If Tannehill can do it, why not Dalton

kevm3

Reaction score
Dak has shown that it doesn't matter what an average QB does with this team. We can't overcome our defensive issues. The offenses' miscues has hurt the defense even more but it's going to take a great QB to overcome all of this. Which we don't have.

since when do average qbs lead the nfl in yardage and go on pace to break records for passing?

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
He is playing behind a very good defense. Dalton is being asked to score points because the defense is horrible at the moment.

gongjr

Reaction score
If Dalton performs, he'll probably get a big contract somewhere and I think he'll do that. That being said, it ain't gonna be here.
A) if he plays well i'm not sure his asking price will that much different
B) if this team does well, it'll be because of other factors and not the QB.

I'm not even a Dak fan but he's our guy and we can win with him, and let's not build a bridge into the unknown when you have a known.

quickccc

Reaction score
-Titans have a much better overall team and stable coaching around Tannehill than what Dalton has ...
- they have a much better defensive team than our struggling confused defense
- and their ground game is more on foot than ours,
- and their starting OL in not in shambles the way as we are.
- and they are more stable on special teams than what we are under Bones Fassel (why is there mistakes and mishaps with him every game ? )

- Dalton will have to play catch up and shoot out with this defense, and that's gonna change
and force Dalton's game.

Verdict

Reaction score
Dalton is what we have, for the time being. I don't see us making a trade for a QB as choppy as the rest of the team is playing.

We will just have to cheer on Dalton and see what happens. No one expected Dak to take over full time for Romo, either but it happened.

I personally, think it was a bad decision to move on from Romo, but you don't see me hating on Dak over it. You can disagree with the team's handling of something and still support your team.

Verdict

Reaction score
-Titans have a much better overall team and stable coaching around Tannehill than what Dalton has ...
- they have a much better defensive team than our struggling confused defense
- and their ground game is more on foot than ours,
- and their starting OL in not in shambles the way as we are.
- and they are more stable on special teams than what we are under Bones Fassel (why is there mistakes and mishaps with him every game ? )

- Dalton will have to play catch up and shoot out with this defense, and that's gonna change
and force Dalton's game.
Maybe. Or maybe he won't turn the ball early. and we will be in front of the chains for once and we start building momentum I think some people want to see Dalton fail.

If Dalton succeeds and sets the world on fire, just maybe we end up with a high comp pick for Dalton. Why is that a bad thing?

Dreski

Reaction score
Maybe. Or maybe he won't turn the ball early. and we will be in front of the chains for once and we start building momentum I think some people want to see Dalton fail.

If Dalton succeeds and sets the world on fire, just maybe we end up with a high comp pick for Dalton. Why is that a bad thing?

A 3rd round comp pick in 2022 is the best that we can get out of Andy. That doesn’t make your team better next year. Not saying Andy won’t play well but it’s going to be an uphill battle.

There’s only so much you can do play wise when you’ve got both your starting tackles out and have a rookie center starting(I think he’s doing well tbh)

Even without turn overs on offense, our run defense has been horrible. Special Teams has not helped us when if comes to kick off/punts. A QB was never gonna fix these issues, whether it was Dak or Andy.

Andy can get the ball out really quick which I think will help keep guys from getting strip sacks, but Zeke has to also stop giving up the ball

I don’t want the cowboys should lose, but I think it’d be more beneficial, long term, to have a losing record, miss the playoffs and have a better draft pick, than if we make the play offs at 8-8 and lose in the first round. Our defense needs some love.

Verdict

Reaction score
A 3rd round comp pick in 2022 is the best that we can get out of Andy. That doesn’t make your team better next year. Not saying Andy won’t play well but it’s going to be an uphill battle.

There’s only so much you can do play wise when you’ve got both your starting tackles out and have a rookie center starting(I think he’s doing well tbh)

Even without turn overs on offense, our run defense has been horrible. Special Teams has not helped us when if comes to kick off/punts. A QB was never gonna fix these issues, whether it was Dak or Andy.

