If we miss out on the 3 early centers

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
... I wonder if Kansas' Dominic Puni might not be a better option there than some of the second-tier centers. Puni is a tackle who is going to have to play guard on the NFL level, where he doesn't have to deal with as much speed. He apparently showed the versatility in testing to play center as well, so it may be a case of a player who was used at a more valued position being better than players used at less-valued positions. His intelligence is noted as well as his "functional mobility" and strong anchor.

Just considering possibilities to keep from crying myself to sleep if we miss out or pass on JPJ, Barton and Frazier. That next tier of centers might be on Biadasz's level at least, but it seems like Puni could wind up being better than that level.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
BPA of T, C, NT, and LB (in that order) would be my priority with the first pick. Follow the scouting grades. RB round 4.

Carson

Reaction score
BPA of T, C, NT, and LB (in that order) would be my priority with the first pick. Follow the scouting grades. RB round 4.
I agree. I wouldn’t mind something like

RD1-JPJ
RD2-Payton Wilson
RD3-Sweat
RD4 - Trade back for a Ray Davis/Guerendo type

Gambit

Reaction score
We don't have a rd 4 to pick a RB of any grade scouts or otherwise.

T likely to be worst value at 24.

Might be a 3 T DT there and I'd pull the trigger on if we can't trade down.

Too soon for LB at 24.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
... I wonder if Kansas' Dominic Puni might not be a better option there than some of the second-tier centers. Puni is a tackle who is going to have to play guard on the NFL level, where he doesn't have to deal with as much speed. He apparently showed the versatility in testing to play center as well, so it may be a case of a player who was used at a more valued position being better than players used at less-valued positions. His intelligence is noted as well as his "functional mobility" and strong anchor.

Just considering possibilities to keep from crying myself to sleep if we miss out or pass on JPJ, Barton and Frazier. That next tier of centers might be on Biadasz's level at least, but it seems like Puni could wind up being better than that level.
If we truly want to upgrade our rushing offense, we have to draft one of those 3. Certainly we can found a starter in this draft, but it really isn’t going to move the needle so to speak.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
We don't have a rd 4 to pick a RB of any grade scouts or otherwise.

T likely to be worst value at 24.

Might be a 3 T DT there and I'd pull the trigger on if we can't trade down.

Too soon for LB at 24.
4th pick, wrong verbage. I agree, likely too soon for a LB there, but it depends how things shake out.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If we truly want to upgrade our rushing offense, we have to draft one of those 3. Certainly we can found a starter in this draft, but it really isn’t going to move the needle so to speak.
You got it. If the Cowboys truly want to upgrade the running game they are going to draft the center early.

morasp

Reaction score
I would go Van-Pran Granger and then probably Puni.

Strengths​

• Gritty and determined with three years of high-leverage snaps under his belt.
  • Keeps slide steps measured and choppy sliding to pass rusher.
  • Utilizes hand resets to turn the tables and overtake top positioning.
  • Hands are twitchy getting from snap to punch in the run game.
  • Powerful grip strength helps bring opponent tight and lock him into place.
  • Plays with above-average feel for run block positioning on first and second levels.
  • Success rate blocking linebackers helped spring long runs.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
I would go Van-Pran Granger and then probably Puni.

Strengths​

• Gritty and determined with three years of high-leverage snaps under his belt.
  • Keeps slide steps measured and choppy sliding to pass rusher.
  • Utilizes hand resets to turn the tables and overtake top positioning.
  • Hands are twitchy getting from snap to punch in the run game.
  • Powerful grip strength helps bring opponent tight and lock him into place.
  • Plays with above-average feel for run block positioning on first and second levels.
  • Success rate blocking linebackers helped spring long runs.
Same here. Leading into the draft process, it was all about him and JPJ. Still think he's a legit option.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Excellent point ......2019/2020 season, we were 5th in rushing.......Zeke had 1300+ yards. Since that time the ranking has fallen to the middle. Interestingly 2019/2020 was MM's first season as HC. I think I read a nugget a few weeks ago that as the Packers HC, he never had an RB finish in the top 10 rushing. My point is did Biadiaz (mp) hurt our rushing attack? I'm sure he did but he's not the only one. The last 3-4 years, we can also blame MM's scheme, Kellen Moore's play calling and last season Pollard was what we thought he would be. As matter of fact, would you believe me if I told you we had more rushing yards and attempts Kellen last year as OC than last season? Yes, the season MM said he wanted to "run the damn ball" after KM was fired.

