If the NFL doesn't want the Cowboys to be successful, why not?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thread for all who think the NFL and its officiating is prejudiced against the Cowboys (or not):

Why do you think the NFL wouldn't want Dallas to succeed? The Cowboys have the biggest fan base, generate the most revenue and draw the highest ratings. Wouldn't Dallas going deep in the playoffs (and a Super Bowl appearance every few years) be exactly what the league would want? It would fatten the league's pockets.

If the NFL is prejudiced, then this is claiming that the league is prejudiced against its own interests.

Yes, which is why you shouldn't pay any attention to it. See it for what it is. Fan nonsense.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Thread for all who think the NFL and its officiating is prejudiced against the Cowboys (or not):

Why do you think the NFL wouldn't want Dallas to succeed? The Cowboys have the biggest fan base, generate the most revenue and draw the highest ratings. Wouldn't Dallas going deep in the playoffs (and a Super Bowl appearance every few years) be exactly what the league would want? It would fatten the league's pockets.

If the NFL is prejudiced, then this is claiming that the league is prejudiced against its own interests.
The Mara family don't want Dallas to succeed. And we all know the Mara family controls Goodell.

ultron

Reaction score
In 1995 Jerry usurped the league's authority by striking a deal with Nike and Pepsi to sponsor Texas Stadium. He was ahead if his time but the other owners and Paul Taglibue were upset that it gave the Cowboys an unfair advantage over small market teams and other big market teams that didn't own their own stadium. Ever since then Jerry has been on the outs with league big shots and it only got worse when he sparred with Goodell. Also the league knows it's good television if the Cowboys win or lose and it's great television if the wins and losses are dramatic.

The other thing that not a lot of people know about is the lawsuit that Jerry WON vs the NFL - they actually settled, but it was a massive win for Jerry because it allowed him to create merchandise apart from the NFL’s licensing agreements. This is huge because the NFL is losing out on tens [if not hundreds] of millions of dollars by not being able to capitalize financially on a lot of Cowboys merchandise. We haven’t won a Super Bowl (or even got close) since.

Coincidence?

Who knows… but we are definitely not in the good graces of the NFL and there are a lot of ‘mysterious’ calls that have taken place in the last 2 1/2 decades. That merchandise and stadium lawsuit is a big reason why the Cowboys are worth more than any other team in sports.

Here’s an article if you guys want to read about it:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciajessop/2013/11/29/jerry-jones-1995-risk-allows-the-dallas-cowboys-to-become-leaders-in-the-growing-womens-sports-apparel-market/amp/

plymkr

Reaction score
The other thing that not a lot of people know about is the lawsuit that Jerry WON vs the NFL - they actually settled, but it was a massive win for Jerry because it allowed him to create merchandise apart from the NFL’s licensing agreements. This is huge because the NFL is losing out on tens [if not hundreds] of millions of dollars by not being able to capitalize financially on a lot of Cowboys merchandise. We haven’t won a Super Bowl (or even got close) since.

Coincidence?

Who knows… but we are definitely not in the good graces of the NFL and there are a lot of ‘mysterious’ calls that have taken place in the last 2 1/2 decades. That merchandise and stadium lawsuit is a big reason why the Cowboys are worth more than any other team in sports.

Here’s an article if you guys want to read about it:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciajessop/2013/11/29/jerry-jones-1995-risk-allows-the-dallas-cowboys-to-become-leaders-in-the-growing-womens-sports-apparel-market/amp/
Nice, good research. This is what I was referring to. We won in 95 when all this went down and a lot of owners and Paul Taglibue was pretty salty about it.

I'll take this to my grave and I don't care if people think I'm a conspiracy theorist but if this didn't happen in '95 and Jerry didn't beat the league in court, in 2014 Dez makes that catch and we win. In 2016 the calls against us in that Green Bay game aren't so bizarre. I remember in 2016 we were playing well until a string of weird calls happened. One call against our receiver for being in the huddle or something like that wasn't called for 13 years before that game.

I wish the league wouldn't punish the fan base for Jerry's maverick behavior in 95. I wish they would have punished him by keeping him out of the HOF or something, but Romo, Dez, Ware, etc had nothing do with Jerry's rebellion. I don't believe in the "Jimmy Johnson curse" I believe in the 95 SB season curse and the league got ticked off at Jerry and stuck it to us ever since.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

NFL wants a winner in Dallas for obvious reasons.
Ratings are the lifeblood income-wise for the NFL and the Cowboys are leading the charge here.
The refs are helping to push the Star to victory pretty much all season long we have all seen these examples from calling back TD to fantom fumbles that bounce our way.
Are the TV contracts up for renewal?

