If you had it to do all over with Romo and Dak in 2016

Swagger

Reaction score
In fact , Romo should have been asked to start the last game ( instead of last possession) and see if he can survive at least one half of the game and if he played well enough to lead them to victory , should have been given the play off game , I believe the inexperience and slow start ( which has become Dak trade mark now ) is what caused us to lose that playoff game, even though dak came back and we got the game tied , we left enough time for GB - AR miracle to happen .
Nail on the head

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Then why not give Romo his starting job back then? Next play he gets laid out next game you go back to Dak.

Romo was asking for his starting job back, what would it have hurt to let him have it back and if he gets hurt you go back to Dak, Romo then retires, and there are no lingering questions hanging around forever and Dak is probably more well received by the fan base.

Make no mistake, a lot of the Dak hate has to do with the fact that he basically took Romo's job without actually competing for it, the job was just given to him over Romo. A lot of Cowboy fans will always hate Dak for that reason alone.
I agree with everything in your post except the last paragraph.

Real Cowboy fans wouldnt have a problem with Dak being the starter and handed the job if he actually was the superior QB.

I mean compare this drive to the the two drives that Dak led before Romo came into the game

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
If Romo had anything left or even the will to get back on the field, he would have kept playing instead of retiring. If he was as great as you guys pretend he was, he would have easily found another job leading a SB contender. The fact is he was done, and he didn’t have the will to keep playing. GB would have buried him again.
He only wanted to play for the Cowboys. Same as Dez

sunalsorises

Reaction score
All things equal, Romo was the correct choice. He forgot more about being the Cowboys QB than Dak had learned at that point. All things were not equal, though, and no one from the team has complained about it since except maybe Dez; possibly Beasley.

Swagger

Reaction score
All things equal, Romo was the correct choice. He forgot more about being the Cowboys QB than Dak had learned at that point. All things were not equal, though, and no one from the team has complained about it since except maybe Dez; possibly Beasley.
Well they want to get paid - don't bite the hand that feeds and be a good soldier...

pansophy

Reaction score
No rookie has ever won a Super Bowl, so Romo should have been given his job back in the playoffs. Plus seeing Dak lead the Cowboys to a 13-3 record would have motivated Romo.

I truly believe that if Romo was allowed to start in the playoffs, we would have won the SB that year.

It's amazing how Garrett always talked about creating competition, but didn't Dak and Romo compete against one another. Because as they say.... pressure creates diamonds.
I felt this way at the time. I don't know if we would have won the super bowl with our defense, but we certainly would have had a better shot. That said, it was the 2nd season in a row that Romo missed significant time and Dak was having a record rookie year. Given how terrible it was during the years between Aikman and Romo, I can't really blame the organization for seeing a chance at a smooth QB transition and taking it.

LocoBates

Reaction score
Maybe because he was playing against scrubs in a glorified pre-season game where the other team was trying to lose for draft position, perhaps? I mean, it could be that.

Which makes me wonder, if the starting QB couldn't score a blip against scrubs determined to lose to get better draft position, what would make the FO and HC think that same QB can beat GB?

Maybe you forgot that in that game the starting QB for the Cowboys had scored exactly (and let me quote the official NFL scoreboard ) "0.00" TD vs those Eagles "scrubs"? Not only he didn't score a TD, he looked awful and the Cowboys merely managed to score 3 points until Romo came to the field and gave #4 a free masterclass on how to play QB
Also, you selectively left out the fact that Romo's offense in that possession didn't have Zeke or Tyron Smith or Ron Leary, so.. talk about scrubs!

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I can go back to the fall of 2016 I should also have the capability of adjusting the destination date to April of that year and re-do the 4th round.

LocoBates

Reaction score
Rodgers was the better quarterback. Dak played a great game. Just don’t see how a broken down Romo could have played better then Dak. The reason why we lost the game was because Rodgers completed a 4th and 20 pass that only he could have completed.