Andy can get the ball out really quick which I think will help keep guys from getting strip sacks, but Zeke has to also stop giving up the ball

I don’t want the cowboys should lose, but I think it’d be more beneficial, long term, to have a losing record, miss the playoffs and have a better draft pick, than if we make the play offs at 8-8 and lose in the first round. Our defense needs some love.
I haven't written off the season, yet. So I'm still looking for wins, at this point.

bewp7

Reaction score
Titans paly defense. I believe in dalton a lot...but I do not believe in him enough that he can put up 40 every game to over come the defense never getting of the field.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Dallas tends to bring out the worst in players. Not likely to happen.

Verdict

Reaction score
Titans paly defense. I believe in dalton a lot...but I do not believe in him enough that he can put up 40 every game to over come the defense never getting of the field.
I don’t think the defense will remain historically bad for various reasons. If the defense does not improve either Nolan or some defenders will be replaced unless they want to tank.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Meh. I'd say any player that has been thrown away a decade into their career only to revitalize it is generally the exception, not the rule. I think the better question should be: Of all the players who are tossed away and never return to their previous form, why should anyone think Andy Dalton will be different?

Yes, some players can make a comeback but most don't. In fact, the comeback story is pretty rare. There are more players who continue to play at the level they were cut for than those who suddenly elevate their game.

My biggest concern is even if Dalton somehow returns to prime form, I still don't think it's going to be good enough to overcome a defense this bad. He's never been a guy that can hang 30+ every week, why should anyone believe he will be now?

foofighters

Reaction score
since when do average qbs lead the nfl in yardage and go on pace to break records for passing?
You're really making that argument during the Covid seasons where scoring is up all over the league? Not to mention all the receiving toys that Dak has? We needed the whole season to evaluate him not just the first four games during Covid.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Dalton has every cause in the world to put forth his best effort Monday night!

Wish him nothing but the best. It's in both his best interest and ours to shine.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
And failed to win a single playoff game, had seasons with 16, 17 and 20 picks and twice led the league in fumbles by a QB. People talk about turnovers that Prescott has, Dalton is much worse.

Dak and Dalton will get to the same place at the end of the day because they are about the same as players.

Dak is a little better but he’s also played in far more optimal circumstances than Dalton has.

Im not sure Dak would still be in the league had he started his career in Cincy.

CWR

Reaction score
just had to look up the ages and they are the same age, have had a similar career path ie numbers are very close etc

knowing that Tannehill was all but labeled a JAG, close to bust, never going to be a winner or star and yet the Tians go insert him change the game plan to more run oriented smart football with great defense and hes all of a sudden resurrected his career..

Why Not Dalton, i know maybe not here but if somehow it happened where he plays above average here and we somehow salvage this season and big maybe on Daks status and future given the injury and contract up in the air,

he has a few good years left and could bridge the Cowboys to the next young QB, maybe Nooch..who knows..

just watching RT go to a afccg after his first stop was a failure and now has his team 4-0 , why not Dalton?

its not that big of stretch and i know the entire volume of responses is we dont have that kind of defense, not yet is the answer.. lets just focus on our offense because thats all he can control..

wonder what MM is truly thinking these if AD has a very high grade to end this season..

lots of options are at our disposal because you tag Dak with Non franchise and take offers on trade if AD is deemed good enough to lead for few years while preparing the next guy..

If you dont get the offers you like and Dak and his agent finally see hes not getting better offers maybe deal is struck and this becomes MOOT..

just spit balling over coffee.

Wow, I had no idea they were the same age. I always thought Dalton was a few years older. Nice post.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Dak and Dalton will get to the same place at the end of the day because they are about the same as players.

Dak is a little better but he’s also played in far more optimal circumstances than Dalton has.

Im not sure Dak would still be in the league had he started his career in Cincy.

The only thing I can say to that is what a load of crock.

Zman5

Reaction score
We are dead last in points per game given up (36pts) and 28th in pts per drive (2.82) and we are 29th in 3rd down conversion at (47.9%) and teams have converted 4th down 100%.

You basically have to play close to perfect mistake free offense and ST to win games with defense that is that bad. Not many QBs can play close to perfect or mistake free every game.