If You Don't Have Great A Great QB You Better Search Until You Find It

Status
Not open for further replies.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
It doesn’t matter how good of a roster you have around you.

It doesn’t matter how equal everything is.

It doesn’t matter who your coaches are.

In the modern day NFL if you don’t have great QB play you have nothing.

Purdy couldn’t have had a better roster around him, the same with a Jimmy G a few years ago. They both failed to the same man.

Mahomes has 3 playoff loses. Those are against Brady and Burrow.

Kwyn

Reaction score

Purdy couldn’t have had a better roster around him, the same with a Jimmy G a few years ago. They both failed to the same man.

Any thoughts about teams who did it without a “great” Mahomes/Brady type QB?

It certainly makes things a lot easier and i don’t have confidence Dak could win in a clutch post season moment, but I think with a strong enough supporting cast, and coaching, a “good” quarterback can get it done. It’s just harder and requires things to fall the right way.

Edit: thinking Foles, Stafford, Wilson, Flacco, even Eli.

Other than that, you’re looking at Brees, Manning, Mahomes and Brady for like the last 20 years.

Last edited:

1942willys

Reaction score

Stafford
FLacco
Eli
foles

there are others which make your claim rather ridiculous

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Mahomes is fantastic but giving him all the credit is a bit lazy.

The Chiefs defense held a very good Niners offense to 19 points in the regulation. After giving up 10 points on the road to the Ravens.

Meanwhile, our defense keeps giving up 21 points in the first quarter of the playoffs. lol

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score

The Chiefs defense held a very good Niners offense to 19 points in the regulation. After giving up 10 points on the road to the Ravens.

Meanwhile, our defense keeps giving up 21 points in the first quarter of the playoffs. lol
Spags and their defense has been criminally underrated past few years. Meanwhile ours feasts on a bottom feeders which bloats their stats.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

The 49ers defense was great also.

That’s where Mahomes matters.

phildadon86

Reaction score
The 49ers defense was great also.

That’s where Mahomes matters.
Mahomes is already on pace to claim the GOAT title.

With that being said lets be serious here for a second. Kyle Shanhan is the reason Purdy wasnt hoisting the Lombardi yesterday. Not Mahomes lol. Not taking anything at all away from him but my God Kyle sucks in the second half of games. Decision making, tactics, all of it. Just sucks.

quickccc

Reaction score
oh yeah, .. ." great " QBs are just falling off the nearest apple trees for the pickings .., right ..?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

It certainly makes things a lot easier and i don’t have confidence Dak could win in a clutch post season moment, but I think with a strong enough supporting cast, and coaching, a “good” quarterback can get it done. It’s just harder and requires things to fall the right way.

Other than that, you’re looking at Brees, Manning, Mahomes and Brady for like the last 20 years.
There’s always outliers, but those are rare.

You're better off finding an elite QB than you are finding an outlier.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes you need a great QB. But without that great chiefs D keeping them in the game all night, they don’t win that game. Put it this way…if we had Mahomes vs the packers in January, we only lose 48-45.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I agree you should always be looking to find a difference maker at the game's most important position.

But you can win with a little lesser QB as long as that guy is a true competitor.

You can't win with a QB who is physically & mentally limited and has the competitive spirit of a fat hamster that has lived it's entire life in captivity with everything provided for it.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

Ah well, okay. The Cowboys should not try to find a great QB. Why bother, right?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I agree you should always be looking to find a difference maker at the game's most important position.

But you can win with a little lesser QB as long as that guy is a true competitor.

You can't win with a QB who is physically & mentally limited and has the competitive spirit of a fat hamster that has lived it's entire life in captivity with everything provided for it.
What’s easier to find?

A great QB or an outlier?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Stafford
FLacco
Eli
foles

there are others which make your claim rather ridiculous
Those are outliers. The vast majority of SB QB winners were high draft picks.

Your attempt to use outliers to disprove the rule is ridiculous.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

Are you suggesting we try the outlier route instead of the great QB route?

What do you thinks easier to find?

A great QB or an outlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.