If the NFL doesn't want the Cowboys to be successful, why not?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The other thing that not a lot of people know about is the lawsuit that Jerry WON vs the NFL - they actually settled, but it was a massive win for Jerry because it allowed him to create merchandise apart from the NFL’s licensing agreements. This is huge because the NFL is losing out on tens [if not hundreds] of millions of dollars by not being able to capitalize financially on a lot of Cowboys merchandise. We haven’t won a Super Bowl (or even got close) since.

Coincidence?

Who knows… but we are definitely not in the good graces of the NFL and there are a lot of ‘mysterious’ calls that have taken place in the last 2 1/2 decades. That merchandise and stadium lawsuit is a big reason why the Cowboys are worth more than any other team in sports.

Here’s an article if you guys want to read about it:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciajessop/2013/11/29/jerry-jones-1995-risk-allows-the-dallas-cowboys-to-become-leaders-in-the-growing-womens-sports-apparel-market/amp/

One thing Jerry should be doing is making arrangements for player endorsements as part of playing for the Cowboys. Some of the top players in the NFL could make an extra 10 to 20 million more on top of their contract salary just for playing in Dallas.

This would circumvent the salary cap and make Dallas the most sought after destination for the best free agents that money can buy.

If Goddell and his ilk wants to screw Dallas using the refs, we can really mess up the parity in the NFL by Jerry being able to negotiate endorsements for his players.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I'll take this to my grave and I don't care if people think I'm a conspiracy theorist but if this didn't happen in '95 and Jerry didn't beat the league in court, in 2014 Dez makes that catch and we win. In 2016 the calls against us in that Green Bay game aren't so bizarre. I remember in 2016 we were playing well until a string of weird calls happened. One call against our receiver for being in the huddle or something like that wasn't called for 13 years before that game.
2 things sealed it for me

The Dez catch against the Packers - (which was so bad and there is no way the league could operate like that in the future, so they had to CHANGE the rule AFTER they screwed the Cowboys). The thing that will always bother me is that it was called a catch on the field...and then overturned. They at least would have covered themselves if it had NOT been called a catch on the field. Dez was NEVER the same after this!!!

The other thing was against the Packers as well (and yes...that is a recurring theme. The league does like its Packers, Steelers, Patriots and Giants)....but I digress. But anyway, I believe it was 2016 playoffs...we were 13 - 3. Had homefield advantage throughout...and a rookie Dak and Zeke were young, spry, and playing fearless football. I believe we got knocked back on our heels early that game...but then we got up off the mat...and started to ball and momentum had started to shift and we had found our rhythm. I believe we had just converted a big 3rd down that put us in the redzone....and the ref said Terrance Williams had entered the huddle...left the huddle and then reentered it. I believe the broadcast team said it had NEVER been called or had not been called in like 20 years. And when you watch the replay....HE DID NOT EVEN DO WHAT THEY SAID HE DID. It was clearly something the refs came into the game looking to use at the "RIGHT" moment!!!!!!!!! Please somebody have a replay of this one. All I know is I kept saying "You can't make this stuff up"!!!! Could the NFL be a little more discreet? I mean, don't be so obvious about the outcome you want!!!

See, this is where fans expose themselves for not knowing the rules.

On the Dez play, your average football fan didn't know that once a player goes to the ground those rules take over from the "upright" rules and you have to maintain possession of the ball through the ground. No matter if you took 3 steps. No matter if you held the ball out. No matter if you waved to your mama on the way down. The ONLY thing that gets a receiver out of "going to the ground" is if he executes a proper lunge because that shows you aren't going to the ground if you're able to change your trajectory and that is what qualifies as a football move. All Dez had to do was keep the ball off the ground and that's a catch even with the bobble. The official on the field was blocked from seeing that which is why the reverse angle is the one that overturned the call.

As for Butler in 2016, the officials announced the call wrong about a huddle. Butler's foul was running into the game to sub and then not participating in a play. In the video below, you even see the ref signal to the Line Judge after Butler runs out. Even still, the Cowboys coaches could have called time out to reset and not have the foul apply. They didn't. They didn't know the rules in sending him out there and then didn't use the escape hatch by calling timeout.

So, who got to Crayton to tell him to slow down in 2007 and not catch a sure TD that would have beaten the Giants? The Syndicate has massive reach I'm learning. Lol.

Butler-Huddle.gif

RonnieT24

Reaction score
If you have not seen the league screwing the Cowboys by now you're not going to. By the way, the Cowboys are not the only team they screw.. They have also consistently screwed the other team whose owner took the league to court and won the way Jerry did.. Namely... the Raiders.. "tuck rule" my ***..

