If Vince Young fell to #18, would you want the Cowboys to draft him?

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Hostile said:
The 2nd rounder this year holds equal value to a 1st rounder next year.
But we got Buffalo's 2nd and 1st not a 2nd 3rd and 4th, so basically we giving a 1st for what a 3rd and 4th and dropping 15 spots. no to a trade dow, unless it does get us an extra 1st for next season

Q_the_man

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
Young's passing "stats" were not indicative of him have great or even good passing skills, they were more the result of him playing on a team that completely overmatched most teams they played
David
I guess Texas was way overmatched for USC because he picked them apart....

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
I'd take him if he fell that far. He could sit for a year here. And with Romo/Henson, we don't know if we have a QB to take over after Bledsoe.

Skip

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
I pay almost no attention to college QB rating when thinking about how good a QB in college might become in the pros...you can be an absolutely putrid NFL prospect but be among the NCAA leaders in rating if you are in the right scheme, or play poor competition, or play in offense where you throw constantly because you are always behind...there are just too many variables

Young's passing "stats" were not indicative of him have great or even good passing skills, they were more the result of him playing on a team that completely overmatched most teams they played, having the advantage of spreading other teams out and having them almost always think run first and throwing in a very simple, mostly underneath type system when they did throw

David

I am just guessing here, but I take it you didn't watch the Horns the last couple of years. Young carried that team on his back many times to win.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Skip said:
I am just guessing here, but I take it you didn't watch the Horns the last couple of years. Young carried that team on his back many times to win.

I'm taking it YOU didnt watch them much...how many NFL prospects are on that team and have been/will be drafted?

there's only one or two other college teams with the kind of NFL talent Texas has had

but to answer your question, yeah I have watched him...he is a mediocre NFL prospect in my opinion because of his weaknesses in terms of being able to throw the ball and the style of offense he comes from

David

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Vince Young is just Quincy Carter "New and Improved"... still not enough to get it done. Vick CANT and WONT get it done. So Young doesnt look better than THAT.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
HELL YEAH!!!!! but that would just be a dream. People who say he will be a bust only say so because he such a different type of QB than any other ever and so they want him to fail. Also I'm getting tired of saying this but WILL PEOPLE STOP COMPARING HIM TO MICHAEL VICK!!! he is a much different player and unlike Vick, Vince Young waits as long as he can to pass until he takes off and runs. Vince Young is more of a improved version of Randall Cunningham.

ElTiburon

Reaction score
Da Hammer said:
HELL YEAH!!!!! but that would just be a dream. People who say he will be a bust only say so because he such a different type of QB than any other ever and so they want him to fail. Also I'm getting tired of saying this but WILL PEOPLE STOP COMPARING HIM TO MICHAEL VICK!!! he is a much different player and unlike Vick, Vince Young waits as long as he can to pass until he takes off and runs. Vince Young is more of a improved version of Randall Cunningham.

I would draft him in a heart beat. We still do not have a quaterback for the future. VY has a lot of intangibles (ie leadership, calmness under pressure) that scouts are unable to measure. Most of the people that are against the Boys drafting him are Texas haters (ie OU, A & M).
Saying that I don't think he will fall that far. He is probably going to be selected in the top 5.

:bow:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Parcells would never draft him......The only possibility of seeing Young in a Cowboys uniform would be if JJ intervened. That's not likely to happen.

I would prefer Jerry Jones not interfering. That is when we make terrible decisions drafting. And even if he did, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of what Coach Parcells was trying to accomplish? He would be extremely upset and I wouldn't blame him.

I must say however with Youngs success at the college level he has proven himself to be a winner.

Gino Torretta was a winner. So was Danny Wuerrfel. I am not comparing him athletically to these players of course, but to use the fact he was a winning college QB does very little to speak to his potential to do it as a professional.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I would prefer Jerry Jones not interfering. That is when we make terrible decisions drafting. And even if he did, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of what Coach Parcells was trying to accomplish? He would be extremely upset and I wouldn't blame him.

Jones not interfering is the way I would prefer it to be as well.

Gino Torretta was a winner. So was Danny Wuerrfel. I am not comparing him athletically to these players of course, but to use the fact he was a winning college QB does very little to speak to his potential to do it as a professional.

Neither am I.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Da Hammer said:

The problem I have with guys like Marino, McNabb, Favre(yes I know he got his... but he cost his team many BIG playoff games), Cunningham, Quincy Carter, Jeff George, Daunte Culpepper, Warren Moon, Kerry Collins, Neil ODonell(thank goodness he didnt win his big game) etc... etc... and a list of many others...

