If we cover all bases before the draft, do we just draft for depth?

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
BPA…but balanced with positional need and scheme fit.
I hear you but sometimes other criteria has teams outsmarting themselves, as we all know very well, scheme fit backfired with the Taco/Watts fiasco.

Hope this crew keeps hitting the bullseye with the picks.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I understand the BPA crowds thinking...but when do you factor in team needs?

Just seems like having a rigid BPA approach really only makes sense for first couple of rounds. After that...doesnt the talent difference between players begin to become marginal?

Example...have have Player A ranked the 120th best player on your board. You have Player B who is at a position of team need that is ranked 135th best player on your board. Is the talent difference enough to go 120th every time? I would assume you go team need often in that situation.

Or...are players on team boards rated with team need factored into the players position on the board somehow mathematically?

I do understand that teams do their research and make a long list in order of who they think is most qualified to least and you should factor that in...but team need seems to be an important factor here unless talent difference is significant.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There are 3 rules to drafting.

1. You draft your board.

2. If there is a tie, positional needs prevails.

3. You draft your board.
I believe you draft the most worthy player available. Your draft for need usually get burned draft best available. You probably don’t need the player sometimes. I’m taking the player most worthy at the position I’m drafting in.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

Just seems like having a rigid BPA approach really only makes sense for first couple of rounds. After that...doesnt the talent difference between players begin to become marginal?

Example...have have Player A ranked the 120th best player on your board. You have Player B who is at a position of team need that is ranked 135th best player on your board. Is the talent difference enough to go 120th every time? I would assume you go team need often in that situation.

Or...are players on team boards rated with team need factored into the players position on the board somehow mathematically?

I do understand that teams do their research and make a long list in order of who they think is most qualified to least and you should factor that in...but team need seems to be an important factor here unless talent difference is significant.
Thats most likley still well within the lines of BPA, like the Lamb pick...he was just graded well above at his position compared to bigger needs so they took him, so your right, if the need player is within the realm at his position as the BPA you draft need.

Disclaimer: RB grades to me are a little wierder as the 1st one is not that much better than the 15th one compared to wether he is running behind Martin or McGovern

TheCritic

Reaction score
It's a fair question. But look at it this way. When a team "develops their draft board", it means they place an overall grade on each and every draft prospect that they would potentially draft. And they strategize different scenarios about which player they would choose if it came down to 2 or more prospects with the same or similar grade. At that point, if there are 2 players with the same grade, then current needs/holes on the roster could then become a deciding factor.

irishline

Reaction score
This to me has 2009 draft all over it. I love the fact that we can go in with no major glaring needs, but I don't want us to get guys who won't play much this season. Please give me your thoughts

Thought we tried that in 2009. Believe they referred to it as the special teams draft. Didn't work so well. In fact I think it's remembered as one of the, if not the, worst drafts in team history.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...rically-bad-was-the-dallas-cowboys-2009-draft

Aven8

Reaction score
Get better. Their is always better players at certain positions.

BigDPlayer

Reaction score
This to me has 2009 draft all over it. I love the fact that we can go in with no major glaring needs, but I don't want us to get guys who won't play much this season. Please give me your thoughts
Absolutely NOT!! We draft the BPA at whatever position and grow the roster the way we have since Jason Garrett and Co. revamped the draft process to what it is today.

Many of these guys are on 1 year deals... they are great and contributing. Long Term Growth and consistency relies on a strong draft strategy and retaining key players and developing talent.

We had a great season. Our defense... DOMINATING... with the potential to be even better this fall.

All that said, we draft the BPA and continue to develop. Period.

Go Cowboys!!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
C'mon now, the FO isn't going to "cover all bases" before the draft. We will still have holes on this roster.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score

1. You draft your board.

3. You draft your board.
Most draftees aren't REALLY ready to contribute until Year 2 or even 3 (unless ur current starters totally suck).

So drafted for need is dumb, because you can never anticipate what ur needs will be in 2 years. Obviously you don't want to draft 7 QBs or 7 tight ends,.... but a Logical BPA approach is best.

Just take good players, at important positions, and u usually end up OK

starfan1

Reaction score
WHAT OTHER HOLES do we have on this team besides NT
well some would have you believe TE is a gaping hole just look earlier in this thread. I myself dont buy into that to each their own. I guess people look at Kelse and Kittle and the Wallers of the world and think thats the norm. I do believe what we have in the stable is good enoug. We have 3 TE all of which are capable of performing well enough at their positions

We dont need to waste an early resource on it when IMO Guard,DT,CB and Rb is all a bigger need

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I think it is always a bit of both. I think anyone who drafts purely for need ends up reaching for players and ends up being a wasted pick.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
OMG. what bases have we covered that we need to draft for depth!? signed two 30+ year old players, way past their prime, one of them is so good he is on his 6th team....now you think they walked through the hallowed walls of cowboys stadium, drank the Cowboys Holy water and are all of sudden super NFL players...

we covered our holes while giving ourselves opportunity to find future starters and hopefully young impactful players.

neither cooks and galimore make me go WOW..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

1. You draft your board.

3. You draft your board.
Jerry's rules for drafting

1- Draft the player that sells more jersey's
2- If its a tie, draft the offensive/defensive skilled players, because they sell more jerseys
3- Draft your Jersey Selling Potential Board.