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Goodell and Jerry have a terrible relationship and it’s been demonstrated that Goodell is a vindictive piece of crap. He was given far too much power by the owners and he really only represents/supports half of them.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
So when the referee was in the booth reviewing the Dez catch at Lambeau, he was thinking to himself, "I need to overturn this because Jerry Jones began selling Cowboys merchandise separately from the league's system 19 years ago??"

And remember that McCarthy from Green Bay had to challenge that play. They were just going to let it stand as called without review.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Two types of REF BIAS in all sports:

1) Superstar bias. You saw it in the Pats game. When you win a million Super Bowls, you get the benefit of the doubt. Why did Jordan never get called for just about anything? Even our 90's Boys, when we were starting to fall apart, for example the OLine and were probably more dirty than talented with guys like BigE, got the benefit of the doubt until the L seasons started coming.

2) Business bias. Do I think any commish is calling the refs in behind closed doors and telling them exactly how to conspire? No. But do I think there's an "understanding" that you better support this or that if you want to remain on favorable terms? Absolutely! Just like any job. League lines out its direction at the beginning of the year and refs go with it.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If there is any kind of conspiracy against Dallas it is at the owner's level. Look at Al Davis as an example. I don't think it translates all the way down to calls on the field or wins and losses, though.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
See, this is where fans expose themselves for not knowing the rules.

On the Dez play, your average football fan didn't know that once a player goes to the ground those rules take over from the "upright" rules and you have to maintain possession of the ball through the ground. No matter if you took 3 steps. No matter if you held the ball out. No matter if you waved to your mama on the way down. The ONLY thing that gets a receiver out of "going to the ground" is if he executes a proper lunge because that shows you aren't going to the ground if you're able to change your trajectory and that is what qualifies as a football move. All Dez had to do was keep the ball off the ground and that's a catch even with the bobble. The official on the field was blocked from seeing that which is why the reverse angle is the one that overturned the call.

As for Butler in 2016, the officials announced the call wrong about a huddle. Butler's foul was running into the game to sub and then not participating in a play. In the video below, you even see the ref signal to the Line Judge after Butler runs out. Even still, the Cowboys coaches could have called time out to reset and not have the foul apply. They didn't. They didn't know the rules in sending him out there and then didn't use the escape hatch by calling timeout.

So, who got to Crayton to tell him to slow down in 2007 and not catch a sure TD that would have beaten the Giants? The Syndicate has massive reach I'm learning. Lol.

Butler-Huddle.gif
I have watched and played football for over 40 years....Dez caught the ball. It was so egregious...they revisited the "interpterion". It would be impossible to play football under the way they "interpreted" the Dez play! Is it a coincidence that they re-visited it AFTER they screwed Dallas?

The Butler play...not sure what you are talking about. Maybe I missed it. But I could have sworn it was Terrance Williams and if he was in the huddle or not in the huddle or in the huddle, left, came back. It was beyond ridiculous. I could have sworn they said it has never been called.

The 2007 playoff game had nothing to do with Patrick Crayton. Although...the way that game unfolded would have never happened had DeMarcus Ware not been called offsides when he was not. One of the best jumps ever...so good the refs though he was offsides. But that happens. It was 3rd down and I believe that gave them an extra set of downs that they parlayed into an Amani Toomer TD. And that was not a high scoring game...so points were a premium that game. But that type of missed call happens to everyone.

Soth

Reaction score
Thread for all who think the NFL and its officiating is prejudiced against the Cowboys (or not):

Why do you think the NFL wouldn't want Dallas to succeed? The Cowboys have the biggest fan base, generate the most revenue and draw the highest ratings. Wouldn't Dallas going deep in the playoffs (and a Super Bowl appearance every few years) be exactly what the league would want? It would fatten the league's pockets.

If the NFL is prejudiced, then this is claiming that the league is prejudiced against its own interests.

The NFL is not a single entity. There are 32 owners + Goodell. I am pretty sure Goodell and a lot of the owners hate Jerry for multiple reasons. One of them is that Jerry fought them on the Goodell renewal. Quote: "Jones clashed with Goodell and the league on multiple issues in 2017. Jones was a vocal advocate of delaying a contract extension for Goodell and proposed on Dec. 1 to implement a six-month moratorium on finalizing the deal. The Times reported Monday that the punishment will come down in the coming weeks and that Goodell will cite Jones' actions as detrimental to the league." Full article here.

The other owners were not happy when Jerry and Snyder went over the "cap" in an uncapped year. Here is a quote from the article: "Cowboys owner, Jerry Jones, and Commanders owner, Dan Snyder—ever the iconoclasts—apparently didn't do as they were told. They didn’t break the rules, though, at least by my understanding. Because there were no rules." Full article.

