If Vince Young fell to #18, would you want the Cowboys to draft him?

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
in the ridiculously unlikely event Young falls to #18 - "needs" be d***ed - dallas would be insane to pass on him.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Hostile said:
That pick has a draft value of 900 points based on this chart.

http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48228

I would assume Houston takes Reggie Bush at #1 overall. If Young were there at 18 I'd see if they still want their favorite son.

Thier pick #33 is valued at 580, they have New Orleans' 3rd round pick #66 which is valued at 260 points, their 4th round pick at #97 is worth 112 points.

That's 952 points for a 900 value pick who is a native son QB 2 time Rose Bowl winner and would give them Young and Bush and they could trade Carr.

We would get back the 1st pick of the 2nd round to go along with our own, add a 3rd round pick to our own, and have the 1st pick of the 2nd day of the Draft.

QB is not our top need, so I'd get greedy.

I agree with this kind of reasoning. If we could trade him quickly, then draft him. But QB isn't an overarching need at this point.

David.

:p:

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
That pick has a draft value of 900 points based on this chart.

http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48228

I would assume Houston takes Reggie Bush at #1 overall. If Young were there at 18 I'd see if they still want their favorite son.

Thier pick #33 is valued at 580, they have New Orleans' 3rd round pick #66 which is valued at 260 points, their 4th round pick at #97 is worth 112 points.

That's 952 points for a 900 value pick who is a native son QB 2 time Rose Bowl winner and would give them Young and Bush and they could trade Carr.

We would get back the 1st pick of the 2nd round to go along with our own, add a 3rd round pick to our own, and have the 1st pick of the 2nd day of the Draft.

QB is not our top need, so I'd get greedy.
Did you watch the Rose Bowl?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Skip said:
Well I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I have been a football fan for a very long time (since before there was a Dallas Cowboys) and I don't see it your way.

whats not to see about what I said? have they (and do they) or have they not had a ton of NFL talent on that team?

hence, he isnt a one man tema as you suggest

David

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Charles said:
Did you watch the Rose Bowl?
Yes, I did. One of the best football games I saw all year and I'm not just saying that because USC lost.

Why? As if I don't know.

kartr

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I would prefer Jerry Jones not interfering. That is when we make terrible decisions drafting. And even if he did, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of what Coach Parcells was trying to accomplish? He would be extremely upset and I wouldn't blame him.

Gino Torretta was a winner. So was Danny Wuerrfel. I am not comparing him athletically to these players of course, but to use the fact he was a winning college QB does very little to speak to his potential to do it as a professional.

Neither of those qb's carried their teams on their backs either. Put Vince Young on that USC team and Leinart on the Texas team and USC walks all over that Texas team easily.

kartr

Reaction score
dwmyers said:
I agree with this kind of reasoning. If we could trade him quickly, then draft him. But QB isn't an overarching need at this point.

David.

:p:

Bledsoe will be 35 when the season starts and is one serious injury away from being finished.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Zippy Speedster said:
I remember just only last year a qb predicted to go #2 overall then started slipping all the way down to the Packers--at what, 22? This is very possible with all the negativety surrounding his testing lately for Young to fall that far

Yup, that's exactly who I'm thinking of. I also recall Roethlisberger being head-to-head with Eli Manning in some early draft reports. I'm sure if Young were to drop to #18, the draft graders would love us just for grabbing a guy who was once thought to be a top five pick, but I don't blame the heavy percentage of voters who said no to Young. It's a risky pick, that's for sure. Still tempting though.

Skip

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
whats not to see about what I said? have they (and do they) or have they not had a ton of NFL talent on that team?

hence, he isnt a one man tema as you suggest

David

I never said he was a "one" man team, but I do know if they didn't have Vince Young they would have not won many of the games they did win the last 2 years!

Did I ever say they didn't have any other NFL talent? NO!

Clearly you can't read since I never did suggest he was a one man team, that would be stupid to even discuss. If that is what you hang your hat on it's about to fall on the floor.

What I did say was many games he put them on his back and won the game because he was there.

Nuff said!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
kartr said:
Neither of those qb's carried their teams on their backs either. Put Vince Young on that USC team and Leinart on the Texas team and USC walks all over that Texas team easily.

I doubt it.

The USC playbook would confuse Young.

And if you are using the One Man Gang approach as a reason he will be a great pro, that is wrong. Unless of course some coach is going to be foolish to try to do that with him.

If you want that type of QB, take Brad Smith. Much cheaper and won't cost a first round draft pick and set the franchise back.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
kartr said:

yeah right...VY had no help from the tons of NFL calibar players on his Texas roster either did he?

:rolleyes:

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Skip said:
I never said he was a "one" man team, but I do know if they didn't have Vince Young they would have not won many of the games they did win the last 2 years!

Did I ever say they didn't have any other NFL talent? NO!

Clearly you can't read since I never did suggest he was a one man team, that would be stupid to even discuss. If that is what you hang your hat on it's about to fall on the floor.

What I did say was many games he put them on his back and won the game because he was there.

Nuff said!

you said he carried the team...I'm saying he had the advantage of playing with a TON of NFL calibar talent on his roster, offense and defense...if you see something different your being a blind loyalist...the guy is surrounded by alot of good to great players

David