If the Cowboys Trade Out of the First...

USMarineVet

Reaction score
Before you all go crazy, hear me out...

At 27 our 1st round pick is for all intents and purposes a high 2nd rounder. Would you all be willing to trade it for a 2016 1st rounder and additional 3rd rounder this year? Now I know it's always a team's intention to win NOW, but consider this...

As most of you know, a high draft pick rarely is a major contributing factor the first year he plays in the NFL. And I understand and agree that both Romo and Witten are in the winters of their careers. I get that.. I want them to get a ring as badly as you do. But this team is bursting with youthful talent now and sooner rather than later someone other than Romo is going to have to lead this team. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not on board with that guy being either Weeden or Vaughn.

If things stand as they are the Cowboys 2016 Draft picks will look something like this: 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7. (This is considering that losing Murray merits a 3 and not a 4 and the slight possibility that the compensatory 4 becomes a 5) Adding another 1st rounder in the 2016 draft would put us in a position to draft Tony's replacement. We would have the flexibility to draft pretty much anywhere we choose by parlaying our non-compensatory picks with those 2 first rounders.

I know. I know... Crazy talk. But I've always felt that if you want a franchise QB you need to be in position to grab who you believe is the best one on the board. Romo was a fluke. When was the last time an undrafted free agent QB ever did what Romo has done? Never! And don't think for a second that I'm trying to close Tony's window faster than it needs to be closed. I strongly feel he has 4, maybe 5 very good seasons left in him, barring injury. I would just like to see us mentor our next starting QB in the same mold that Romo was mentored in our system. And be able to suck in 4 or 5 years of knowledge from Tony before he takes the reigns.

I just see a move like this setting us up for the next decade rather than making that hard push to win a SB this year. And as I said before, whomever we would use that 1st rounder on this year would be a contributor, but unlikely to be a major factor. I see this team being built in a way where we're going to be picking from the low end of the draft for quite some team. You really have to suck to be in a position to get that franchise QB without wheeling and dealing and I don't see us sucking. Not for a long while. Not with this team finally wising up and understanding how you build a long-term winning team...

So again, my question... as excited you all are about this team now... would you be willing to make that 1 year sacrifice now, in order to solidify ourselves with our next franchise QB of the future? It's going to have to happen sooner or later.

Would you give up this year's 1st for a 1st next year and an additional 3rd this year?

I think it's a fair question, hypothetical as it may be. But it's a very real possibility and gives room for thought.

COWBOYSNUM1

Reaction score
Would you give up this year's 1st for a 1st next year and an additional 3rd this year?

No.

I would expect a mid-to-high 2nd in this year's draft and a 2016 1st.

We are losing horribly in your suggested trade.
No way we drop all the way to the 3rd for a 1st next year.

The Natural

Reaction score
Trade our first rounder and then we dont pick until the high 3rd round (by your logic), thats not a good idea.

Craig

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but when I read 2 and a half paragraphs and everything I had read was a qualifier to whatever point you were getting at, I stopped reading.

Eskimo

Reaction score
The problem would be making the trade with a team who we think has a decent chance of picking in the top 10 or so and yet deluded enough to believe the moves they have made this offseason will propel them into the playoff race.

The problem is the way the league is set up many bottom dwellers can dramatically improve their records the next year because they are playing soft schedules. I think the opportunity lies in teams that were mediocre but who played a really soft schedule the year before and now will have to face a more difficult schedule and may experience some regression for a variety of factors.

I think if such a golden opportunity arose I would be okay with making that gamble as it would be quite unlikely that one draft pick next year would be the difference between us being contenders and pretenders. I think I would probably not do it if an impact defender who will be a first year starter was unexpectedly still available. I would also possibly consider an impact WR who should make a quick transition to the NFL. I would still make the trade if one of the top RBs was on the board as I think you could find a good one in the second round and even the third round this year.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Before you all go crazits likely, hear me out...

At 27 our 1st round pick is for all intents and purposes a high 2nd rounder. Would you all be willing to trade it for a 2016 1st rounder and additional 3rd rounder this year? Now I know it's always a team's intention to win NOW, but consider this...

As most of you know, a high draft pick rarely is a major contributing factor the first year he plays in the NFL. And I understand and agree that both Romo and Witten are in the winters of their careers. I get that.. I want them to get a ring as badly as you do. But this team is bursting with youthful talent now and sooner rather than later someone other than Romo is going to have to lead this team. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not on board with that guy being either Weeden or Vaughn.

If things stand as they are the Cowboys 2016 Draft picks will look something like this: 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7. (This is considering that losing Murray merits a 3 and not a 4 and the slight possibility that the compensatory 4 becomes a 5) Adding another 1st rounder in the 2016 draft would put us in a position to draft Tony's replacement. We would have the flexibility to draft pretty much anywhere we choose by parlaying our non-compensatory picks with those 2 first rounders.

I know. I know... Crazy talk. But I've always felt that if you want a franchise QB you need to be in position to grab who you believe is the best one on the board. Romo was a fluke. When was the last time an undrafted free agent QB ever did what Romo has done? Never! And don't think for a second that I'm trying to close Tony's window faster than it needs to be closed. I strongly feel he has 4, maybe 5 very good seasons left in him, barring injury. I would just like to see us mentor our next starting QB in the same mold that Romo was mentored in our system. And be able to suck in 4 or 5 years of knowledge from Tony before he takes the reigns.

I just see a move like this setting us up for the next decade rather than making that hard push to win a SB this year. And as I said before, whomever we would use that 1st rounder on this year would be a contributor, but unlikely to be a major factor. I see this team being built in a way where we're going to be picking from the low end of the draft for quite some team. You really have to suck to be in a position to get that franchise QB without wheeling and dealing and I don't see us sucking. Not for a long while. Not with this team finally wising up and understanding how you build a long-term winning team...

So again, my question... as excited you all are about this team now... would you be willing to make that 1 year sacrifice now, in order to solidify ourselves with our next franchise QB of the future? It's going to have to happen sooner or later.

I think it's a fair question, hypothetical as it may be. But it's a very real possibility and gives room for thought.

I rather keep the pick, unless a team like the jaguars comes calling and it may be worth it if its a top 5 pick. I doubt Jerry makes a move though because he likes the idea of getting that 5th year option. If there isnt value though it may make sense to move a few spots down into the 2nd if there is still a host of players on our board. This is a win now team that definitely has holes to fill so the more quality picks we have in this draft the better.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, I would. Because a 1st and 3rd always beats a 1st when you're sitting at 27. No matter what year. The fixation on now wouldn't prevent me from essentially acquiring a free 3rd round pick. And with this year's 1 being at 27, I stand a very good chance of upgrading that pick next year.

USMarineVet

Reaction score

No.

I would expect a mid-to-high 2nd in this year's draft and a 2016 1st.

We are losing horribly in your suggested trade.

Not necessarily. You would have to think that the odds of the 1st rounder we would receive will be higher than 27. I'm glad you mentioned that. I should have added in that I would have only made this deal if I was less than fascinated with the prospects left on the board this year at 27 and also that my trade partner was someone I saw having a mediocre at best season.

USMarineVet

Reaction score
Why is pick 27 "for all intents and purposes a high 2nd rounder"? Why is not, I dunno, a low 1st rounder?

I said that because usually whoever's left at the bottom of the first round have a 2nd round grade by a lot of teams. Not always, but it happens often.

USMarineVet

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but when I read 2 and a half paragraphs and everything I had read was a qualifier to whatever point you were getting at, I stopped reading.

Well thanks for commenting on half the post you read. :)

The Natural

Reaction score
That's not what I said. We would still have a 2nd and two 3rds this year

Well if our pre-existing first round pick is just a high second rounder to you, how is our pre-existing second round pick not a high third by that same logic?

USMarineVet

Reaction score
Yes, I would. Because a 1st and 3rd always beats a 1st when you're sitting at 27. No matter what year. The fixation on now wouldn't prevent me from essentially acquiring a free 3rd round pick. And with this year's 1 being at 27, I stand a very good chance of upgrading that pick next year.

Excellent interpretation RS... I knew I liked you for a reason. :)

DBOY3141

Reaction score
If the trade is with TB, TEN, JAX, OAK,CLE,WAS I do it because there is a good chance that's a top 5 pick. With that I can target Connor Cook QB MICH ST. A second and two thirds this year still gets me 3 top 100 players in this years draft.