The NFL is not fair in any way. A majority of the owners + Goodell can basically make up any rule they want and punish any player or team as they see fit. Jerry has clashed with other owners before on multiple topics which means he might get the short end of the stick a lot of times. Unless he gets the majority of the owners on his side he has no recourse. But don't feel bad for him because even with all of these clashes with the NFL he still owns the most valuable sports franchise in the world.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If you have not seen the league screwing the Cowboys by now you're not going to. By the way, the Cowboys are not the only team they screw.. They have also consistently screwed the other team whose owner took the league to court and won the way Jerry did.. Namely... the Raiders.. "tuck rule" my ***..
Because it's not happing in terms of officiating.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Because it's not happing in terms of officiating.
Wasn't it a couple a years ago where holding had not been called on an opposing OL for like ~7 games. Holding happens on every play...and Dallas was the ONLY team during that stretch....where a hold was not called.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I have watched and played football for over 40 years....Dez caught the ball. It was so egregious...they revisited the "interpterion". It would be impossible to play football under the way they "interpreted" the Dez play! Is it a coincidence that they re-visited it AFTER they screwed Dallas?

No, because they revised the rule years later after it bit Pittsburgh. Again, you and many just didn't know the rule. When you were going to the ground in those days, those rules took precedence and you couldn't fulfill a catch unless you survived the ground with the ball. Dez didn't.

The Butler play...not sure what you are talking about. Maybe I missed it. But I could have sworn it was Terrance Williams and if he was in the huddle or not in the huddle or in the huddle, left, came back. It was beyond ridiculous. I could have sworn they said it has never been called.?

You are mistaken again. It was Butler #19. And you just ran past everything I said when I said it had nothing to do with the huddle. Nothing. They announced the penalty wrong. It was subbing in and not participating in that play which a player MUST do if he subs in. He missed it. Coaches missed it. And a penalty was called. It's not CONSPIRACY! if our own team doesn't know the rules. They're paid to.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Lets use the Prescott era as a recent and realistic example. 2016 to 2020. 2021 isn't complete yet.
The entire duration Dallas was never even in the top 10 most penalized teams. Not even once. 5 entire seasons. Surely if they had it out for us we would be the most penalized team?

And everyone demanding that they're suggesting otherwise have yet to offer any evidence.

There are even fans here making things up when opposing teams got screwed by a non call and Dallas got away with a penalty.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
No, because they revised the rule years later after it bit Pittsburgh. Again, you and many just didn't know the rule. When you were going to the ground in those days, those rules took precedence and you couldn't fulfill a catch unless you survived the ground with the ball. Dez didn't.

You are mistaken again. It was Butler #19. And you just ran past everything I said when I said it had nothing to do with the huddle. Nothing. They announced the penalty wrong. It was subbing in and not participating in that play which a player MUST do if he subs in. He missed it. Coaches missed it. And a penalty was called. It's not CONSPIRACY! if our own team doesn't know the rules. They're paid to.
Do you have a replay of the Butler play? Not like I don't believe you. But would love to just see it again.

And are you saying they re-visited after it hurt Pittsburgh? Well that makes my point. We are ok screwing Dallas...but we can't have the Steelers getting screwed!

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Do you have a replay of the Butler play? Not like I don't believe you. But would love to just see it again.

And are you saying they re-visited after it hurt Pittsburgh? Well that makes my point. We are ok screwing Dallas...but we can't have the Steelers getting screwed!

I thought I posted it earlier but was having a little trouble with it. It is below again but also with a Tweet right after that shows it. My version goes a little longer and shows a ref from the bottom right come into the screen and motion to the Line Judge as if he saw what Butler just did.

Butler-Huddle1.gif

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The league doesn't actively "hate" on the Cowboys, they do however shade games to keep them competitive, promote whoever it is they want to promote, and protect whoever it is they want to protect in the name of ratings and ticket sales. The Cowboys are unique in that, as another poster mentioned, they are cash cows who do not need promoting or protecting. The by-product is a league that systematically "hates" on teams without animosity, it's just how things work out.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I thought I posted it earlier but was having a little trouble with it. It is below again but also with a Tweet right after that shows it. My version goes a little longer and shows a ref from the bottom right come into the screen and motion to the Line Judge as if he saw what Butler just did.

Butler-Huddle1.gif

The reason this is not a penalty is because Dak smartly steps out of the huddle while the substitutions are taking place and never reenters the huddle until it has all shaken out.. so there was never a 12th man in the huddle.