If the NFL doesn't want the Cowboys to be successful, why not?

ryanbabs

Reaction score
And this is what I find so, so interesting on these boards. You can show up with the rules, you can show up with frame by frame video and they will turn their heads to the left and the right while activating defense mechanism mode to refuse to see what their brains say they are not to accept under any circumstances.
I think you are missing a huge point everyone is trying to mention: the penalties are not called fairly for each team. And I’m not talking about 14 penalties to 14 penalties. I’m talking about the timing and nature of the penalties that dictates outcome of games. You know, situational penalties.

TheHerd

Reaction score
The other thing that not a lot of people know about is the lawsuit that Jerry WON vs the NFL - they actually settled, but it was a massive win for Jerry because it allowed him to create merchandise apart from the NFL’s licensing agreements. This is huge because the NFL is losing out on tens [if not hundreds] of millions of dollars by not being able to capitalize financially on a lot of Cowboys merchandise. We haven’t won a Super Bowl (or even got close) since.

Coincidence?

Who knows… but we are definitely not in the good graces of the NFL and there are a lot of ‘mysterious’ calls that have taken place in the last 2 1/2 decades. That merchandise and stadium lawsuit is a big reason why the Cowboys are worth more than any other team in sports.

Here’s an article if you guys want to read about it:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciajessop/2013/11/29/jerry-jones-1995-risk-allows-the-dallas-cowboys-to-become-leaders-in-the-growing-womens-sports-apparel-market/amp/
This lawsuit is what I always go back to. Prior to that, we were off on the positive end of calls. Since then, none.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I think you are missing a huge point everyone is trying to mention: the penalties are not called fairly for each team. And I’m not talking about 14 penalties to 14 penalties. I’m talking about the timing and nature of the penalties that dictates outcome of games. You know, situational penalties.

The outcome of the game like that facemask Brown put on the NE receiver that would have won them the game? Yes, yes, we know. Even if the refs called 14 penalties on the other team and just 2 on the Cowboys, the conspiracy theorists get around that by saying, "Oh, it's not the number but when they call them. Our 2 hurt way more than their 14. Changed the entire game back in the 1st Quarter." Then when we get called for more than the opponent, then it's, "Oh, isn't it obvious they're cheating us? Look at the number of penalties." The theorists shoehorn any given situation into victimhood and everything can be legislated that way no matter what. Never, ever any proof whatsoever but who needs that? Lol.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
The outcome of the game like that facemask Brown put on the NE receiver that would have won them the game? Yes, yes, we know. Even if the refs called 14 penalties on the other team and just 2 on the Cowboys, the conspiracy theorists get around that by saying, "Oh, it's not the number but when they call them. Our 2 hurt way more than their 14. Changed the entire game back in the 1st Quarter." Then when we get called for more than the opponent, then it's, "Oh, isn't it obvious they're cheating us? Look at the number of penalties." The theorists shoehorn any given situation into victimhood and everything can be legislated that way no matter what. Never, ever any proof whatsoever but who needs that? Lol.
Good lord, you’re gonna bring up that NE game with the non-TD calls? I’ve been watching these games a long time. We can agree to disagree. 25 years in the making…

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The NFL hasn’t liked JJ since his $750 million lawsuit to do his own marketing away from the NFL trust in 1995/96. Then he was the one owner to stand up against Goodell contract after the Zeke suspension.

Yep, JJ tried to block Goodell's extension and the Commish kinda took it personally it seems:laugh:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don’t know why some of you even bother watching the games if you actually believe some of this crap.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I don’t know why some of you even bother watching the games if you actually believe some of this crap.

It is still entertainment...............look at how many people watch WWE, sign up for pay per views, ect......even though its all fake.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It is still entertainment...............look at how many people watch WWE, sign up for pay per views, ect......even though its all fake.