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Because the NFL can have their cake and eat it too when it comes to Dallas.

The NFL can clown on the cowboys every season and the result is still the same. Most valuable sports franchise in the world and major cash cow for the league. It doesn’t change.

Nothing will change until this front office starts growing a spine and fighting back.

This argument doesn't make sense.

Look at the other marquee teams in other sports. Premier League officiating favors Manchester United. NBA officiating once heavily favored the Lakers. MLB officiating has never stepped in to purposefully stop the Yankees from winning a World Series. Alabama doesn't get screwed by NCAAF refs often at all.

No other sports league has the logic of "XYZ is our most popular marquee team, therefore we must SUPPRESS them." If anything, they unfairly favor them. The argument doesn't make sense.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Yep. Cowboys gonna make the league more money then any team just by playing on weekends. Fans are gonna watch the playoffs. Sure Cowboys would boost ratings but at that point...17 weeks of pure profit from the Cowboys..they don't need it anymore. Playoff football will handle the rest.

This doesn't make sense. Playoff ratings would only be HIGHER with Dallas in the mix than without. Why would the league settle for, say, an NFC championship game with the small-market Cardinals in it when the Cowboys could bring in 20 million more viewers for the SAME game than the Cards?

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Nice, good research. This is what I was referring to. We won in 95 when all this went down and a lot of owners and Paul Taglibue was pretty salty about it.

I'll take this to my grave and I don't care if people think I'm a conspiracy theorist but if this didn't happen in '95 and Jerry didn't beat the league in court, in 2014 Dez makes that catch and we win. In 2016 the calls against us in that Green Bay game aren't so bizarre. I remember in 2016 we were playing well until a string of weird calls happened. One call against our receiver for being in the huddle or something like that wasn't called for 13 years before that game.

I wish the league wouldn't punish the fan base for Jerry's maverick behavior in 95. I wish they would have punished him by keeping him out of the HOF or something, but Romo, Dez, Ware, etc had nothing do with Jerry's rebellion. I don't believe in the "Jimmy Johnson curse" I believe in the 95 SB season curse and the league got ticked off at Jerry and stuck it to us ever since.

So when the referee was in the booth reviewing the Dez catch at Lambeau, he was thinking to himself, "I need to overturn this because Jerry Jones began selling Cowboys merchandise separately from the league's system 19 years ago??"

plymkr

Reaction score
So when the referee was in the booth reviewing the Dez catch at Lambeau, he was thinking to himself, "I need to overturn this because Jerry Jones began selling Cowboys merchandise separately from the league's system 19 years ago??"
Yes, maybe not that exact thing but a mandate from Goodell to the refs to do anything in their power to help the Cowboys lose.

Before you judge me I'd take some time and research the foundation of the NFL. The NFL is structured in the same way that WWE and WWF is structured. It's an entertainment entity and not a sports entity. I believe the NFL is structured differently than all the other major sports. There's nothing in the NFL that guarantees fair play. It's an entertainment industry that uses a sport to push the product, exactly like pro wrestling. So there is nothing "illegal" about fixing games if they NFL decides to do so.

Haven't you ever wondered about Spygate and the politicians getting involved to investigate and then it all went quiet. The FBI and any governing body can not step in if the NFL does something sketchy. The NFL can push storylines and drama and use the players and the sport as the actors, ala pro wrestling.

So to answer your original question, yes, it's possible the NFL told the refs to screw the Cowboys on the Dez non catch and yes someone in New York could have told the refs to over rule it. And if they did it's perfectly legal under the NFL charter.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Because the NFL can have their cake and eat it too when it comes to Dallas.

The NFL can clown on the cowboys every season and the result is still the same. Most valuable sports franchise in the world and major cash cow for the league. It doesn’t change.

Nothing will change until this front office starts growing a spine and fighting back.
The actual correct saying is "eat your cake and have it too"
which makes more sense. Somehow over the years it got flopped.

