If the NFL doesn't want the Cowboys to be successful, why not?

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Thread for all who think the NFL and its officiating is prejudiced against the Cowboys (or not):

Why do you think the NFL wouldn't want Dallas to succeed? The Cowboys have the biggest fan base, generate the most revenue and draw the highest ratings. Wouldn't Dallas going deep in the playoffs (and a Super Bowl appearance every few years) be exactly what the league would want? It would fatten the league's pockets.

If the NFL is prejudiced, then this is claiming that the league is prejudiced against its own interests.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
Because the NFL can have their cake and eat it too when it comes to Dallas.

The NFL can clown on the cowboys every season and the result is still the same. Most valuable sports franchise in the world and major cash cow for the league. It doesn’t change.

Nothing will change until this front office starts growing a spine and fighting back.

plymkr

Reaction score
In 1995 Jerry usurped the league's authority by striking a deal with Nike and Pepsi to sponsor Texas Stadium. He was ahead if his time but the other owners and Paul Taglibue were upset that it gave the Cowboys an unfair advantage over small market teams and other big market teams that didn't own their own stadium. Ever since then Jerry has been on the outs with league big shots and it only got worse when he sparred with Goodell. Also the league knows it's good television if the Cowboys win or lose and it's great television if the wins and losses are dramatic.

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
The Cowboys for the last 20 years have been perfect for the NFL. Just good enough to keep advertisers happy but never a serious contender to win the whole thing…which would annoy most of the owners. The other member said it best in that the league can have its cake and eat it too. I do think Dak gets us a superbowl before he retires.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Having the Cowboys stuck in the middle with league parity makes the other teams happy.

They have everything they can to avoid the mess fo MLB and the Yankees buying a championship.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I do think Dak gets us a superbowl before he retires.

But you're saying he'll have to do it for another team because the Goodell-Mara Syndicate is just too strong aiming their ray guns at the Cowboys? I agree. Now if you'll just point the top of your tinfoil hat in the ENE direction, you should be able to hear them hatching out their plots for the Atlanta game. I hear the code name for the refs is zebras.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Yep. Cowboys gonna make the league more money then any team just by playing on weekends. Fans are gonna watch the playoffs. Sure Cowboys would boost ratings but at that point...17 weeks of pure profit from the Cowboys..they don't need it anymore. Playoff football will handle the rest.

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
But you're saying he'll have to do it for another team because the Goodell-Mara Syndicate is just too strong aiming their ray guns at the Cowboys? I agree. Now if you'll just point the top of your tinfoil hat in the ENE direction, you should be able to hear them hatching out their plots for the Atlanta game. I hear the code name for the refs is zebras.
Watch the Bears game tonight? I felt sorry for them. The refs called the game very strongly in the Steelers favor. So I agree with you that the league prefers to see some teams win and we (and apparently the bears) aren’t one of them.

Shane612

Reaction score
Because Cowboys have always had a goody-two-shoes reputation. Tom Landry was a devote Christian, and people equated that to the Cowboys being "God's Team". Hence the saying, " The hole on the roof of Texas Stadium was put there so God can watch his team".
People are just sick of the clean sparkling silver and blue....and always seeing them on tv.
All this rubbed some people the wrong way.

gmb1

Reaction score
Thread for all who think the NFL and its officiating is prejudiced against the Cowboys (or not):

Why do you think the NFL wouldn't want Dallas to succeed? The Cowboys have the biggest fan base, generate the most revenue and draw the highest ratings. Wouldn't Dallas going deep in the playoffs (and a Super Bowl appearance every few years) be exactly what the league would want? It would fatten the league's pockets.

If the NFL is prejudiced, then this is claiming that the league is prejudiced against its own interests.
Because the big ratings and big money are happening without a Superbowl appearance. Someone may have already said this but oh well. :)

T-RO

Reaction score
I am definitely not a fan that thinks the league or refs are going to come after Dallas every game, or even most games. Sometimes we get more calls than we should (see Chargers, Panther gamers as examples)

The league has a lot of different agendas: viewership/tv ratings, certain loyalties and favorites, rewards, and more than ever, maxing out its gambling revenues.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Never count out jealousy when it comes to rich men with big egos. Not saying I think there's clearly prejudice against the Cowboys, but you have to question some of the calls that have been made against them late in games. I don't know the reason for those calls, and I know that other teams get bad calls, but some also seem to benefit from them far more than our team does.

So no, I don't think officiating is purposely prejudiced against us. I'm just saying that Jones has ticked off the other owners in the past (see the Pepsi deal) and he owns the most high-profile and biggest-drawing team in the league. That can certainly cause other owners to resent him and inadvertently poison the well.