If you had it to do all over with Romo and Dak in 2016

Hardline

Reaction score
No, let’s get something straight right now!Oline & Zeke were lights out that year.Dak just had to drive the bus.Romo,health permitted,would have given Dallas a much better chance to move on.No if’s &’s or but’s about it.
This right here.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Romo hurt his back in the offseason playing golf ........ the next hit might have crippled him.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One moment of bad luck doomed us for another 6 years +
Does anyone remember Romo having problems in the Red zone?
Does anyone remember our offense having issues scoring???
Nah....didn't think so....

Ken

Reaction score
That's a good point. Dak probably does have leadership qualities that Romo never had. But then again, Dak has never come close to being the passer that Romo was IMO.
Except he threw for more yards and Tds in the GB playoff loss than Romo ever did in any playoff game he ever played.

Ken

Reaction score
That’s not saying much as the Cowboys haven’t seen too many playoff games in the last 26-27 yrs.
Correct. Which is why those clamoring for Romo make no sense. He had plenty of chances.

Proof

Reaction score
It did not matter because Romo was a hit away from IR every play in every game.

Romo was a much better quarterback than he will ever get credit for being, but at that point his body was just no longer reliable enough to count on him for a full season.

it wasn't a full season though, it was the stretch run. and if he happens to be injured again, you still have dak waiting in the wings. i supported whatever decision they made, and the momentum was pretty crazy..... but it would have been nice to see how Tony performed and I hate that he was just gone.

Proof

Reaction score
Correct. Which is why those clamoring for Romo make no sense. He had plenty of chances.

probably because he had matured into a much better qb at the tail end of his career, and the 2016 team was pretty damn talented lol. it's not rocket science

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Romo got better w/ age.Unfortunately his health didn’t.
Maybe Dak can follow that pattern minus the injuries.

Ken

Reaction score
Romo got better w/ age.Unfortunately his health didn’t.
Maybe Dak can follow that pattern minus the injuries.
All qbs get better with more time on task. I expect Dak to get to the level of mastery these next few years. He has shown signs of it.

Romo reached mastery level and his body failed him.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
All qbs get better with more time on task. I expect Dak to get to the level of mastery these next few years. He has shown signs of it.

We can only hope.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Fair question. But that was an elite OL and Zeke at his best that year. I would have taken the chance and if Romo faltered again, then you put Dak back in.

i hear you but Tony was really breaking something every time he was on the field at that point. Hard to count on a qb who can’t make it through a game.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score

A mere 10 year window to prove himself!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Romo was 100% healthy and cleared to play.
Romo was the superior QB and gave us our best chance to win.
I would only worry about a broken down Romo if he was actually re-injured. There was no reason he shouldn't have gotten his starting job back.

I agree with this ......somewhat. Riding Dak through the regular season was the right thing IMO. He playing too well to upset that but Garrett, Stephen and Jerry all jumped the gun announcing this was NOW Dak's team in the middle of the season. There was no reason not to leave the door open in case you needed Romo's experience for the playoffs. Honestly, I thought/expected them to ride Dak until his inexperience showed in a playoff game. I've always said, a healthy Romo was better than Dak but his body didn't have a full season left. However, he could have easily won a couple of playoff games once Dak struggled.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I was done with Romo after 2012, so 2016 should not be part of a do over for me.

TheCritic

Reaction score
And think about this. By leaving Dak in as the starter, maybe just maybe there was a downside to it. Ever since Romo went down in that preseason game, Dak has never been challenged as a starter. Romo at least had to carry the water for his first few years in the league. Who knows, maybe Dak would be a better QB today if he had spent more time as a backup.