If this were the Cowboys, we'd be crucified!!!

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Still a rift between Burress and Manning?

Associated Press
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - Eli Manning says he has a good relationship with Plaxico Burress. His No. 1 receiver wasn't talking about it on Wednesday, turning down pleas from the Giants' public relations staff to talk to the media on the opening day of minicamp.

Burress hasn't said anything since the Giants were beaten 23-0 by the Carolina Panthers in the opening round of the playoffs.

Held without a catch, Burress waved his hands in frustration several times during the game when he felt he was open and Manning didn't get him the ball. The receiver, who was signed as a free agent last year, didn't report to the stadium the following day for a season-ending team meeting.

Burress also did not participate in voluntary workouts in the offseason, opting to train in Florida with tight end Jeremy Shockey.

"You don't have to be best friends with everybody," Manning said after a morning workout Wednesday. "As long as everybody is on the same page and has the same goal of working hard and getting better and winning games, then I think that is fine. We're lockermates. We see each other daily. We have a good relationship."

Manning said he has spoken with Burress a few times in recent weeks, addressing nothing specific. He downplayed Burress' onfield antics in the playoff game.

"He was upset. We didn't have a good game," said Manning, who was 10-for-18 for 113 yards and four interceptions against the Panthers. "Everybody on this team is competitive and wants to win and do well. A lot of people were frustrated and that's how he expressed it."

Coach Tom Coughlin said he spoke with Burress about missing the team meeting after the season ended. Coughlin would not comment on what was said.

During the morning workout on Wednesday, Manning found Burress with a pass on a slant route, and he hooked up with Shockey on a couple of plays.

Shockey showed up for the minicamp sporting a black eye. He blamed it on a training accident in Florida last week.

He also said he thought there was plenty of leadership on the team.

"The older people, like Tiki Barber and Michael Strahan, when those guys talk, those are the guys I listen to, the guys who have been here eight, nine, 10, 11 or 12 years," he said. "Those are the leaders on this team."

Center Shaun O'Hara felt too much was being made of Burress.

"We have a lot of things going on," O'Hara said. "No way on the first day of minicamp are we worried about team chemistry."

He also downplayed the absence of Burress and Shockey from the voluntary workouts, saying no one wants to work out with somebody who doesn't want to be there.

O'Hara said the players were more interested in Shockey's black eye. "I think we were all wondering whether coach gave it to him," O'Hara said.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
If this were Bledsoe, with TO and Witten working out in Florida, and TO wouldn't talk to the press even when the organization wanted him too, we'd never hear the end of it, yet this is the first i've heard about ANY of this with the Gints.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
I've noticed that Burress usually gets agitated with Manning. Even if they're winning the game by alot.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
This is good news. Burress was always something of a headcase and it sounds like he hasn't changed. If it causes some problems for the Gints then great. I'll take any advantage we can get no matter how small.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
The bigger question is, did the Giants have a fluke season ?

IMO, Manning only had 3 good games last season. The rest were average at best. Even the games the Commanders and Cowboys lost to the Giants, it wasnt because of Eli that they won.

jja050575

Reaction score
Burress is just mad that he screwed up bad enough in Pittsburgh to make them cut him and they go and win a superbowl!!! ha!!!

JonCJG

Reaction score
I heard that Lavar was having problems with his ACL as well. Strained it or something......

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
jja050575 said:
Burress is just mad that he screwed up bad enough in Pittsburgh to make them cut him and they go and win a superbowl!!! ha!!!

The Steelers didnt cut Burress. He was a Free Agent.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
KD said:
I heard that Lavar was having problems with his ACL as well. Strained it or something......

Achilles tendonitis. Therefore ankle.

Although, he probably still has some knee concerns.

JonCJG

Reaction score
thanks SkinsandTerps.....

I have heard rumours that he has no cartilage left in his knees..... this is going to be a very entertaining year to watch unfold.

VirusX

Reaction score
KD said:

I have heard rumours that he has no cartilage left in his knees..... this is going to be a very entertaining year to watch unfold.

I agree, this year should be wild and wacky. Can't wait!! :banghead:

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
KD said:

Anytime bro.

I would have to double check but, I think I have to give the Giants FO some credit. Arrington has a deal that can be unloaded with a cap hit for sure but with only a few moves they will be just fine.

I still think fluke season.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Big Dakota said:
"You don't have to be best friends with everybody," Manning said after a morning workout Wednesday. "As long as everybody is on the same page and has the same goal of working hard and getting better and winning games, then I think that is fine. We're lockermates. We see each other daily. We have a good relationship."

Doesn't this sound like a quote from Mcnabb about TO?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Anytime bro.

I would have to double check but, I think I have to give the Giants FO some credit. Arrington has a deal that can be unloaded with a cap hit for sure but with only a few moves they will be just fine.

I do too and I think 2005 was a fluke in reverse for Philly. They still scare me. I will not count them down until I know they are out. That's a good football team.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Big Dakota said:
He also downplayed the absence of Burress and Shockey from the voluntary workouts, saying no one wants to work out with somebody who doesn't want to be there.

nice :rolleyes:

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
This is why i keep trying to figure out why peopole are stiull high on the GInts. THey showed nothing last year, that told me ELi, was ready to lead this team any where. THey got rare production from Tiki Barber, and Got some good games from their Def. But the bottom line is this team will take a step back from last year. (I.E Cowboys in 2004 after the 2003 season). Book it

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:

In full agreement, Gints of 2005 remind mne of Cowboys of 2003, full of luck, and easy scheduling, slid into the playoffs, only to get blown out by the Panthers (ironic eh?)

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
The Giants are in NY; the media hub of the US.

Of course, they aren't going to print anything negative about them. Not when there is a much easier target than Owens. Burress could kill someone and it wouldn't make front page news....because Owens would be on page 1, showing up to practice 5 minutes late.

jay cee

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I do too and I think 2005 was a fluke in reverse for Philly. They still scare me. I will not count them down until I know they are out. That's a good football team.
You are right on point, Hos. I will be surprised if Philly has another poor season.