If Tannehill can do it, why not Dalton

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
just had to look up the ages and they are the same age, have had a similar career path ie numbers are very close etc

knowing that Tannehill was all but labeled a JAG, close to bust, never going to be a winner or star and yet the Tians go insert him change the game plan to more run oriented smart football with great defense and hes all of a sudden resurrected his career..

Why Not Dalton, i know maybe not here but if somehow it happened where he plays above average here and we somehow salvage this season and big maybe on Daks status and future given the injury and contract up in the air,

he has a few good years left and could bridge the Cowboys to the next young QB, maybe Nooch..who knows..

just watching RT go to a afccg after his first stop was a failure and now has his team 4-0 , why not Dalton?

its not that big of stretch and i know the entire volume of responses is we dont have that kind of defense, not yet is the answer.. lets just focus on our offense because thats all he can control..

wonder what MM is truly thinking these if AD has a very high grade to end this season..

lots of options are at our disposal because you tag Dak with Non franchise and take offers on trade if AD is deemed good enough to lead for few years while preparing the next guy..

If you dont get the offers you like and Dak and his agent finally see hes not getting better offers maybe deal is struck and this becomes MOOT..

just spit balling over coffee.

If you cant answer that easy question then you don't deserve to be in a football conversation, which you don't.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
just had to look up the ages and they are the same age, have had a similar career path ie numbers are very close etc

knowing that Tannehill was all but labeled a JAG, close to bust, never going to be a winner or star and yet the Tians go insert him change the game plan to more run oriented smart football with great defense and hes all of a sudden resurrected his career..

That could be a problem.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Tannehill isnt great but hes better then advertised with MIA and sure is helpig the titans win games when needed

we are talking Dalton here,

and he can throw the ball downfield...

no one mistaking this guy for tier 1 elite we are talking about how he futures here and with these WRs and Zeke and pollard and coach calling a version of offense hes used to already.. hypothetically hes no worse then Dak and we will have that evidence because my scenario is IF he should play well to finish out this season..not your opinion of him now
He wasn't helping when they won two games in the playoffs with less than 100 yards passing.

The point is that the Titans have a ceiling, and it's low because they don't have a consistent downfield passing game. If you want Dalton to be Tannehill, you don't want to win a Super Bowl.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Agree with a lot of this with the exception of Dalton getting anything remotely close to 29 million. Not gonna happen

if its 2-3 year stop gap, yes.. the colts tried with Briseett that and while it hasn't fully worked out its sometimes with that then a huge deal to a player that might be way passed that..dont se much difference when layers like briosett, tannehill, or TeddyB got 28+ and truly arent the long term answer, they are bridges..

BTW Daks coming in demanding 39+ given what Watson got and i doubt he folds early so the FT deal will happen again but this time Non exclusive so we shall see where those demands fall when the time comes..he may hold out this time. so we better have a plan with Dalton, just in case.

Like i said hypothetical IF Dalton finishes strong and if he gets 28 takes it being Texas might be where hed like to Finish his career that 10-12mil less then dak on shorter deal..

all hypothetical people you guys are taking this way further then it has to,...

we will see the next 11 games and i bet many will have different opinion after those 11 games Dalton is auditioning for..

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I said to leave the defense out of it and you guys cant follow instructions does it matter Dak coming back would be in the same position as Dalton, we are talking how he can lead the offense, period.. how big a drop would it truly be from dak to Dalton should the decision come down to that?

this is hypothetical hanging on how Dalton closes out this year..

do any of you read before you reply? i said IF IF IF Dalton closes out this season strong..
To answer your question......If Dalton does well, I think it will force the Cowboys to re-evaluate their qb situation. Is it time to start looking for another franchise qb? Maybe.

But again, Dalton has to do well. He has played a couple of series. Let's see how he does over the course of a season. The question will most likely answer itself over time.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is why a team gets a backup like Dalton - because he does provide a chance to step in without a huge drop off. Dalton may not be quite Dak's level, but if the offense can clean up the early turnovers I don't think he has to be for the offense to be highly successful.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Comparing apples to oranges.

They require the bare minimum of Tannehill. They are well coached, play solid defense and special teams (when their FG kicking game is going right), are rarely penalized, and lead the league in the turnover battle. They also can kill you with the run game.

