If you had it to do all over with Romo and Dak in 2016

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Personally, I have always enjoyed reading or hearing the counter-argument that rookie starting quarterbacks are rarely drafted by teams good enough to reach and win Super Bowls. That is undeniably true.

In my opinion, the 2016 Dallas Cowboys were a good team with a tangible opportunity to reach and possibly win the Super Bowl but not with a rookie quarterback. So I guess my question to anyone posing the counter-argument would be: "Did you, in your opinion, believe Dallas would end up as the Super Bowl winner or runner-up that season with a rookie quarterback?"

The Dallas Cowboys weren't going to get to the Super Bowl with that defense before you even get to the quarterback question.

And the rookie QB question is not even a good slant. You're telling me that if Kellen Moore was the only other QB available, we would roll with him because "no rookie QB has ever won the Super Bowl"?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I try avoiding Prescott melodrama but this observation is undeniably true. During Romo's tenure, there was forum members (like me) who discussed the real scientific reasons behind any sports injury. Such discussion was downplayed or dismissed as both immaterial and restricted solely to players "like" Romo.

Then Prescott, playing one of the most physical impactful sports concerning the human body, suffered a compound fracture and dislocation of his right ankle. Prescott literally held up his right leg with his hands and his <expletive> foot looked like a dead duck. Not a joke. Gruesome reality.

Prescott was the incidental replacement of an injured Romo, who had been judged fragile. Then Prescott sustains a season-ending injury. What did forum members, who had advocated for YEARS (which was fully their right) in the team gaining a replacement for Romo's so-called fragility, say as Prescott was carted off the field?

Crickets.

That's irony in a nutshell.
If we accept the widespread narrative that Dak's terrible performance in the win or go home game against Philly in 19 was a result of a shoulder injury, and that his drop off and resulting disappointing end to 21 was because of a lingering calf/shoulder injury then we have to acknowledge that his injuries have cost the team for 3 consecutive seasons, and counting.

Is it time for the dreaded label....

NotForLong

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys weren't going to get to the Super Bowl with that defense before you even get to the quarterback question.

And the rookie QB question is not even a good slant. You're telling me that if Kellen Moore was the only other QB available, we would roll with him because "no rookie QB has ever won the Super Bowl"?

Moore only scenario:

No thats not it at all. . . we are saying stay with the Rookie even though Theres a 0% chance of him winning a championship because thats all you got

Actual scenario based in reality:

Bench the rookie . . . Duh!!!!!

NotForLong

Reaction score
If Romo had anything left or even the will to get back on the field, he would have kept playing instead of retiring. If he was as great as you guys pretend he was, he would have easily found another job leading a SB contender. The fact is he was done, and he didn’t have the will to keep playing. GB would have buried him again.
You either have a bad memory or selective memory either way let me refresh your memory as to what happened.

If Romo was released instead of Jerry holding on to him . . . Romo would had been a Bronco or at the very least a Texan . . .

https://nypost.com/2017/03/29/jerry-jones-is-completely-screwing-tony-romo/

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kellen Moore was not a veteran playable option in 2016 after sustaining a season-ending leg injury. Romo was the actual veteran option at the time. However, you pose the question.

My opinion? The answer is yes. Start the veteran. If the veteran underperforms, you replace him with the rookie. The switch can occur before or during a game, just as it has actually happened when the situation has surfaced in the sport at all its levels throughout history. Additionally, the switch could be mandated due to injury. So, Moore sustaining an injury on the first play during a game in the regular or postseason (as have others constantly stated ad nauseum would have happened to Romo in that situation) would not have excluded Prescott from replacing him.

Verdict

Reaction score
Going back to 2016.

Even though Romo probably would have crumbled on the next sack he took, a part of me will always wonder what would have happened if Romo had been given a chance to gain his starting job back during the second half of the 2016 season.

Not saying that there was a chance in hell of that ever happening, but I do believe that if Romo had gotten the opportunity and if he could somehow have stayed healthy for the rest of the season, I do somehow believe he would have taken the Cowboys to the SB.

Something about that one series drive he had against the Eagles that made it look too easy. He looked like he was playing golf.

Knowing now that Dak was going to become just an above average QB, any regrets for not giving Romo one last shot?
Should have started Romo. I said it at the time, and I still believe it was the right call. Dak sure looks very weak at times. Better build a string cast around him if we want to win games. It starts with OL.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should have started Romo. I said it at the time, and I still believe it was the right call. Dak sure looks very weak at times. Better build a string cast around him if we want to win games. It starts with OL.
Only a few present-day forum members were posting for the switch to happen back then. The "team chemistry euphoria" was extremely thick in threads from late October 2016 through the postseason game. It was an exceedingly powerful mantra that had a life of its own.

Of course I am only referring to CowboysZone. The same was likely happening on other Cowboys fansites also.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Only a few present-day forum members were posting for the switch to happen back then. The "team chemistry euphoria" was extremely thick in threads from late October 2016 through the postseason game. It was an exceedingly powerful mantra that had a life of its own.

Of course I am only referring to CowboysZone. The same was likely happening on other Cowboys fansites also.
It was the main argument with the national talking heads as well . . . that mantra was in grained into all the minds of the Masses

Here's one. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...y-jones-start-dak-prescott-tony-romo-nfl-2016

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was the main argument with the national talking heads as well . . . that mantra was in grained into all the minds of the Masses
Bold> Some of the talking heads believed in it. Some still do. Other talking heads exploited the euphoria like any other topic to simply gain more viewers and initiate clicks.

I understand the money aspect. The other? Not so much.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Going back to 2016.

Even though Romo probably would have crumbled on the next sack he took, a part of me will always wonder what would have happened if Romo had been given a chance to gain his starting job back during the second half of the 2016 season.

