If you had it to do all over with Romo and Dak in 2016

NotForLong

Reaction score
The only thing I'd do different in 2016 are the first two rounds of the draft. The team had a stacked offensive line and were in prime position to be competitive still. Instead they wasted a top 4 pick on a RB and a second round pick on a guy that couldn't even contribute that season.
I 100% agree with you if we weren't gonna put Romo back in. . .but if the plan was to play Romo . . .Zeke was the weapon to put the Cowboys over the top

NotForLong

Reaction score
Was Romo going to stop the Packers from putting together 4 touchdown drives of 75 yards or more in the playoff game?

Would he have stopped them from getting into FG range in 30 seconds to win it at the end?

The Cowboys have never won a playoff game when allowing 30+ points, no matter who played QB.
You do realize the game would have played out completely differently if Romo played?

NotForLong

Reaction score
I disagree Jones was thinking short-term about Prescott. The 2016 playoffs? Yes. That season's euphoria had Jones as mesmerized as a considerable percentage of the fanbase but not foreseeing the necessity of eventually paying Prescott? I don't think so.

By October of 2016, anyone who had ever paid ANY attention to Jones mannerisms "knew" he saw Prescott as his franchise's long-term solution at quarterback. Even Romo knew his time was done in Dallas.

Long-term meant signing Prescott to a franchise quarterback caliber contract down the road. Contracts go up in compensation. Prescott was destined to land a contract that exceeded Romo's in relative value.

In my opinion, Jones saw Prescott as Romo's successor in getting him Lombardi trophies. I do not think Romo's contract at the time was a meaningful financial or salary cap consideration inside his head.

Going with his gut is a large part of Jones' mental makeup. I think he saw Prescott as the much younger, better option at the position and nothing would stop him from making that assumption a reality.
I think you give Jerry too much credit.

Jerry thought he was a genius because he drafted Dak in the 4th and the Eagles had to pay a king's ransom to draft Wentz

khiladi

Reaction score
Dak had issues on 2016 and completely sucked against the Vikings and Giants, showing the same tendencies he always had against your defenses.

Dak is better now than he ever was, which is still a first-read QB that can’t get through his later progressions and throws mediocre against zones.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Was Romo going to stop the Packers from putting together 4 touchdown drives of 75 yards or more in the playoff game?

Would he have stopped them from getting into FG range in 30 seconds to win it at the end?

The Cowboys have never won a playoff game when allowing 30+ points, no matter who played QB.
Romo would have lit the GB mash unit secondary up, like Ryan did the next week.

Romo wouldn't have panicked and spiked the ball with 49 seconds left, settling for a 52 yard field goal and leaving 35 seconds left for Rogers.

That's the difference experience makes.

khiladi

Reaction score
Ironic that Dak fans continue to use his injuries as reasons the team continued to waddle in mediocrity, while they call Romo continuously as fragile. If Romo is fragile, what is Dak these days?

Dak wouldn’t have survived a day under Garrett, the OC and in that offense.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Dak had issues on 2016 and completely sucked against the Vikings and Giants, showing the same tendencies he always had against your defenses.

Dak is better now than he ever was, which is still a first-read QB that can’t get through his later progressions and throws mediocre against zones.
I would say Da k was terrible during the Ravens game right after he got the endorsement to be the starter

NotForLong

Reaction score
Ironic that Dak fans continue to use his injuries as reasons the team continued to waddle in mediocrity, while they call Romo continuously as fragile. If Romo is fragile, what is Dak these days?

:hammer:Exactly

Its hilarious . . .even after Dak denies them they still want to attribute injuries to him

They are so dense and delusional

khiladi

Reaction score
I 100% agree with you if we weren't gonna put Romo back in. . .but if the plan was to play Romo . . .Zeke was the weapon to put the Cowboys over the top

And that’s who Zeke was drafted for anyways, which people continue to fail to realize when criticizing the pick as opposed to Ramsey. Most of these folk are probably the same ones saying it was a mistake to not resign Murray to a big contract.

Yeah, it sucks now when Dallas wasted Zeke’s best years training Dak. That’s how much of an impact Zeke and the RG were, when Dallas was essentially a playoff team with mediocre QB play.

There is no telling how much damage that pair with the OL could have done in that window of time.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you give Jerry too much credit.

