If we make the playoffs is Garrett safe?

Nav22

Reaction score
I think Garrett needs a playoff appearance to keep his job.

People are too hung up over Jerry’s quotes. Jerry will publicly support his guys 100% until he fires/cuts/trades them. Just like when he fired Wade in 2010.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
If Dallas had a real HC and OC, the division would basically already be won, maybe not mathematically but with Smith’s injury and a 2-3 game lead, Dallas would be a lock for the division right now. Too bad we have coaches that pissed 2-3 relatively easy wins away.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Back to back wins likely gets him extended...........if it took lighting a fire under him to perform the job he was hired to do he should be fired regardless of how this season ends........

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Only way Garrett gets fired is going to the Super Bowl.

Jerry has fired more Super Bowl winning coaches than any owner in NFL history.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agree, he's not going to do worse than 7-9 and the best thing he has going him is a boss looking for reasons to keep him. I still think Linehan is the fall guy. I think that was part of the plan in keeping him.

I think I can hear some of the excuses coming. "We didn't address the WR situation early enough and were a little blindsided by Witten's retirement". "Losing Yosemite was a real blow".

I think some underestimate Booger's desire to keep things just as they are within the team and his family.
Yea, Linehan is gone.

The excuses were already in before the season starts with receiving Corp and OL.

Nice to see someone has their finger on the pulse .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They are going to win the division largely by default given the injuries and implosions going on in Philly and Washington.

And they probably stand a good chance to get bounced early again in the playoffs.

So to most any rational person, it would still have Garrett on the hot seat. But not with the Jones family who has spent every waking second justifying Garrett's consistent employment. Once Garrett wins this crap division, Jerry and Stephen will sell that as if Garrett just won the SB and use it to justify his return in 2019.

And the cycle will just continue. We'll miss the 2019 playoffs but Jerry will say we are one year removed from the 2018 playoffs. And this wheel just keeps going round and round.
Making the playoffs after 3-5 start on the brink of a collapse will be a Euphoric ending for Jerry who will keep Jason and extend Dak regardless the results in playoffs.

Number1

Reaction score
Is Garrett's job safe if we make the playoffs? If we don't make the playoffs he's likely gone...or is he?

he's safe - they went for massive change (flipped half the O roster) and *hoped* it would gel by mid season

I can tell you what they have to do to make it work - either Gallup or Hurns or both have to produce

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garrett stays,Dak stays, and we will waste another year till senile Jerry fires them both....oh well the never ending saga at Big D.....
Making the playoffs is almost like the Super Bowl for Jerry now.

He can sell the heck out of mediocrity. And it’s enough to keep everything in place including Dak and Jason.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree with Couch Coach. We don’t even need to make playoffs. Just staying relevant is enough for Boss Hog the Football Idiot.

slick325

Reaction score
If they make the playoffs by winning out (finishing 11-5 plus a win against the Saints) or win 7 of the last 8 (to finish 10-6)...he will be safe no matter what happens in the playoffs IMO.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
The Jones' will own the Dallas Cowboys for the rest of time. What are you gonna do about it?

Ummmm.. Remain a fan and complain? yep, that about it. If I had 10 billion or so. I'd be cleaning out Garrett's office right now.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Ummmm.. Remain a fan and complain? yep, that about it. If I had 10 billion or so. I'd be cleaning out Garrett's office right now.

So you know that the Cowboys will never win again and you are going to choose to complain about them? I guess you are a bigger fan then me. If I had your powers I'd quit wasting my energy on them now and take up something I enjoy.

endersdragon

Reaction score
Let me answer your question with a question, what sort of coach wants to work for a franchise that is willing to fire their coach after a playoff birth. My guess would be not many.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Garrett just needs to get Jerry some very nice high stock hookers and a couple of bottles of Johnny Walker Blue & Black labels. He'll get extended another 5 years.

davidariust24

Reaction score
Is Garrett's job safe if we make the playoffs? If we don't make the playoffs he's likely gone...or is he?
If we make the playoffs he is back no doubt. If we end up less than 9-7 I think Jerry will call and enquire about lincoln riley from OU