Not saying that there was a chance in hell of that ever happening, but I do believe that if Romo had gotten the opportunity and if he could somehow have stayed healthy for the rest of the season, I do somehow believe he would have taken the Cowboys to the SB.

Something about that one series drive he had against the Eagles that made it look too easy. He looked like he was playing golf.

Knowing now that Dak was going to become just an above average QB, any regrets for not giving Romo one last shot?
No. Dak stats and results are the same or better than as Romo at this point in their careers. Except Romo lost more games on his own (Cabo, FG snap fumble, Three 8-8 last game of the season playoff losses, etc.). Dak has had the worst defenses.

Dak does not impress me as he did in 2016 and in parts of his game has regressed to like Romo does not check down to wide open RBs and TEs. Romo would force the ball into bad timed game losing turnovers. Dak holds on and gets sacked or strip sack fumble.

The best thing about Dak is Jerry the Dumbo GM Jones really has to surround him with offense and defense. He would get away with Romo gun slinging to hide problems on offense and defense. Dak does not let you get away without a no.1 WR, TE, OL, RB, DL, LB, DBs, etc. So actually Dak helps Arlington Jonesboys fans more to become Dallas Cowboys fans.

Dak not had a losing season as a full season starter. Dak never had a NFL record 13 Pro Bowlers like Romo. So they are what they are...messed up talent by Jerry Dumbo GM Jones.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Bold> Some of the talking heads believed in it. Some still do. Other talking heads exploited the euphoria like any other topic to simply gain more viewers and initiate clicks.

I understand the money aspect. The other? Not so much.
I just cant believe the Cowboy Fan base bought into it.

I could understand all the Cowboy Haters and Romo haters calling for Dak I couldn't understand the Cowboy fans parroting all those narratives. . . and to this day those same "fans" continue to use all the same talking points when tearing Romo's legacy apart.

They all hung on to those arguments to justify Dak now they are all dug in

Swagger

Reaction score
No. Dak stats and results are the same or better than as Romo at this point in their careers. Except Romo lost more games on his own (Cabo, FG snap fumble, Three 8-8 last game of the season playoff losses, etc.). Dak has had the worst defenses.

Dak does not impress me as he did in 2016 and in parts of his game has regressed to like Romo does not check down to wide open RBs and TEs. Romo would force the ball into bad timed game losing turnovers. Dak holds on and gets sacked or strip sack fumble.

The best thing about Dak is Jerry the Dumbo GM Jones really has to surround him with offense and defense. He would get away with Romo gun slinging to hide problems on offense and defense. Dak does not let you get away without a no.1 WR, TE, OL, RB, DL, LB, DBs, etc. So actually Dak helps Arlington Jonesboys fans more to become Dallas Cowboys fans.

Dak not had a losing season as a full season starter. Dak never had a NFL record 13 Pro Bowlers like Romo. So they are what they are...messed up talent by Jerry Dumbo GM Jones.
"Dak has had the worst defenses"

Surely you aren't being serious?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Never thought about this....Man why hasn't someone ever started a thread about it?
A more confusing question is....did Jerry do the right thing convincing Kellen Moore to take a clipboard....when he could have been your starting QB for years to come?

:popcorn:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Kellen Moore was not a veteran playable option in 2016 after sustaining a season-ending leg injury. Romo was the actual veteran option at the time. However, you pose the question.

My opinion? The answer is yes. Start the veteran. If the veteran underperforms, you replace him with the rookie. The switch can occur before or during a game, just as it has actually happened when the situation has surfaced in the sport at all its levels throughout history. Additionally, the switch could be mandated due to injury. So, Moore sustaining an injury on the first play during a game in the regular or postseason (as have others constantly stated ad nauseum would have happened to Romo in that situation) would not have excluded Prescott from replacing him.

Yeah, I disagree. The other thing I haven't seen in this thread (then again I'm not going to look over the entire thing) is that Dak had already beaten the Packers the same year in GB. Why wouldn't you think he could do it again at home? Romo had his chance in 2014 and it just didn't turn out. Defense was the culprit in both losses. They did their job in the regular season but not when it counted.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I disagree.
I know.
The other thing I haven't seen in this thread (then again I'm not going to look over the entire thing) is that Dak had already beaten the Packers the same year in GB. Why wouldn't you think he could do it again at home?
I never said Prescott could not have help the team beat Green Bay at home. In fact, I have repeatedly said Prescott was not the deciding factor in the game.

Again. What I have said in posts on this forum since late October 2016 is that no starting rookie quarterback has led their team to a Super Bowl appearance or win. If Dallas had beaten Green Bay, it is extremely likely the team would have lost the following NFC Conference championship game. The probability of a Prescott led team would have suffered the same fate as a New York Jets rookie Mark Sanchez quarterback led team would have been the zero also.
Romo had his chance in 2014 and it just didn't turn out. Defense was the culprit in both losses. They did their job in the regular season but not when it counted.
Yep. Veteran quarterbacks lose in the playoffs too. That is a century old truth.

A Romo-led team in 2016 may have ended up the exact same as the actual Prescott-led team. Maybe not. Variables are not defined until they play out. Same goes for the NFC Conference championship. Could have been a win or loss. The only definite outcome was that no postseason game will end in a tie. Ditto for the Super Bowl. For veteran quarterback led teams though. Not rookie quarterback led teams (0%).

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Funny how so many want to go back to where we had already been with Romo. He played in six playoff games and it simply wasn’t happening with him. It certainly wasn’t all his fault but he had his chances. Still can’t understand why so many fans wanted to mess with the mojo the team had developed with Dak. To say we would’ve won it all had we gone back to Romo is being stupid in my opinion based on his playoff/elimination game history.