If we miss out on the 3 early centers

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
If we don’t land a center in round 1, our starting center will be Brock Hoffman. All in baby.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Barton will almost certainly be off the board. He’s going to check every box for every team needing an interior lineman. I think JPJ is going to be available. All this talk about his injury history. Do they pull the trigger ?
I think if they are able to obtain another pick his risk might be more attainable.

rambo2

Reaction score
If we don’t land a center in round 1, our starting center will be Brock Hoffman. All in baby.
It looks like they are going to draft a center. I think that Frazier gives them a chance of trading back to 27 to 34.

rambo2

Reaction score
This is pretty much where I’m at, but acquiring more of a 3rd then a 4th
Give me:
Jackson Powers-Johnson or Frazier
Payton Wilson
Sweat
Estime

I'll take those 4 and see what happens.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Give me:
Jackson Powers-Johnson or Frazier
Payton Wilson
Sweat
Estime

I'll take those 4 and see what happens.
We are seeing it the same. It's all about the trenches, that is what takes us to being a legitimate contender.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If we truly want to upgrade our rushing offense, we have to draft one of those 3. Certainly we can found a starter in this draft, but it really isn’t going to move the needle so to speak.
I agree, but I don't trust the Cowboys to do it. I could see them looking at how deep this draft is at center and thinking they could get one as good as Biadasz in the third and even in the fifth round. If we end up doing that, that's why I think Puni might be a good option. I think a lot of those centers from the third round on are likely to turn out to be another Biadasz. I would like to see us improve the position instead of just holding court.

My ideal is that we get a better center, we get a better runner for what McCarthy likes to do and Richards proves good enough at LT that we can keep Tyler at guard. Then, our running game goes back to being a strength with the power we have up the middle and takes some of the pressure off our passing game. Even though Elliott was in decline in 2022, our running game slipped from the 2022 level because of a change of approach with a running back who wasn't a fit for it. It would have been best if we were going to primarily try to pound away between the tackles for us to just let Pollard go and go find a back who fits that style of game.

I guess that's the one good thing about the Freeman signing. He is that kind of back. We just need to get a lead back who is more all-around than he is. But we also need our next Frederick, not our next Biadasz.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Totally agree about Tyron, we need to get younger and more athletic up front. Hoffman is a ps player who is better served as a backup. Taking a Center on day 3 isn't moving the needle at the position, might as well try Bass at the position then.
If we take a tackle in the first, and decide LT/LG between him and Tyler, I would be all for throwing Bass into the center mix, even if we drafted a center from the third round on. Doesn't mean he can do it, but we'll need all the competition we can get if we don't take a blue-chipper.

gimmesix

Reaction score
When MM has been elite runners, he has run the football. He was the Saints OC when Duece had a 1,600 yard season. I think it's about finding the right back to fit the scheme, elite run center and getting better blocking from the TE's. They also need Steele to revert back to that elite run blocking Tackle.

I know if healthy JPJ, Barton and possibly Frazier can become major upgrades at the position, but they need to find that runner who is a good fit for their inside/zone scheme. Not opposed to even drafting multiple backs.
I'm with you on multiple backs, especially if we don't take one until the third or later. We need to hit on the position, so at least take a couple of shots in that case. Even if we take one in the second, I'm not opposed to taking another because of the need.

morasp

Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out TJ Bass, MM has said they tried him at center and that he looked comfortable at it.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
It will be almost impossible for this team to thread the needle and get 4 impact players from this draft. IMO, we should consider ourselves lucky if we walk out of this draft with JPJ, Brooks, and Sweat in round 3. Big fan of Wilson, but if the choice is between he and Brooks I think they take Brooks.

morasp

Reaction score
It will be almost impossible for this team to thread the needle and get 4 impact players from this draft. IMO, we should consider ourselves lucky if we walk out of this draft with JPJ, Brooks, and Sweat in round 3. Big fan of Wilson, but if the choice is between he and Brooks I think they take Brooks.
If you mean in this upcoming season I would say impossible but if you mean w/i 3 seasons I think they could do it.

Tyler Smith
Jake Ferguson
Daron Bland
Damone Clark

Sam Williams TBD
Jalen Tolbert TBD

Malhavoc

Reaction score
If you mean in this upcoming season I would say impossible but if you mean w/i 3 seasons I think they could do it.

Tyler Smith
Jake Ferguson
Daron Bland
Damone Clark

Sam Williams TBD
Jalen Tolbert TBD
That was a terrific draft and just difficult to pull off. And we had more picks to work with.

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
I'd be happy with a center and 2 players to fix the front seven and stop the bleeding in the run game. That's my wish list for the first three picks. We need to let one of last year's back-ups play and address another needs.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'm with you on multiple backs, especially if we don't take one until the third or later. We need to hit on the position, so at least take a couple of shots in that case. Even if we take one in the second, I'm not opposed to taking another because of the need.
Remember, this day and age you need multiple backs anyway. Perhaps you pair up a power runner who more of a speed guy or visa versa.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out TJ Bass, MM has said they tried him at center and that he looked comfortable at it.
He did practice at Center, but they weren't confident enough in him to see any field time at the position.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It is very possible they are deciding which player to take, it would be interesting to see who they decide.

rambo2

Reaction score
I agree, but I don't trust the Cowboys to do it. I could see them looking at how deep this draft is at center and thinking they could get one as good as Biadasz in the third and even in the fifth round. If we end up doing that, that's why I think Puni might be a good option. I think a lot of those centers from the third round on are likely to turn out to be another Biadasz. I would like to see us improve the position instead of just holding court.

My ideal is that we get a better center, we get a better runner for what McCarthy likes to do and Richards proves good enough at LT that we can keep Tyler at guard. Then, our running game goes back to being a strength with the power we have up the middle and takes some of the pressure off our passing game. Even though Elliott was in decline in 2022, our running game slipped from the 2022 level because of a change of approach with a running back who wasn't a fit for it. It would have been best if we were going to primarily try to pound away between the tackles for us to just let Pollard go and go find a back who fits that style of game.

I guess that's the one good thing about the Freeman signing. He is that kind of back. We just need to get a lead back who is more all-around than he is. But we also need our next Frederick, not our next Biadasz.
The could possibly get lucky and get Barton and draft another center later like the Penn State or Miami guy. Then they just start their best 5 with Barton giving them flexibility.