If we keep 3 QB's, Thorson VS. DiNucci

Who would be our 3rd QB, if we keep one

• Total voters

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Why would someone poach him? Nobody even wanted to draft him until the 7th round......if he's on practice squad he won't hit. If he's stellar in preseason then we are talking about him and Dalton battling for a draft position. You should not have 3 positions dedicated to quarterback especially when your starter is 26.

If Dinucci played great in preseason I could easily see him getting poached if he went to the practice squad. That being said if Dinucci played great I would still give the nod to Dalton as the backup unless he played horribly.

cern

Reaction score
If Dinucci played great in preseason I could easily see him getting poached if he went to the practice squad. That being said if Dinucci played great I would still give the nod to Dalton as the backup unless he played horribly.
I'm not sure, but weren't changes made regarding practice squads in latest cba? Changes that would protect our players more. Anyone.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well I don’t think he will play great in the preseason. He’s a 7th round rookie. Going to be tough for him to come in and have a impact worth getting a roster spot. But if he does.....then that’s a different discussion.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but weren't changes made regarding practice squads in latest cba? Changes that would protect our players more. Anyone.
I never heard that but that would suck if so. A player has a chance to make another teams roster but he gets stuck on your practice squad?

Rockdoc

Reaction score
Any QB injuries we keep Thorson. otherwise they hide Dinucci. Coach likes the kid has a relationship but doesnt want to lose him

quickccc

Reaction score
DeNucci is an obvious McCarthy pick over leftover Thorson. who anyone vaguely remembers anyway.
almost kinda of a unfair poll question.

Maybe even a better question isf if DeNucci even makes the roster and if the team decides to go with
two QBs on the roster while hoping Ben can go to PS.

hey if they eliminate preseason, we won't get a fair chance to even see Ben D' develop in the preseason
much like many other rookies, FA's and 2nd year players

:eek:

Creeper

Reaction score
It's going to be DeNucci and it won't be close. DeNucci is cool under pressure, throws easy and accurate. I don;t think he ever beats out Dak, but he definitely beats out Thorson. The more video of DeNucci is watch the more I like him.

Kaiser

Reaction score
It's going to be DeNucci and it won't be close. DeNucci is cool under pressure, throws easy and accurate. I don;t think he ever beats out Dak, but he definitely beats out Thorson. The more video of DeNucci is watch the more I like him.

I was pretty meh on him but after reading Sturm's writeup I think he could have beaten out Cooper Rush.

quickccc

Reaction score
DiNucci has intangibles. The level of competition was lower, so there’s a caution flag, but he wasn’t a dink and dunk passer but still managed a 71% completion rate last year, made really good decisions, has a strong arm and can get out of the pocket. What’s there not to like? He also has the opportunity to learn under McCarthy, Kellen Moore, Dak and Dalton.

I can’t wait to see the kid in the preseason.

Good points.
it may not be a question of DeNucci vs Thorson ..but more so Ben D' will have to flash and impress enough
to make the Cowboys brass force a decision to keep 3 QBs on the 55 roster .. that they can't afford to waive him Practice Squad ..much less another team pouching him from PS unit either.

Dalton may just be here for one lone year to get a better offer elsewhere- there's no guarantee he'll be here
next year - even at his age. Plus when u get a young, promising QBs with tools and potential, you hang onto
him. vs aging vet that could be just 2 years headed to retirement.

the only thing is i dunno how this preseason games ..or lack of ?? ..is gonna play out.
if they cut out the preseason how will be able to evaluate our rookies in game time action ?
:huh:

quickccc

Reaction score
Why would someone poach him? Nobody even wanted to draft him until the 7th round......if he's on practice squad he won't hit. If he's stellar in preseason then we are talking about him and Dalton battling for a draft position. You should not have 3 positions dedicated to quarterback especially when your starter is 26.

yet what if he is a pleasant surprise in camp and preseason (assuming there will be some preseason games)
what if he is savvy and poised beyond his rookie years. and shows that much impression and promise even so early on ? that's when u have to strongly consider keeping 3 QBs.
Since Dalton is only on a 1 year deal, could he seek an opportunity for an opening elsewhere (or more money) even at his age and limited tools ?

Garrett had no problem with carrying just 2 QBs with Cooprer Rush only backup, because we gambled
so big on dak's durability.
But could it be different with Mccarthys' preference for three QBs instead of just 2 ?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only one man was brave enough to disrespect the Nooch.

And may God rest his soul.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we do keep 3, who do you see winning that 3rd spot
It's hard to find the downside to DiNucci's game.

It was obvious that Mike White was too slow to pull the trigger.

It was obvious that Rush and Kellen Moore had limited arm strength.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
yet what if he is a pleasant surprise in camp and preseason (assuming there will be some preseason games)
what if he is savvy and poised beyond his rookie years. and shows that much impression and promise even so early on ? that's when u have to strongly consider keeping 3 QBs.
Since Dalton is only on a 1 year deal, could he seek an opportunity for an opening elsewhere (or more money) even at his age and limited tools ?

Garrett had no problem with carrying just 2 QBs with Cooprer Rush only backup, because we gambled
so big on dak's durability.
But could it be different with Mccarthys' preference for three QBs instead of just 2 ?
Dinucci is too far away to be a pleasant surprise but if he is then cut Dalton.

quickccc

Reaction score
Dinucci is too far away to be a pleasant surprise but if he is then cut Dalton.

I think you just keep 3 QBs on your roster.
You dont want to press him into immediate emergency action if you dont have to, since were so damn lucky to get this kind of immediate. game ready vet backup
on a one year rental on an experienced dalton you dont have to force Ben D".

Its like an undrafted Romo, hes flashing you some skills and potential but yet you know hes still green and needs some time down the road away.
But you can't dare exposing him on practice squad and risk him getting pouched.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think you just keep 3 QBs on your roster.
You dont want to press him into immediate emergency action if you dont have to, since were so damn lucky to get this kind of immediate. game ready vet backup
on a one year rental on an experienced dalton you dont have to force Ben D".

Its like an undrafted Romo, hes flashing you some skills and potential but yet you know hes still green and needs some time down the road away.
But you can't dare exposing him on practice squad and risk him getting pouched.
So what defensive linemen you cutting in favor of carrying 3 quarterbacks?