IS....
just when they get THEIR BIG GAME... they BLOW it....
just when you expect something from them.... they let you down....
just when.... "IT" never happens.... the "W" that is...

An improved version of Randall Cunningham would just one or two games further into playoffs and choke THEN.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Q_the_man said:
But we got Buffalo's 2nd and 1st not a 2nd 3rd and 4th, so basically we giving a 1st for what a 3rd and 4th and dropping 15 spots. no to a trade dow, unless it does get us an extra 1st for next season
We'd be getting a 4th instead of a 5th and a high 3rd instead of a mid round 2nd.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Q_the_man said:

I agree. Wow, never thought i would say that. J/K.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Like there ANY chance that Young is still there at #18 anyways? I dont see it. No way.

Skip

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
I'm taking it YOU didnt watch them much...how many NFL prospects are on that team and have been/will be drafted?

there's only one or two other college teams with the kind of NFL talent Texas has had

but to answer your question, yeah I have watched him...he is a mediocre NFL prospect in my opinion because of his weaknesses in terms of being able to throw the ball and the style of offense he comes from

David

Well I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I have been a football fan for a very long time (since before there was a Dallas Cowboys) and I don't see it your way.

Zippy Speedster

Reaction score
I remember just only last year a qb predicted to go #2 overall then started slipping all the way down to the Packers--at what, 22? This is very possible with all the negativety surrounding his testing lately for Young to fall that far.

And if he was still there at #18 I'd be all for us pulling the trigger. As many have already stated, we wouldn't be in a hurry to get him out on that field, we're good with Bledsoe for a year or two easily.

Would we actually do it though? Simple--he's sitting there at 18, Jerry sees that and gets a big smirk across his plastic chucky face, and the rest is history. I even bet if a camera was pointed on him at the exact moment that afterwards you would beable to slow it down and actually see animated $$$ signs flash across his eyes.

This would be a nobrainer and I don't think Parcells would have much say in it if this is what Jerry really wanted. Nor do I think Bill would stand in the way. Ultimately, even he knows this is Jerry's team, he's just playing shop manager for a short time. In fact I think if this is the direction Jerry really wanted to go in the future that Bill would be more then happy to help him get there by setting it up for him partially now, ie drafting a qb for the future.

Best thing if we did a move like this and drafted Young is I don't see much on offense we'd really have to change immediately. He'd be sitting for a year or two and our receivers, the only thing we'd really need to change would be retiring more then likely or unexcusable enough for us to just get rid of, new one's are already on the horizon. We can tailor them to the type of offense we plan on having. And at RB we're already good. A shifty, slippery RB like JJ is perfect to go along with a QB like Young. Together they would light that backfield up and have defense running in circles by days end not knowing which way is up. Entirely fix the oline and get 2 new WRs within 2 years time and we'd be set to go. A WR in rd1 next year and then another one in the same round the year after that, not even an effort if it's what needs to be done, and don't forget FA which could easily score us another one.

This is a plan for the future I could get behind. And so much better then this pointless NFLe Suppastar we have for us now. :rolleyes:

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
YoMick said:
The problem I have with guys like Marino, McNabb, Favre(yes I know he got his... but he cost his team many BIG playoff games), Cunningham, Quincy Carter, Jeff George, Daunte Culpepper, Warren Moon, Kerry Collins, Neil ODonell(thank goodness he didnt win his big game) etc... etc... and a list of many others...

IS....
just when they get THEIR BIG GAME... they BLOW it....
just when you expect something from them.... they let you down....
just when.... "IT" never happens.... the "W" that is...

An improved version of Randall Cunningham would just one or two games further into playoffs and choke THEN.
well i was talking about him being an improved version of Cunningham as far as being almost similar in how they played but Vince being better in almost every aspect. And just how far Young or any other rookie QB in this draft or any draft can take his team in the playoffs is unknown until you see them play at the Pro-level and show what they can do

calico

Reaction score
obviously, I would be beyond thrilled to have Young in Dallas. I think he will be an excellent QB in a few years, but I just don't see Parcells or Jones really wanting him right now with the other holes the team has.

Texas did not run a "school-yard" offense. It was a variation of what the Colts ran and Texas worked with several of the coaches from Indy. The only difference was the use of a mobile QB with the zone read for the running game. The passing game was much more complicated than it had been in years at Texas thanks to the help of the Indy coaches.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Teague31 said:
he is at least 3 years away from contributing so i voted no. bp and jj want to win now.
Good thing they weren't in charge when we drafted Roger Staubach.