If we win the coin toss, should we defer or take the first possesion?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not a clue. What he will do. I want the ball first. We are the number one scoring team in the league.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't really care. But prefer to have the ball in the 2nd half to start. But if not, that is fine.

However, if we win the toss and elect to receive, I do expect a complete meltdown in the game thread for the 1st 5 pages.
Even if SF wins the toss and defers, so we are on offense 1st, many will still have a meltdown about it and blame MM and even blame Jerry.
That’s why I never post during games. First of all I can’t concentrate what’s happening. Second of all people have your losing the first drive

Aven8

Reaction score
If we were a well oiled machine like earlier this season I want the ball. Score first and put the pressure on.

Having said that though with this team meaning SF I’m not sure I want them to get the ball first. In the first Rams game they did there signature halfback toss for like 10 straight plays to start that game and scored. Took like 8 minutes. I don’t like the sound of that either

JBS

Reaction score
Yeah but what if we don’t score early which is usually the case…

It’s not worth it.
When we don’t score early, we usually don’t have the offense on track by the first possession of the 1h either. I’m not saying to take the ball , I’m just saying that when the offense sucks, it sucks for a long stretch.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
When we don’t score early, we usually don’t have the offense on track by the first possession of the 1h either. I’m not saying to take the ball , I’m just saying that when the offense sucks, it sucks for a long stretch.
Just for the fun of it. They said nobody wanted to rest the starters last week. Throughout the league. Having the bye week was not a popular decision. It’s like the discussion does your backfield make your defense of line better or vice versa

Praxit

Reaction score
...for some reason it feels, getting ball 2nd half builds momentum again. Then again its nice to score first.

Techsass

Reaction score
I remember Jason saying he liked to receive the ball 1st because our offense was our stronger unit & you want to start the game showcasing your strength. That eventually changed, but it's always stuck with me.

I would defer.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Conventional wisdom is to defer, but we need points early so I think it’s better that we receive first.

I’m not worried. We usually lose the coin toss and start with the ball anyway.

I like the idea of getting points early and making them pass. But we never seem to score on our first drive. It's like we have to feel out the game to get going so if we aren't going to score, I want to get the ball first in the 2nd half when we are warmed up.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Who cares. Just win! .... & don't forget to put up those "garbage stats" Dak for your haters of course. :lmao:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Youve come around on a lot of topics lately..

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Defer. Hopefully the crowd is at full lather for that kick off and first 3 and out

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Take the ball show them we are attacking your secondary...News flash if the offense comes out flat we are in trouble...same as any other team playing another playoff team..a unit comes out flat and the other team doesnt gonna be a long day. Play your strengths to thier weakness ALL DAY...put thier offense in the hole and make Jimmy G keep up. Besides our D works when they have to pass.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Rather take the opening kick and put up 6 points after a 5 minute drive. I say 6 points because the Leg is a fiddy-fiddy story.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Defer…. We have a good defense they can set the tone. I feel more often than not our offense comes out flat the first possession