If You Don't Have Great A Great QB You Better Search Until You Find It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
21 points in the first quarter? The game against GB at the end of the first quarter the score was 7-0. At the end of the second quarter the score was 27 - 7. That's with 2 INT's one of which was a pick 6. So 16 points came off 2 turn overs that if it wasn't the case would have kept the score at 13 - 7 with the Cowboys getting the ball back to start the 3rd quarter.
I was obviously embellishing a bit to be funny and emphasize my point. The defense was trash and this isn't the only playoff game in recent years where that has been the case. Bad defense and slow starts on offense have been a theme.

1942willys

Reaction score
KC won because they made one more play than SF
That was Mahomes

IT could easily have gone the other way

BUT Purdy is clearly better than Dak; we need better than Dak
BUT WE NEED A LOT MORE

You look at the way both teams fought in that game and tell me:
Can you Honestly see the Dallas Cowboys as they are now being that tough?

1942willys

Reaction score
I was obviously embellishing a bit to be funny and emphasize my point. The defense was trash and this isn't the only playoff game in recent years where that has been the case. Bad defense and slow starts on offense have been a theme.
THE ENTIRE TEAM STANK FROM THE HC down

Maybe Ferguson and our kickers were OK but that is about it

which is why keeping MM is so typical of the atmosphere of entitlement and flash and no substance and no grit

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The defense was trash and the offense was trash when it mattered. What you saw there was a defense that was struggling and an offense that basically screwed the defense to compound the problems.

1942willys

Reaction score
Mahomes would not have had the chance for that game winning drive without their great D holding the niners to 4 FGs.
Exactly, Mahomes would never have been in the position to make those plays if the KC defense had not played so well

75boyz

Reaction score
It doesn’t matter how good of a roster you have around you.

It doesn’t matter how equal everything is.

It doesn’t matter who your coaches are.

In the modern day NFL if you don’t have great QB play you have nothing.

Purdy couldn’t have had a better roster around him, the same with a Jimmy G a few years ago. They both failed to the same man.

Mahomes has 3 playoff loses. Those are against Brady and Burrow.
Great post.
I'm good with the holistic team opinion to a point on this board.
But when all the minimizing of the QB position and all the outlier stories of Hostetler and Foles become a little too much is when I'll chime in.
The central job description of every single NFL General Manager is to find THAT guy at QB.

It's why they are the highest paid.

And, more often than not, overall team success can to a large degree be dependent upon how this one position performs.

And EVERYTHING else on the team will have its trickle down effect from him.

It's modern football reality.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Mahomes is already on pace to claim the GOAT title.

With that being said lets be serious here for a second. Kyle Shanhan is the reason Purdy wasnt hoisting the Lombardi yesterday. Not Mahomes lol. Not taking anything at all away from him but my God Kyle sucks in the second half of games. Decision making, tactics, all of it. Just sucks.
Which I always thought was funny that DQ took all the heat on that Atlanta Super Bowl. Yeah, I get it, he is the HC, but Shanahan's offense disappeared that 2nd half.

Creeper

Reaction score
Let me throw this question out there. Was Aikman ever as good as Mahomes? Was Aikman great or did he team make him great? Aikman was still a young man in 1996. He was only 31 in 1997 when Dallas went 6-10 and missed the playoffs.

I think the Chiefs have an excellent defense and Patrick Mahomes and both contributed heavily towards their Super Bowl win last night. The 1990s Cowboys won because they had a great team, but both teams played with a tremendous amount of confidence, or "swagger".

I don't think we need Patrick Mahomes or something like him to win, but we definitely need a stronger defense. Chasing after the next Patrick Mahomes is a waste of time. We probably won't even see him when he comes up in the draft. The Cowboys only path to the Super Bowl it so build the defense and improve the OL.

Yoshimitsu

Lurch
Reaction score
I hope Lance gets better and gets a chance here but if this team would draft QB every other year that would boost those chances but we have incompetent management. We haven't had a QB since Troy that could be considered elite. Jerry's track records of QBs are pretty bad but Aikman was a top draft pick and we haven't picked a QB that high.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Let me throw this question out there. Was Aikman ever as good as Mahomes? Was Aikman great or did he team make him great? Aikman was still a young man in 1996. He was only 31 in 1997 when Dallas went 6-10 and missed the playoffs.

I think the Chiefs have an excellent defense and Patrick Mahomes and both contributed heavily towards their Super Bowl win last night. The 1990s Cowboys won because they had a great team, but both teams played with a tremendous amount of confidence, or "swagger".

I don't think we need Patrick Mahomes or something like him to win, but we definitely need a stronger defense. Chasing after the next Patrick Mahomes is a waste of time. We probably won't even see him when he comes up in the draft. The Cowboys only path to the Super Bowl it so build the defense and improve the OL.
It sounds to me that if you had Andy Reid’s ear in 2017 you’d have told him to just make the defense better and improve the OL instead of trading up for a QB.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Yep Mountain, your central point is somehow being missed.

The lead in of your OP with "All things being equal" is flying over the heads of well respected posters.

Oh well.
Your OP is spot on brother.
You switch Mahomes and Purdy last night and it’s a 49ers win.

Status
Not open for further replies.