.

If Dak starts his career in Cincy and Dalton starts his career in Dallas I think both of them have a much different career.

I feel like Dak and Dalton are similar players and Dalton is going to come in and give us a similar level of play and get similar results to Dak which shouldn't be hard because as far as results go Dak has set the bar pretty low recently.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Why won’t the cowboys make the NFCCG? Because they don’t have a defense. The titans have a very good defense. That’s the main reason they are having so much success. Tannehill is playing well.

is it possible dalton plays well in Dak’s absence? Sure. It could happen.

I will say this. If Dalton does have a revival. Like Tannehill did..... look at the contract that Tannehill then got. Like 29 mil per season.

that’s only like 6-8 less per year than Dak.

do you want Dalton over Dak if the cap savings is only 6-8?

Dalton being a “bridge” option depends on a lot of factors. 1. Dalton playing well. 2. If dalton does play very well, him wanting to sign a “discount” deal where the savings makes sense over a younger QB like Dak.

There’s a lot of variables here.

Dinucci is not a realistic long term option. The chance of him being a good QB is less than 1%

If the cowboys do move on for a rookie or young QB. I don’t want bargain basement chad hutchinsons or drew Henson’s.

cowboys gotta use a premium pick to maximize the chance or finding a good QB.

We shall see what happens.

Last edited:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Tannehill isn't good, and the fact that he can't throw the ball downfield is why they lost in the playoffs.

foofighters

Reaction score
Dak has shown that it doesn't matter what an average QB does with this team. We can't overcome our defensive issues. The offenses' miscues has hurt the defense even more but it's going to take a great QB to overcome all of this. Which we don't have.

shabazz

Reaction score
Why won’t the cowboys make the NFCCG? Because they don’t have a defense. The titans have a very good defense. That’s the main reason they are having so much success. Tannehill is playing well.

I will say this. If Dalton does have a revival. Like Tannehill did..... look at the contract that Tannehill then got. Like 29 mil per season.

Dalton being a “bridge” option depends on a lot of factors. 1. Dalton playing well. 2. If dalton does play very well, him wanting to sign a “discount” deal where the savings makes sense over a younger QB like Dak.

Dinucci is not a realistic long term option. The chance of him being a good QB is less than 1%

Agree with a lot of this with the exception of Dalton getting anything remotely close to 29 million. Not gonna happen

blueblood70

Reaction score
Tannehill isn't good, and the fact that he can't throw the ball downfield is why they lost in the playoffs.

Tannehill isnt great but hes better then advertised with MIA and sure is helpig the titans win games when needed

we are talking Dalton here,

and he can throw the ball downfield...

no one mistaking this guy for tier 1 elite we are talking about how he futures here and with these WRs and Zeke and pollard and coach calling a version of offense hes used to already.. hypothetically hes no worse then Dak and we will have that evidence because my scenario is IF he should play well to finish out this season..not your opinion of him now

HungryLion

Reaction score
I like Dak.

However Dalton will make throws that Dak will not.
It may move the safeties and LBs back opening up the run game. Not to mention help this OL.
I hope it works.

If you think Dalton is going to “move safeties and LB’s back” further than Dak who leads the league in deep passing....... I think you may be disappointed.

HungryLion

Reaction score
really that odd because i saw dimes downfield on the GW drive coming off the bench cold..get passed it some of you are unrealistic your argument was moot as soon as you stated he cant throw downfield when we saw just that in his debut with the DC.. BTW AJ Green says you are HIGH..they even talked about it during the game he actually likes play action and throws a nice deep pass..

no one mistaking this guy for tier 1 elite we are talking about how he futures here and with these WRs and Zeke and pollard and coach calling a version of offense hes used to already.. hypothetically hes no worse then Dak and we will have that evidence because my scenario is IF he should play well to finish out this season..not your opinion of him now

lol apparently you got triggered by his post without reading the actual name. He said TANNEHILL. Not Dalton.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
It's impossible comparing one quarterback to another being none are alike.

blueblood70

Reaction score
His D is better than the boys and they create TO's, so that helps him alot.
I said to leave the defense out of it and you guys cant follow instructions does it matter Dak coming back would be in the same position as Dalton, we are talking how he can lead the offense, period.. how big a drop would it truly be from dak to Dalton should the decision come down to that?

this is hypothetical hanging on how Dalton closes out this year..

do any of you read before you reply? i said IF IF IF Dalton closes out this season strong..

blueblood70

Reaction score
lol apparently you got triggered by his post without reading the actual name. He said TANNEHILL. Not Dalton.
already corrected before you posted. Doesnt matter tannehill obviously helped aide them IN their run to get to the playoffs regardless of henry and the defense. He did his part where Mariota could not..
we have Zeke and Pollard and 3 WRs that all can make big plays and can design an gameplan fit Dalton

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I said to leave the defense out of it and you guys cant follow instructions does it matter Dak coming back would be in the same position as Dalton, we are talking how he can lead the offense, period.. how big a drop would it truly be from dak to Dalton should the decision come down to that?

do any of you read before you reply? i said IF IF IF Dalton closes out this season strong..

Did not read the Mark Twain novel hommie. Can read but multi tasking here and not going to read everything. So now you have it. Peace and one love to you.

blueblood70

Reaction score

If the cowboys do move on for a rookie or young QB. I don’t want bargain basement chad hutchinsons or drew Henson’s.

cowboys gotta use a premium pick to maximize the chance or finding a good QB.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Dak has shown that it doesn't matter what an average QB does with this team. We can't overcome our defensive issues. The offenses' miscues has hurt the defense even more but it's going to take a great QB to overcome all of this. Which we don't have.
Good point. Even a really good qb on this team will need to consistently put up 40 pts in order to win because of the D. That's a lot to ask of any qb.