See you can have your cake and eat it too, just dont eat all of it lol
But if you eat your cake meaning all of it , you no longer have it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I dont think there is any bias against the cowboys specifically, it is about the money on games, and who they might want in the SB for varied money reasons.
Refs change game against teams other than the cowboys, it is just cowboy fans dont watch those games, they focus on cowboy games.
Games are manipulated for certain results , for various reasons, the biggest being money bet on games.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The "NFL" is Goodell. Doesn't take a rocket scientist!

plymkr

Reaction score
I have sources that I'm looking for. I'm specifically looking for a couple of articles written by non sports people that address what I was talking about. It has something to do with the anti-trust exemption that the NFL gets. They had to organize the league as an entertainment entity. I'm tired right now so I'll look for it tomorrow, I got to go to work in a couple hours. Why are video games so much fun to play at night. Tomorrow I'll see if I can dig up some sources and post links. I got to get to bed.

plymkr

Reaction score
Hey one more quick thing. I did not feel you were judging me. The way I worded that may have been misleading. That's how I talk so if me and you were playing pool or at the bar talking about this and having a friendly conversation, I would have answered with "before you judge me....". So I was not projecting any intent or feeling like you were judging me at all. I went back and reread that and I could see how I could have came across a little chippy but I was in friendly conversation mode.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score

2 things sealed it for me

The Dez catch against the Packers - (which was so bad and there is no way the league could operate like that in the future, so they had to CHANGE the rule AFTER they screwed the Cowboys). The thing that will always bother me is that it was called a catch on the field...and then overturned. They at least would have covered themselves if it had NOT been called a catch on the field. Dez was NEVER the same after this!!!

The other thing was against the Packers as well (and yes...that is a recurring theme. The league does like its Packers, Steelers, Patriots and Giants)....but I digress. But anyway, I believe it was 2016 playoffs...we were 13 - 3. Had homefield advantage throughout...and a rookie Dak and Zeke were young, spry, and playing fearless football. I believe we got knocked back on our heels early that game...but then we got up off the mat...and started to ball and momentum had started to shift and we had found our rhythm. I believe we had just converted a big 3rd down that put us in the redzone....and the ref said Terrance Williams had entered the huddle...left the huddle and then reentered it. I believe the broadcast team said it had NEVER been called or had not been called in like 20 years. And when you watch the replay....HE DID NOT EVEN DO WHAT THEY SAID HE DID. It was clearly something the refs came into the game looking to use at the "RIGHT" moment!!!!!!!!! Please somebody have a replay of this one. All I know is I kept saying "You can't make this stuff up"!!!! Could the NFL be a little more discreet? I mean, don't be so obvious about the outcome you want!!!

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Keeping America's team in the middle of the pack is the perfect comeback to anyone who says Goodell is a no good cheat .

"im unbiased, just look at the cowboys . they are America's team and haven't achieved anything in 20 years. " - trashell

Last edited:

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I am definitely not a fan that thinks the league or refs are going to come after Dallas every game, or even most games. Sometimes we get more calls than we should (see Chargers, Panther gamers as examples)

The league has a lot of different agendas: viewership/tv ratings, certain loyalties and favorites, rewards, and more than ever, maxing out its gambling revenues.

What were the calls that went for us in those two games?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
2 things sealed it for me

The Dez catch against the Packers - (which was so bad and there is no way the league could operate like that in the future, so they had to CHANGE the rule AFTER they screwed the Cowboys). The thing that will always bother me is that it was called a catch on the field...and then overturned. They at least would have covered themselves if it had NOT been called a catch on the field. Dez was NEVER the same after this!!!

The other thing was against the Packers as well (and yes...that is a recurring theme. The league does like its Packers, Steelers, Patriots and Giants)....but I digress. But anyway, I believe it was 2016 playoffs...we were 13 - 3. Had homefield advantage throughout...and a rookie Dak and Zeke were young, spry, and playing fearless football. I believe we got knocked back on our heels early that game...but then we got up off the mat...and started to ball and momentum had started to shift and we had found our rhythm. I believe we had just converted a big 3rd down that put us in the redzone....and the ref said Terrance Williams had entered the huddle...left the huddle and then reentered it. I believe the broadcast team said it had NEVER been called or had not been called in like 20 years. And when you watch the replay....HE DID NOT EVEN DO WHAT THEY SAID HE DID. It was clearly something the refs came into the game looking to use at the "RIGHT" moment!!!!!!!!! Please somebody have a replay of this one. All I know is I kept saying "You can't make this stuff up"!!!! Could the NFL be a little more discreet? I mean, don't be so obvious about the outcome you want!!!

I remember that. Such a phantom call. It seemed that it was a made up call just to make sure we didn't win.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
there is a good reason 'trashell' gets booed on every draft -

giphy.gif

Cmac

Reaction score
It's really simple conspiracy theorist.......performance on the field, performance by the staff overrides any other reasons to search for excuses.