Jerry thought he was a genius because he drafted Dak in the 4th and the Eagles had to pay a king's ransom to draft Wentz
Give him too much credit? Jones exhausted his opportunity as general manager by the end of the 1990's. A more thoughtful (and less narcissist) owner would have sought out a qualified replacement and at least TRIED a different football perspective than his own.

Sure, Jones has guilty of that poor ownership decision-making but even the worst general manager in any sport negotiates contracts between franchise and player. It is a basic job duty. So, I am giving Jones "too much credit" after seeing Jones gush over Prescott during the first two months of the 2016 season and surmising (correctly) he would throw his full support behind his rookie fourth round draft pick? And subsequently accepting Jones would pay Prescott high dollar since he had a proven history of latching onto young players like a blood-sucking leech he labels as brilliant choices of his?

Okay.

NotForLong

Reaction score
And that’s who Zeke was drafted for anyways, which people continue to fail to realize when criticizing the pick as opposed to Ramsey. Most of these folk are probably the same ones saying it was a mistake to not resign Murray to a big contract.

Yeah, it sucks now when you wasted Zeke’s best years training Dak. There is no telling how much damage that pair with the OL could have done in that window of time.
:hammer:
Man I am so glad you are here to continuously set the record straight

NotForLong

Reaction score
Give him too much credit? Jones exhausted his opportunity as general manager by the end of the 1990's. A more thoughtful (and less narcissist) owner would have sought out a qualified replacement and at least TRIED a different football perspective than his own.

Sure, Jones has guilty of that poor ownership decision-making but even the worst general manager in any sport negotiates contracts between franchise and player. It is a basic job duty. So, I am giving Jones "too much credit" after seeing Jones gush over Prescott during the first two months of the 2016 season and surmising (correctly) he would throw his full support behind his rookie fourth round draft pick? And subsequently accepting Jones would pay Prescott high dollar since he had a proven history of latching onto young players like a blood-sucking leech he labels as brilliant choices of his?

Okay.
:huh:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Dak is a gimp today afraid to run and without Romo's mental or arm talents .......Oh man Jerry got a real bargain here!!!!:banghead:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I try avoiding Prescott melodrama but this observation is undeniably true. During Romo's tenure, there was forum members (like me) who discussed the real scientific reasons behind any sports injury. Such discussion was downplayed or dismissed as both immaterial and restricted solely to players "like" Romo.

Then Prescott, playing one of the most physical impactful sports concerning the human body, suffered a compound fracture and dislocation of his right ankle. Prescott literally held up his right leg with his hands and his <expletive> foot looked like a dead duck. Not a joke. Gruesome reality.

Prescott was the incidental replacement of an injured Romo, who had been judged fragile. Then Prescott sustains a season-ending injury. What did forum members, who had advocated for YEARS (which was fully their right) in the team gaining a replacement for Romo's so-called fragility, say as Prescott was carted off the field?

Crickets.

That's irony in a nutshell.

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
For the first time, I am weighing in on this topic, although it has been brought up before, ad nauseum. I believe that we would have won that playoff game against the Packers with Romo; and he would have given us the best chance for us to go the SB that year. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise. This has nothing to do with Dak -- I admired the way he hung in there and rallied the team in the second half. But the reason I give the nod to Romo over Dak is one observation I am surprised hasn't been raised in this thread and his name is Scott Linehan. He did Dak no favor in that game with much of his play calling. I wanted Linehan fired after that game, but of course it took another two seasons for the Jones cartel to get rid of this bum. The reason I believe Romo would have been the better QB in that game, is because he had the wisdom and experience to know that half the plays called by the OC were crap, and he would have audibled out of most of them. That alone would have prevented us from being down 21-3 early. We will never know but the decision not to play Romo will always irk me -- he deserved a better ending.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Personally, I have always enjoyed reading or hearing the counter-argument that rookie starting quarterbacks are rarely drafted by teams good enough to reach and win Super Bowls. That is undeniably true.

In my opinion, the 2016 Dallas Cowboys were a good team with a tangible opportunity to reach and possibly win the Super Bowl but not with a rookie quarterback. So I guess my question to anyone posing the counter-argument would be: "Did you, in your opinion, believe Dallas would end up as the Super Bowl winner or runner-up that season with a rookie quarterback?"