Tannehill isn't that good, the staff puts him in situations to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

RamziD

Reaction score
This is gonna be fun when Dak signs a deal or a franchise tag in 9 months and all of you mess your pants

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

They require the bare minimum of Tannehill. They are well coached, play solid defense and special teams (when their FG kicking game is going right), are rarely penalized, and lead the league in the turnover battle. They also can kill you with the run game.

Tannehill isn't that good, the staff puts him in situations to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Preach!

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score

I thing Tannehill makes good decisions that keep the mistakes to a minimum. Over all the Titans have a pretty strong team. Wish we had their defense.

John813

Reaction score
Agree with a lot of this with the exception of Dalton getting anything remotely close to 29 million. Not gonna happen

Now if your point is based off a flat cap, I agree. But Tannehill went from a backup option to a legit starter for the Titans. If Dalton proves he can still be a starter, high 20's per year isn't farfetched granted the cap doesn't decrease

DFWJC

Reaction score
Well, Dalton certainly is surrounded by plenty of weapons. The best 3 WR combo in the league and a RB that , regardless of what some here say, other teams fear .

The big change is that going forward, for the most part, the pass defenses are now going to be mostly good (vs facing the some of the league's worst in the first 5 weeks) but the run defenses will worse.....making it smart to exploit the run game more.

Our rushing yards should therefore go up and our passing yards down.

Seeing that Tannehill led the league in QB rating last year, is again top 5 this year, and has more TD passes and less picks than Dak with less weapons........I would take that efficiency with Dalton all day.

Not sure we'll get it but I'd take it.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
People are making too much of an issue of Dalton playing. The offense will be fine. Dalton can functionally run an offense. The problem is the defense. There are maybe 3 QBs walking this earth good enough to overcome this horrid defense.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He wasn't helping when they won two games in the playoffs with less than 100 yards passing.

The point is that the Titans have a ceiling, and it's low because they don't have a consistent downfield passing game. If you want Dalton to be Tannehill, you don't want to win a Super Bowl.

they were what 1-7 he actually had some big games passing games in the regular season and as qb lead them into the playoffs regardless of what happened in the playoffs. The titans paid him anyway, you telling me you know more then them on his worth? they didnt go after another QB, they know what they had in him and signed him..

this isn't Jerry this is the titans owner and GM made this decsion.

so ripping Tannehill to what hurt the merit of my thread? the fact is AFCCG and now 4-0 with tannehill regardless of his role..its still him playing QB vs mariotta ..

So this is Dalton taking over For dak in similar manner..we have 11 games to see if it even becomes a decision, thats the greatness of the situation..we will have the answers before decsions needs to be made.

its hypothetical and the veracity of you trying to downplay tannehills role is entertaining at best Given the titans already made their decision and iotas worked out pretty well..

this is about Dalton vs Dak should Dalton play so well and contract negotiation not favorable with dak ...

so calm down tannehill laughing at you and us sitting on team that made it to the AFCCG and now 4-0 this season with him at QB..got it? hes making what 30mil per, yup laughing at a fan trying to downplay his role given he came in with team that was 1-7 and look at them since..

you take the 12mil savings and put it on defense , FA etc use the draft picks(s) you get from lettig Dak walk in trade and use them for higher draft pick on defense...

just spit balling..

Swanny

Reaction score

Why Not Dalton, i know maybe not here but if somehow it happened where he plays above average here and we somehow salvage this season and big maybe on Daks status and future given the injury and contract up in the air,

he has a few good years left and could bridge the Cowboys to the next young QB, maybe Nooch..who knows..

just watching RT go to a afccg after his first stop was a failure and now has his team 4-0 , why not Dalton?

its not that big of stretch and i know the entire volume of responses is we dont have that kind of defense, not yet is the answer.. lets just focus on our offense because thats all he can control..

wonder what MM is truly thinking these if AD has a very high grade to end this season..

lots of options are at our disposal because you tag Dak with Non franchise and take offers on trade if AD is deemed good enough to lead for few years while preparing the next guy..

If you dont get the offers you like and Dak and his agent finally see hes not getting better offers maybe deal is struck and this becomes MOOT..

just spit balling over coffee.
Probably because Tannehill is a better QB