If we miss out on the 3 early centers

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The could possibly get lucky and get Barton and draft another center later like the Penn State or Miami guy. Then they just start their best 5 with Barton giving them flexibility.
I wouldn't necessarily be against that because we need depth if nothing else. I'd be into drafting a player like Puni in the third and then another C in the sixth, though, if we're going to spend two picks on the spot. Puni has guard and center flex as well. If we draft Barton, JPJ or Frazier in the first, I would probably be less inclined to address C again later, though, and use the pick on a position we didn't address that well.

There is something to be said about eventually having to give your guys a shot, and I kind of feel that way about Richards and Bass, but we do want to create competition as well. The good thing about any of the top three is they are seen as guard options (and even possibly tackle in Barton's case), so it gives us a better chance of finding three viable options from C to LT out of five players (Tyler, Richards, Bass, Hoffman, JPJ/Barton/Frazier).

Cebrin

Reaction score
I would go Van-Pran Granger and then probably Puni.

Strengths​

• Gritty and determined with three years of high-leverage snaps under his belt.
  • Keeps slide steps measured and choppy sliding to pass rusher.
  • Utilizes hand resets to turn the tables and overtake top positioning.
  • Hands are twitchy getting from snap to punch in the run game.
  • Powerful grip strength helps bring opponent tight and lock him into place.
  • Plays with above-average feel for run block positioning on first and second levels.
  • Success rate blocking linebackers helped spring long runs.
I like him. He plays a little upright in pass protection sometimes, and doesn't use his feet to reset leverage, but his run blocking is really good. He's got quick feet, cuts lanes off, and is quite capable at the 2nd level. Looks like a smart player that just needs a few tweaks like Tyler Smith.

morasp

Reaction score
I like him. He plays a little upright in pass protection sometimes, and doesn't use his feet to reset leverage, but his run blocking is really good. He's got quick feet, cuts lanes off, and is quite capable at the 2nd level. Looks like a smart player that just needs a few tweaks like Tyler Smith.
I guess that's why he may be available later. I like that he started multiple seasons and has a little grit to him. After Zimmer got hired I saw an interview with Dave Campo and he thought we needed more players like that.

Cebrin

Reaction score
I guess that's why he may be available later. I like that he started multiple seasons and has a little grit to him. After Zimmer got hired I saw an interview with Dave Campo and he thought we needed more players like that.
Deep class, really. That's why he's down the list. He's strong, so he was able to get away with being upright in college, but good coaching can fix it.