Anyone who thinks the NFL is rigged and biased against the Cowboys needs help. The officiating is heavily scrutinized with cameras everywhere. Some of the things that are being posted lately about this topic is beyond strange.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
Forget about ratings and revenue for a second, this is PURELY PERSONAL. It reminds me of the relationship or lack there of, between former commissioner Pete Rozelle and the Late Al Davis who was the owner of the Oakland / L.A. Raiders. These guys HATED each other so deeply it bordered on insanity, but what was really interesting is the Raiders became the most penalized team in the NFL during that time. Was it coincidental or intentional? Jerry Jones ADMIRED Al Davis for years because Al was a "forward thinker" that only wanted what was best for his Raiders Team, he didn't care about the other teams that couldn't generate large revenue on their own. Jerry loves the idea of EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF but that mindset doesn't sit well with his commissioner or most of his fellow owners, which brings me to my point.. Of course there is no proof of this but I can see how the commissioner and a few of the owners that he is tightly aligned with, could try to "teach Jerry a lesson" or "keep Jerry in check" by influencing refs. to make things just a little harder for the Cowboys. It's either that or we just have awful bad luck with officiating for the last decade or so..

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Thread for all who think the NFL and its officiating is prejudiced against the Cowboys (or not):

Why do you think the NFL wouldn't want Dallas to succeed? The Cowboys have the biggest fan base, generate the most revenue and draw the highest ratings. Wouldn't Dallas going deep in the playoffs (and a Super Bowl appearance every few years) be exactly what the league would want? It would fatten the league's pockets.

If the NFL is prejudiced, then this is claiming that the league is prejudiced against its own interests.
Dez caught it

DandyDon52

Reaction score
2 things sealed it for me

The Dez catch against the Packers - (which was so bad and there is no way the league could operate like that in the future, so they had to CHANGE the rule AFTER they screwed the Cowboys). The thing that will always bother me is that it was called a catch on the field...and then overturned. They at least would have covered themselves if it had NOT been called a catch on the field. Dez was NEVER the same after this!!!

The other thing was against the Packers as well (and yes...that is a recurring theme. The league does like its Packers, Steelers, Patriots and Giants)....but I digress. But anyway, I believe it was 2016 playoffs...we were 13 - 3. Had homefield advantage throughout...and a rookie Dak and Zeke were young, spry, and playing fearless football. I believe we got knocked back on our heels early that game...but then we got up off the mat...and started to ball and momentum had started to shift and we had found our rhythm. I believe we had just converted a big 3rd down that put us in the redzone....and the ref said Terrance Williams had entered the huddle...left the huddle and then reentered it. I believe the broadcast team said it had NEVER been called or had not been called in like 20 years. And when you watch the replay....HE DID NOT EVEN DO WHAT THEY SAID HE DID. It was clearly something the refs came into the game looking to use at the "RIGHT" moment!!!!!!!!! Please somebody have a replay of this one. All I know is I kept saying "You can't make this stuff up"!!!! Could the NFL be a little more discreet? I mean, don't be so obvious about the outcome you want!!!
The packers could have noticed in film sessions that the cowboys were sloppy about how many were in the huddle, so the asked the refs to look at that during the game, and sure enough cowboys got sloppy.
Replays dont always show what the ref saw.

Dez got paid and hurt his foot , thats why he was never the same.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
it could be that the nfl makes more money by the cowboys losing games .
I dont think it is anything else.
Also it is not just the cowboys, other teams face the same thing, you guys just dont watch enough of the other games.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
The packers could have noticed in film sessions that the cowboys were sloppy about how many were in the huddle, so the asked the refs to look at that during the game, and sure enough cowboys got sloppy.
Replays dont always show what the ref saw.

Dez got paid and hurt his foot , thats why he was never the same.
You never addressed whether you think Dez caught it.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The Cowboys sell no matter how well the team does. No promotion necessary.

The SB sells itself no matter who is playing. No promotion Necessary.

It makes perfect sense to "help" less popular teams get to the SB. Doing so increases popularity (read $$$) for the less popular team while the Cowboys remain the top draw SB or no SB.

I'm not saying this is happening, but I'm not saying it isn't either.

Just saying, there is your reason why it might make sense.