If you had to choose, who would you want gone from Espn NFL Sunday Countdown?

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
I hated Jaws when he was a player, but I really like him now. At least there is one guy left that gets technical from time to time. For me, I say get rid of Steve "the elf" Young and just go with Berman/Jackson/Irvin/Jaws.

Young on Countdown reminds me of "SW1" from In Living Color...he really serves no purpose.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Get rid of all of them ... even Irvin.

The whole thing is almost unwatchable.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chief said:
Get rid of all of them ... even Irvin.

The whole thing is almost unwatchable.
The pregame show Foxsports had with Deacon Jones, Jay Mohr, Marv Levy, et al a couple years back was entertaining as hell. They never should have fooled with that one. I've never been too keen on any of the others but Fox's pregame is at least watchable. Except for Jillian Barberie. I wish she was gone.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Except for Jillian Barberie. I wish she was gone.

huh?... i just remember wishing her clothes would take a hike.

i sincerely believe a pole dance would greatly improve the quality of almost any weather report.

your thoughts?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:

i sincerely believe a pole dance would greatly improve the quality of almost any weather report.

your thoughts?
I have never considered women who try to be skanky attractive. She does nothing for me at all.

Waffle

Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:

your thoughts?
I'd settle for a return to the short skirts she seems to never wear anymore.
frown.gif

devil_5.gif

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Steve Young really doesn't know much about football. That sounds like a dumb thing to say considering he played in the NFL for many years but his comments don't show that he learned a lot about the game as a whole.

Michael Irvin, on the other hand, has some excellent comments and is very insightful, but he needs to tone it down a bit and be a little easier on the ears (and the eyes, drop the ugly suits Michael). He can really go off sometimes and is impossible to shut up and impossible to listen to as well even when he is right.

The best guy on the show is Tom Jackson. He usually knows what he is talking about and is pleasant to listen to. I can take a guy not being right on all the time if he is nice about it and TJ isn't off by that much most times.

Jaws is annoying but he has some very good insights during his breakdowns, other than that he should just shut up.

I would LOVE to see Darren Woodson on the show. The guy is articulate, easy to listen to, and knows the game. There are not enough defensive players in the booth but most of the ones I have seen I tend to like (Howie Long & TJ come to mind but Deion stunk).

Former QBs & WRs are usually too egotistic to be any good. Dan Marino and Boomer Esiason are terrible as is Steve Young. I like Aikman a lot but he needs to be on a different team because he & Joe Buck sound too much alike.

Merrill Hoge is a stooge. He took one too many shots to the head and should be working at Burger King instead of ESPN. The guy sucks.

Chris Berman knows nothing about the game of football except how to exploit it for PrimeTime and SportsCenter. He is such a poser it is pitiful! His incredibly obvious bias for the 49ERs, Packers, and Bills is pathetic. His love of certain players like Favre and Deion make me sick.

Sean Salisbury sucked as a player and he sucks as an anaylist. Him teaching Adam Sandler how to play QB for "The Longest Yard" remake is a joke.

Joe Theisemann is the worst announcer in the history of sports, period! The guy's voice is like nails on a chalkboard and he is a total and complete idiot when it comes to football. How can guys like him and Young play so long at such a crucial position and know so little about the game? It boggles the mind!

Paul McGuire's only saving grace is that he usually catches Joey-T in one of his endless mistakes and puts him down. Other than that he is a joke as well. He used to be an OK guy but maybe working alongside Joey-T for so long has ruined him.

Moose Johnston is going to be one of the best announcers around in a couple of years. He has an excellent speaking voice and way of expressing himself and a very solid knowledge of the game. As he learns the ins and outs of the announcing booth he could easily become the best in the business, the new Pat Summerall or Dick Enberg (the two top NFL announcers of all time IMO).

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I have never considered women who try to be skanky attractive. She does nothing for me at all.

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't find her type attractive.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Hostile said:

did you get the impression there was some effort involved? i never noticed that.

nope. i'd say she's "a natural".

i used to laugh my arse off at bradshaw's birddog act. guy was literally panting after jiggly-an.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
What I would like is more hard info and less fluff... I have never been into the dog and pony shows and watch football for the game itself...not the announcers, pre-game, half-time and post game shows... I want someone to standup and say BrINT Favre is over-rated and has been from the beginning and than "show and tell" why... I want game footage breakdown...not some NFL player milking a cow for community service for "united"(Yeah like there is a divided) Way... I want a lot less of the "star" pushing (you know where somebodies lips are firmly planted on the glutious maximus of a player) I want to hear about line play and coverages not about some qb that likes to sit on a tractor in the offseason...save it for the offseason...

I want to hear when a subsitution is made and never ever talk about what's on tonight during a ongoing play...

Heck Dr. Z and I agree on this..."It's all about the the game" not the other curricular crap...

<Zaxor steps down from podium to tremendous applause:D>

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
did you get the impression there was some effort involved? i never noticed that.

nope. i'd say she's "a natural".

i used to laugh my arse off at bradshaw's birddog act. guy was literally panting after jiggly-an.
Act or not, it just doesn't do anything for me. When a woman has to dress skanky and talk trashy to get men to notice her I don't want to see her without all that makeup.

Bradshaw always cracks me up whether he's being a hound or not. Has nothing to do with her.

Sifillest

Reaction score
id get rid of steve......only because hes a 49er.....and replace him with....emmitt smith.....bring back that old irvin smith chemistry we had in our second golden years....

Waffle

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Act or not, it just doesn't do anything for me. When a woman has to dress skanky and talk trashy to get men to notice her I don't want to see her without all that makeup.

I think you guys are really talking about Pam Anderson. ;)

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will settle for keeping the crew the same, ONLY, if they get rid of those 3 bozos on the Sunday night games.
:bang2: is what I do when I have to listen to them

Waffle

Reaction score
jazzcat22 said:
I will settle for keeping the crew the same, ONLY, if they get rid of those 3 bozos on the Sunday night games.

Turn down the TV sound and turn up Westwood One. Problem solved until they eventually show Theisman's stupid face for an in-booth segment.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jazzcat22 said:
Here's another blurb from the article which you might like:

As for ESPN’s plans for the Monday-night package it will be inheriting in 2006, we hear that the current Sunday-night team of Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann and Paul Maguire are the favorites — but hardly guaranteed in their entirety. Our sources have gotten a sense that ESPN is looking to make a splash on Monday nights, and that a partial change in the booth is possible.
---------
I'm thinking I should've posted the whole thing...;)

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Here's another blurb from the article which you might like:

As for ESPN’s plans for the Monday-night package it will be inheriting in 2006, we hear that the current Sunday-night team of Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann and Paul Maguire are the favorites — but hardly guaranteed in their entirety. Our sources have gotten a sense that ESPN is looking to make a splash on Monday nights, and that a partial change in the booth is possible.
---------
I'm thinking I should've posted the whole thing...;)
Please let there be a change I don't know if I could stand those three on MNF