So I understand the passion for using 24 to draft a C but I'm not sure he alone will improve our rushing offense by that much w/o MM being fully committed.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Excellent point ......2019/2020 season, we were 5th in rushing.......Zeke had 1300+ yards. Since that time the ranking has fallen to the middle. Interestingly 2019/2020 was MM's first season as HC. I think I read a nugget a few weeks ago that as the Packers HC, he never had an RB finish in the top 10 rushing. My point is did Biadiaz (mp) hurt our rushing attack? I'm sure he did but he's not the only one. The last 3-4 years, we can also blame MM's scheme, Kellen Moore's play calling and last season Pollard was what we thought he would be. As matter of fact, would you believe me if I told you we had more rushing yards and attempts Kellen last year as OC than last season? Yes, the season MM said he wanted to "run the damn ball" after KM was fired.

So I understand the passion for using 24 to draft a C but I'm not sure he alone will improve our rushing offense by that much w/o MM being fully committed.
We run an inside/zone rushing scheme. Pollard was clearly miscast as he was more of an ideal fit for an outside zone scheme, the one the 49ers/Dolphins employ. We can go back to when Frederick got sick, our rushing offense has never been the same. You look at the final 4 teams last season, 3 of them had elite centers, where the 49ers have an elite scheme. MM was hired when Zeke just wasn't the same player. We need to upgrade Center, find an inside runner that better fits this scheme.

Just go back and look at the dominate rushing years from Murray/Zeke, we had terrible defenses, but they were never exposed caused of how good we ran the football and controlled the clock. Run game travels and has the ability to close out games. DC's are figuring out how to slow down passing games, we need to counter that with a dominate rushing attack as we know Dak himself isn't good enough.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We run an inside/zone rushing scheme. Pollard was clearly miscast as he was more of an ideal fit for an outside zone scheme, the one the 49ers/Dolphins employ. We can go back to when Frederick got sick, our rushing offense has never been the same. You look at the final 4 teams last season, 3 of them had elite centers, where the 49ers have an elite scheme. MM was hired when Zeke just wasn't the same player. We need to upgrade Center, find an inside runner that better fits this scheme.

Just go back and look at the dominate rushing years from Murray/Zeke, we had terrible defenses, but they were never exposed caused of how good we ran the football and controlled the clock. Run game travels and has the ability to close out games. DC's are figuring out how to slow down passing games, we need to counter that with a dominate rushing attack as we know Dak himself isn't good enough.
I agree 100% ....I'm just saying the lack of rushing issues wasn't all the center's fault. Yes, it needs upgrading, we also need a better RB ( as stated ) and commitment from MM.

Hardline

Reaction score
Beax Limmer. Center from Arkansas could be a late round option.

Malhavoc

Reaction score

It‘s not only Center. As good as Tyron was last year, his decline in the run game was evident. Martin finally starting to show some decline. I really like Bass, and Richards. This scheme needs an anchor in the middle, and that’s why we have all the talk about JPJ and Barton.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree 100% ....I'm just saying the lack of rushing issues wasn't all the center's fault. Yes, it needs upgrading, we also need a better RB ( as stated ) and commitment from MM.
When MM has been elite runners, he has run the football. He was the Saints OC when Duece had a 1,600 yard season. I think it's about finding the right back to fit the scheme, elite run center and getting better blocking from the TE's. They also need Steele to revert back to that elite run blocking Tackle.

I know if healthy JPJ, Barton and possibly Frazier can become major upgrades at the position, but they need to find that runner who is a good fit for their inside/zone scheme. Not opposed to even drafting multiple backs.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It‘s not only Center. As good as Tyron was last year, his decline in the run game was evident. Martin finally starting to show some decline. I really like Bass, and Richards. This scheme needs an anchor in the middle, and that’s why we have all the talk about JPJ and Barton.
Totally agree about Tyron, we need to get younger and more athletic up front. Hoffman is a ps player who is better served as a backup. Taking a Center on day 3 isn't moving the needle at the position, might as well try Bass at the position then.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
That screams Biaz all over again, we need to upgrade the position not hold serve.
Barton will almost certainly be off the board. He’s going to check every box for every team needing an interior lineman. I think JPJ is going to be available. All this talk about his injury history. Do they pull the trigger ?