Nooope. I mean it was a great pass and an awesome catch allowed by a terrible coverage (or lack of) but we knew our defense was bad since the beginning of the season, the only way to win that game is by keeping up with the other offense (like the shootout Romo had with Maning) The reason why we lost against the worst defense GB ever had in decades is because the Cowboys QB and Offense couldn't score a TD in the first half against the worst defense in 30 years! plain and simple. GB let off the gas pedal in the second half and got a scare for easing up too early.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You have a conversation with romo. And you get him a couple games before the playoffs to get ready but on a very short leash.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Romo would have given them the best chance of postseason success. Play him the last few games to get back into a rhythm. Whether or not he got injured again is irrelevant, Dak could have come back in with lots of rookie experience behind him. Dallas dropped the ball on that decision.

I am not saying that Romo would have advanced them further but Dak slowed down a bit around week 12(I think) and no rookie QB is ready for playoff football.

Water under the bridge now……

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
If we can put aside the Dak vs. Romo ability/talent part of this debate, remember the 2016 Cowboys started 0-1 and then won 11 games in a row with Dak. Just about any (competent) coaching staff would want to do nothing to upset the chemistry of the team at that point. It wasn't worth the risk.

Even if Dak graciously stepped aside and let Romo return to the helm, remember Romo would have had to knock off three months of rust (and more, considering he missed so much of 2015). That would have led to some losses. And then the locker room would start to divide into pro-Dak and pro-Romo factions, and the season would have fell apart long before the playoffs anyway.

Just my take on the subject.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
No, let’s get something straight right now!Oline & Zeke were lights out that year.Dak just had to drive the bus.Romo,health permitted,would have given Dallas a much better chance to move on.No if’s &’s or but’s about it.
Health permitting is the key phase.
Man was held together by duct tape towards the end.
Respected Romo he gave his all, body just broke down

LocoBates

Reaction score
If I can go back to the fall of 2016 I should also have the capability of adjusting the destination date to April of that year and re-do the 4th round.

I don't care much about the 4th round, not a problem if they did it. Great if they found a good backup QB in the 4th round.

My problem is with the way the 4th rounder was given the starting job for all season AND post season. Not because #9 is better than #4 blah blah blah.... , but because some years earlier Broncos showed the perfect blueprint on how to drive most of the season with an unknown rookie that the league didn't know how to play against and in post season switched to the experienced QB (Maning) whose body was not as perfect as years before (actually Maning came off injury just in time for playoffs) but had all the experience and skills to make a run for it in the post season.... and they won the SB.
Not saying Cowboys could've won the SB.... but we will never know. At least for sure win vs GB

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I'm convinced if Kellen Moore hadn't got hurt in preseason.....he would have been your starter...and might still be your starter now. You don't throw for 400+ and 3tds in your 2nd home start....without being a stud.

:popcorn:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Going back to 2016.

Even though Romo probably would have crumbled on the next sack he took, a part of me will always wonder what would have happened if Romo had been given a chance to gain his starting job back during the second half of the 2016 season.

Not saying that there was a chance in hell of that ever happening, but I do believe that if Romo had gotten the opportunity and if he could somehow have stayed healthy for the rest of the season, I do somehow believe he would have taken the Cowboys to the SB.

Something about that one series drive he had against the Eagles that made it look too easy. He looked like he was playing golf.

Knowing now that Dak was going to become just an above average QB, any regrets for not giving Romo one last shot?

Would have liked to have seen it, but most likely, we would now be asking what if we had stuck with Dak that season. Truth is that we weren't going far with Garrett as coach no matter who was at quarterback. Too many fans want to blame the quarterback, but that's rarely been our (main) problem. Again, if teams can win with QBs like Dilfer, Hostetler, Rypien and even Eli Manning can win a Super Bowl, then it was possible for Romo and it is possible with Prescott. It's up to the GM and coach to build the team it takes to win, and that's been our greatest weakness.

BIGS87

Reaction score
Should of started Romo all day!!! Total blown call by the jones and garret!

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
"but romo hurt my feelings and I cried like a baby after the bobbled kick. Even now I look back and cry about it. Then he started girls and not me and went Hollywood. Dak likes guys like zeke, collins, and me. I like dak. "

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I WANT ROMO BACK!!!
n-Ea-RYSsf9-Iiqs.gif

NOW!!!
Screenshot-20170117-154629.jpg

I DON'T CARE IF HE'S FRAGILE AND ALWAYS GETS HURT!!! I WANT MY QB BACK!!!!
RUc-HXDGWCC8w-M.gif

:lmao::laugh::lmao::laugh::lmao: