If the draft were today....

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Where and when on the picks. I think we have lots of needs. Safety, OL, DL, WR. I know some will say we need to improve the OL, but I want a top notch receiver to go along w/ what we have. We have one of the best QBs in the game. Wouldn't you love another weapon at his disposal? I know you need time to get them the ball, but I like the defense for the most part. I want Offense!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tell me who we lose and who we sign in free agency and I'll tell you where I think we should draft.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
dmq;3170924 said:
Where and when on the picks. I think we have lots of needs. Safety, OL, DL, WR. I know some will say we need to improve the OL, but I want a top notch receiver to go along w/ what we have. We have one of the best QBs in the game. Wouldn't you love another weapon at his disposal? I know you need time to get them the ball, but I like the defense for the most part. I want Offense!

Draft needs in order:

1. TE
2. RB
3. QB
4. P

dmq

Reaction score
I would think we can resign Austin and Spears. Spears would be the lesser of the two priorities.

Eskimo

Reaction score
dmq;3170934 said:
I would think we can resign Austin and Spears. Spears would be the lesser of the two priorities.

Spears and Austin will be RFAs so we should be able to re-sign them.

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
I think that a team just needs to follow their draft board and take the player that best fits the draft slot.

Craig

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
because of most likely a non contract agreement with the nfl and owners, we should be able to sign the players we need to keep. Saying that, we need;

OT, or huge dominanting OG like steve hutchinson (doug free can only get better, but we need a young stud like a larry allen or erik williams too, with columbo being 31 next year and flozell 35)
S (FS to replace Ken Hamlin with speed)
WR (the wr needs blazing speed like 4.32 in 40 & a superb punt-kickoff returner)
FB, (anderson keeps getting hurt & their are 2 super fullbacks this year that will probably go in the 4th to 7rd this year)
CB
C (a young backup center to eventually take over for gurode who is 30) I dont like proctor

hammer1

Reaction score
Jerry's not going to draft a top notch WR. He's in love with with the guys we have now...especially since Austin has arrived. Besides I doubt we could find anyone faster than Ogletree...I think he ran a sub 4.4 at the combine.

Hammer

dmq

Reaction score
I was thinking blazing speed at WR. We simply don't have it right now. It left town w/ Terry Glenn.

johnnyd

Reaction score
DL i don't think we resign spears but even if we do i still want another lineman for depth. Then OL best available

I'd like a fast WR also (like a mike wallace type and yeah we should have just taken him last year ) but not in the first round . besides after we pay austin i can't see us having 3 high priced wr's on this team . plus i'd like to see if we could develop ogletree and a top pick with his money commitment could hurt that. But defitnatley if the right guy is there 3rd round or lower

can never have enough corners. plus newman getting older even though he's having a really good year IMO. and has scandrick regressed some? probably not a fair question because i just think jenkins has been playing so good i may be picking on him for no reason other than he's not jenkins ya know?either way having the competition is good.

Want more speed at LB especially inside lb . unless williams is ready to step in but not likely being red shirted this year.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
dmq;3170960 said:
I was thinking blazing speed at WR. We simply don't have it right now. It left town w/ Terry Glenn.

we got a Terry Glenn look alike

Ogletree

and would not call Austin slow either

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
chip_gilkey;3170974 said:

LOL all for fun..seriously though:

1. OL
2. S
3. DL
4. ILB
5. WR
6. K :eek:

Draft a CB every year also.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
dmq;3170924 said:

i'll never for the life of me understand why people want to move on to the next step before we finish this one.

take the last draft for example...do you wanna see how they did or are you just into the draft and the regular season is just in the way?

Eskimo

Reaction score
TheSport78;3170977 said:
LOL all for fun..seriously though:

1. OL
2. S
3. DL
4. ILB
5. WR
6. K :eek:

I would put ILB at #1. James and Brookings are both slow as molasses and Brookings is just plain old. We need fresh blood there and we need to get alot more athletic in a hurry to counter all the good receiving TEs and RBs that are flooding the league. Drafting Jason Williams was a step in the right direction but he is raw and probably won't be ready for a starting job next year, although he should be manning one of the spots in the nickel. We need a premium player at one of the ILB spots and should pick one if one drops to us. At the very least, we need to go ILB at one of our top two picks.

eightysiX

Reaction score
i just think regardless if we win or lose were gonna be changing players around. Superbowl or not we participate in the draft. Its also interesting to see what people think we need and how their opinions change right up untill the day of the draft.
So why not we all want to see the cowboys get better, no teams perfect.
In responce to the mod:
OL
DL
S/ILB (depending on how hamlin/williams pan out)
than maybe a nice PR/KR or CB in the later rounds.

EDIT: switch DL and S/ILB

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
IMO, here's what we need to look at:

Center - seriously need a backup for Gurode
OT - just in case Brewster doesn't pan out and Colombo struggles coming back
ILB - Need to find somebody to take over Bradie's spot, but with a bit more athleticism and better in coverage.
WR - Need to cut Hurd and probably Crayton. Move Ogletreee up the depth chart
DE - Spears may want $$$ he's not worth. Need to move Bowen to starter anyway and find somebody to take his spot. Also, Hatcher may not be around too much longer.
S - Need a playmaker with lots of range and a guy that makes turnovers happen.
K - Who knows how this will turn out.

YAKUZA

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
TheSport78;3170977 said:

This.

I probably do this in every football simulation game I play. I think I carry at least 6 CBs every year. :laugh2:

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;3171032 said:
WR - Need to cut Hurd and probably Crayton.

Don't agree with this at all. Lately it seems that Hurd and Crayton always make plays in the limited number of times they're targeted.

Everything else though I agree with.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
guag;3171042 said:
Lately it seems that Hurd and Crayton always make plays in the limited number of times they're targeted.

I think Hurd does not get resigned - we draft a PR KR an WR

Emmanuel Sanders, SMU
Height: 6-1. Weight: 176.
Projected 40 Time: 4.40.
Projected Round (2010): 7-FA